TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Special Offer
City Experience 3=2
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Lagos
Laois
“Nice for a first timer in lagos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

it was my first time in lagos and I was worried about the quality of hotel , food etc...

to my pleasant surprise the moorhouse is lovely, very friendly staff, very nice room, air conditioning worked mosted of the time and kept the room at a nice temperature for me at least. The staff where very friendly and very respectful,
Room was clean, tv was good, minibar was lightly stocked but adequate for most needs. Room service was very quick and any problem I had was tended to efficiently by polite staff.

Food wise, breakfast was great try the steamed potatoes!!! no complaints whatsoever... dinner was ok, it is the same with most hotel food I find so its not a negative but if you do not want to venture out the food will suffice. a personal choice of mine was the Mexican burger ;) but the fries kept coming out luke warm so watch that but the spaghetti Bolognese was good and hot.

Service is the bar sometimes was slow, out of the 5 days I stay there only one night did I have to wait an hour for my drink and food, this is something that could be improved on but I will say this it was very busy but still an hour is excessive. of the other nights service was prompt friendly and efficient.

Two minotr negatives i will call out Internet was not great and varied greatly as you wen out the hotel someone did not put in a proper wireless controller to manage it correctly :)
Powercuts this is not the hotel's fault but is annoying, several times trying to watch tv and the power would go, I ended up watching on my tablet.

if I was coming back I would stay here again happily... so do try it out, well protected, well served close to the island and shopping, restaurants and cinemas.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Writing an opinion on a hotel in Lagos is rather difficult because the first concerns when you arrive in this megalopolis are security and location/traffic: For both I was very satisfied and probably these two factors are paramount on the minds of travelers to Nigeria, especially to Lagos. If you need to be on Victoria Island for work or other reasons then this is a great location and the nerve-wrecking traffic jams of Lagos may be bearable here, however if you are expecting to commute to the mainland from here then this may be a real problem if you plan to leave early in the morning and return when everyone else commutes to the island, since this happens to be the residential district of expatriates and the upper-middle and upper classes of the city. The scene of traffic on bridges connecting the island to the city is incredible.
As with everything else in Lagos, expect to pay the prices of the most expensive European cities with a quality of service that is rather poor. The hotel itself is located on a small road and may seem like a typical compound surrounded by high fences and wires. The lobby is nice and the style is nothing special although some effort was made to integrate local woodwork (much more may be done to add charm and style). Check-in was alright and the receptionist was not overly friendly but insisted on paying the whole amount of the stay since I wanted to pay in cash for my stay. I had chosen the executive room which was alright but really overpriced t: clean, spacious yet rundown. The air-conditioning either did not function well or was set on a standard fan-strength mode, which made the room very stuff given the humidity levels in Lagos. There was no way to alter the temperature. My window gave to a wall but a few rooms overlook the pool. The bathroom was clean (rundown too) and the amenities were very good. I had forgotten my toothpaste and I asked for some and within 10 minutes I received complementary toothpaste.
The wifi works well throughout the hotel, even in the pool area. The pool is nice and so is the gym although small but functional. You may experience very swift electricity cuts but the hotel may not be blamed for this and the cuts never last for more than a few seconds so this did not bother me at all. The elevator was broken once…
The big negative point: Food! For those who have never been to Lagos and going there for a few nights for work, let’s assume, chances are you will not be leaving your hotel after dark (probably should not), and you are limited to one restaurant which serves the exact same buffet every night (and if you lunch at the hotel you are out of luck because it is the same buffet!). There is the choice of choosing from the menu but for that you must be ready to pay prices of Michelin-starred restaurants. The buffet is good, local cuisine, but gets boring after a few meals. I ate once at the bar/snack area, the pizza was very good but arrived late and cold. Despite this though, I would like to thank the restaurant attendants for their friendliness and their attention. The first meal I had there was disappointing in terms of service but the second time I went they recognized me and since then they became very attentive. Breakfast is alright…

Room Tip: A few rooms overlook the pool and they are probably the best- you probably should avoid the ones ove...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Oldenzaal, Overijssel, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I was in Lagos for conducting business for a week. Booked a room in this hotel. I left the hotel early to switch to Southern Sun which is nearby. Main reasons were the badly working air conditioning which caused very hot rooms as well as having a room in the front with an extremely loud 24/7 humming power generator close to my window thus unpleasant nights. The room itself was nicely decorated all be it quite small. Staff also doesn't comply with the Platinum status privileges achieved through the Club Accor program (being a room upgrade and free welcome drink), not even when asked for it. When complaining at the reception for this, I was simply told that the hotel was full and besides trying to tweak the AC a bit, there was nothing to be done about it. That made me decide to leave the hotel early as I could not afford loosing any more sleep causing a negative impact on my business. Even when reporting that I would leave the hotel early at the reception, the response was careless and no inquiry whatsoever would be the reason for it.
It happened to happen that during my last dinner in the hotel restaurant, I was approached by a staff member who asked me if I liked my stay. I indicated once more the issues I was facing and that I was leaving the hotel because of that. She directly escalated the matter to the manager which on her turn directly took action to find me a different room. She did acknowledge that there were problems with the AC which could not be resolved on a short notice. For me this came too late and I decided to switch hotels anyway. Have to say I really appreciate the way this was picked up eventually, had it been earlier, I would possibly have stayed.

Back to the hotel itself. They have a small but nice looking swimming pool in the garden. The hotel is surrounded by a high wall and feels secure. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated and beds are comfortable. Wifi access is decent and there are no limitations towards the amount of devices you can use. You get a complimentary bottle of water in your room each day. Unfortunately no hot water kettle with tea or coffee. The room has a small safe to store valuables in.
The staff in the restaurant is very friendly, though the food is only of average quality and the prices are high. Compared to the food in Southern Sun which was extremely incredibly good, this is certainly a point to work on.

All in all, next time I would visit Lagos I would surely have a hard time choosing between this hotel and Southern Sun, but I might choose this one and then just have dinner in Southern Sun.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the front. There is a lot of noise in the morning from trucks honking their...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I spent a whole week in Moorhouse in Lagos. It doesn't look like a hotel from outside, but as you get inside you feel comfortable. Staff are friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and convenient, except for the bathroom which looked small to me. Internet connection is very good and the food is excellent. Only I wish they could put their generator in a sound proof canopy. Most probably I will stay there upon my return to Lagos.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Mr Amr H:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos, for us your feedback is very important.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the prevoius one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

I remain at your disposal

Davenport, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel provides excellent services in all aspects maintaining and even surpassing Accor standards internationally. The breakfast is super, they serve assorted international and local cuisines. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff are courteous and friendly. I have stayed at this hotel twice, I will still stay there in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Segebaba:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experinece at The Moorhouse Ikoyi in Lagos, I am glad you have enjoyed your stay while with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive your this positive comments and I will will share them with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Hungerford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Moorhouse is a haven amidst the muck and disorder of Lagos. The rooms are fully equipped, clean and tidy (and everything works). I was disappointed that they advertise spa treatments, but when I asked they said it was no longer available. Apart from that, the bed is very comfortable with lots of pillows and every time I stay I get a good, relaxing sleep. One small thing, avoid Room 302, it is right next to the generator that is on most of the time and is noisy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear jane1storm:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our clients.

I am glad to read that you enjoy a lot our comfortable beds, we are a real haven in the bustle city of Lagos, unfortunately the SPA is not anymore inside the hotel but now we are offering SPA services in a another space also with our quality service.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and I hope you will visit us very soon and that you find next stay as pleasaant as the prevous one.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

A small compound close to the centre of business, behind the gates a pool, rooms, a bar and a really good restaurant, just about sums it all up, Except to say that the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. We stayed sat,sun Monday nights and dined in the bar on the first night arriving late from Lagos airport. We had between us 5 dishes in the hotel restaurant and all wee of excellent quality especially the Beef in ginger.
The hotel was quiet with little to do in the surrounding area although trips outside were discouraged by the British Council.

Room Tip: Inner facing rooms (odd numbers are quieter, Avoid 302,304,202,204 due to noisey kitchen exhaust goi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Steve361,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos. It is always a pleasure to receive this type of feedback fom our clients.

I am glad you have enjoyed most of our services, about our staff Iwill share your comments regard them with our team, I am sure this feedback will encourage them to keep improving in the quality of our services.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Nigeria

Been to The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos? Share your experiences!