TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Bankole Oki Road | Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Special Offer
City Experience 3=2
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Lagos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Munich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

While located in a secure neighbourhood everything else expected from a hotel of this accor category was just absent.

The most annoying observation was absence of water pressure at night and in the morning colured, presumably rusty, tap water. While that in itself is not dangerous it is a clear indication of malfunction of the water treatment unit with the foreseeable health implications .

Next morning this observation was reported to the front desk. First they denied any maintenance activity but shortly thereafter confirmed work. However, the front desk insisted that the water treatment unit was running perfectly.

As I have some professional knowledge in this field I responded that this is technically impossible as the water system downstream has to be clean from contaminations of any kind.

Later that day in the evening the operations manager contacted me and I repeated the analysis. She asked whether I have other observations to share with her. She confirmed to be serious about this.

So we went to my room and I walked her around.

First impression at opening the door is an odour of rotten material which she observed, too. Obvious source was the aircon duct. A quick wipe with the finger tip showed a greasy, smelly dirt at the air grille. Anyone may make his own assumptions on maintenance and contamination level of the HVAC-system.

Next I showed the layers of dirt and mold in the shower cabin and took a sample with the room access card. Cleaning would just have been a matter of effort.

Other small examples like the wc brush holder with massive dirt on the presumed original chrome surface just underlined the previous findings.

The operations manager took note of these findings, no dispute on the factual matters. In my opinion such observations indicate deficiencies in the housekeeping in general, that cannot be a matter of a single room maid.

I had the optimistic assumption that next days room cleaning would change the situation. Unfortunately it was just cleaning as usual leaving the contamination/dirt untouched.

With this experience in mind it is a fair assumption that the level of hygiene is not much different in other sections of the hotel.

That may explain why I had again diarrhoe after staying in this hotel.

Just for the sake of clarity, I am travelling in Africa on business matters quite frequently, but this in one of the places I will try to avoid in future.

Room Tip: Sorry, no idea
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Speedster1721:

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos.

My sincerest apology for all technical and operational problems you had experience during your stay.
Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you have mentioned in order to prevent future occurrence.

I will remain at your disposal, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped. The laundry services are very efficient and the WiFi is much improved from previous years. Staff are generally friendly and courteous. Breakfast aside, the food is poor and the menu is unchanged since 2011. Evening meal prices are eye wateringly expensive. There can't be many places in the world where a tasteless lamb curry will cost you 30 pounds. If they got the food sorted out I would definitely recommend the Moorhouse.

• Stayed July 2013
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Rob S:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at The Moorhouse Ikoyi in Lagos, your feddback is very important to us.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay while with us, The Moorhouse is a quite property in the area of Ikoyi, where you find peace after a busy day in the busy Lagos. We also take this opportunity to inform you that we are in the process of reviewing our menu.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we will be expecting you during your next trip.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The other reviews have it pretty much right. Room and bed are comfortable and clean, bathroom modern, front desk friendly and helpful, breakfast quite good. Unfortunately, other aspects are quite poor. The shower water was too hot - but maintenance was able to fix this quickly. Following the fix, the water from the tap was brown. Dinner and bar food was not very good - an ingredients issue that is easy to fix. Service other than front desk friendly but inattentive. In a city where you are stuck in your hotel because traffic makes moving around difficult, these base comforts are essential. If they just fixed these basics, then this could become a good option for (under-hotel'ed) Lagos.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Micha-roch:

We appreciate you took the time to share with us about your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos.

I am sorry that you experienced so many maintenance issues; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
We will take appropriate measures to avoid this type of situations in the near future.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in your next trip.

Colchester, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Use the Southern Sun or Moorhouse for Lagos business trips and it serves its purpose pretty well. The location is good for me on Ikoyi Island and the amenities are all there - I would prefer a better gym but other than that it provides what I need when away for a week or two. The staff are friendly and I used the room service fairly often, food isn't bad at all and was fair value for an expensive city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. PeteF621:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos.

I am glad that our hotel fits well in your trip purposes to Lagos, as you mentioned we are located in Ikoyi a central area in town..

Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Moorhouse on 4 separate occasions with varying experiences. The bar/ lounge area is still a lovely, cosy space with reasonable service. However the once charming, contemporary, albeit small rooms are looking dated and showing wear and tear and bathrooms are in need of some sprucing up. I also suspect some personnel changes have occurred in the kitchen as the previously good standard of food and service has slipped somewhat. On one occasion I waited over 20 mins for some vanilla ice cream because it was "frozen and needed to thaw" only to be served strawberry - because there was no vanilla. I'm not sure why it took over 20mins to let me know this. The breakfast and lunch buffet selection is also increasingly limited and uninspired with a couple of mains and dessert choices limited to fruit and cheese. A la carte would be better except for the 20 minute plus wait. Moorhouse is still a cosy, intimate business hotel with a great location in Ikoyi, well situated for both business and pleasure, but competition in Lagos has intensified and for the same price Southern Sun, Federal Palace, Wheatbaker all offer a better overall experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jane E

First let me thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos.

As you mentioned we are a cozy hotel in the middle of this big city.
All your comments are well noted and the measures are starting to being place in order to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have stayed here several times as a business traveller and during my first trip the food was ok, now I have to say that it is awful... The breakfast is wonderful with fresh fruit and toast meats and cereals but the evenings is not good - I had chicken that tasted of something else??? And an uncooked burger pasta is ok but a girl can't live on pasta alone... The staff are tremendously polite and welcoming and the rooms are standard and clean - probably will try somewhere else next time though I'm afraid as of course like most my movement is restricted so I can't just pop out and get food elsewhere - good food is important in a business hotel

Room Tip: If you like watching the world go by ask for a room looking out on the road - I love watching everyo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mrs Lisahelenakelly

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos. Unfortunately this experience did not meet your expectations.

I am taking note about your suggestion and I am glad that you really enjoy our Breakfast and the ambience of the hotel. Let me assure you that we will take the appropriate measures to address the concerns about the food.

Nigeria

Been to The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!