TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Special Offer
City Experience 3=2
Ranked #17 of 71 hotels in Lagos
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay in quiet hotel. Food lets it down.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped. The laundry services are very efficient and the WiFi is much improved from previous years. Staff are generally friendly and courteous. Breakfast aside, the food is poor and the menu is unchanged since 2011. Evening meal prices are eye wateringly expensive. There can't be many places in the world where a tasteless lamb curry will cost you 30 pounds. If they got the food sorted out I would definitely recommend the Moorhouse.

• Stayed July 2013
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Rob S:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at The Moorhouse Ikoyi in Lagos, your feddback is very important to us.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay while with us, The Moorhouse is a quite property in the area of Ikoyi, where you find peace after a busy day in the busy Lagos. We also take this opportunity to inform you that we are in the process of reviewing our menu.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we will be expecting you during your next trip.

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The other reviews have it pretty much right. Room and bed are comfortable and clean, bathroom modern, front desk friendly and helpful, breakfast quite good. Unfortunately, other aspects are quite poor. The shower water was too hot - but maintenance was able to fix this quickly. Following the fix, the water from the tap was brown. Dinner and bar food was not very good - an ingredients issue that is easy to fix. Service other than front desk friendly but inattentive. In a city where you are stuck in your hotel because traffic makes moving around difficult, these base comforts are essential. If they just fixed these basics, then this could become a good option for (under-hotel'ed) Lagos.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Micha-roch:

We appreciate you took the time to share with us about your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos.

I am sorry that you experienced so many maintenance issues; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
We will take appropriate measures to avoid this type of situations in the near future.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in your next trip.

Colchester, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Use the Southern Sun or Moorhouse for Lagos business trips and it serves its purpose pretty well. The location is good for me on Ikoyi Island and the amenities are all there - I would prefer a better gym but other than that it provides what I need when away for a week or two. The staff are friendly and I used the room service fairly often, food isn't bad at all and was fair value for an expensive city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. PeteF621:

I am glad that our hotel fits well in your trip purposes to Lagos, as you mentioned we are located in Ikoyi a central area in town..

Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Moorhouse on 4 separate occasions with varying experiences. The bar/ lounge area is still a lovely, cosy space with reasonable service. However the once charming, contemporary, albeit small rooms are looking dated and showing wear and tear and bathrooms are in need of some sprucing up. I also suspect some personnel changes have occurred in the kitchen as the previously good standard of food and service has slipped somewhat. On one occasion I waited over 20 mins for some vanilla ice cream because it was "frozen and needed to thaw" only to be served strawberry - because there was no vanilla. I'm not sure why it took over 20mins to let me know this. The breakfast and lunch buffet selection is also increasingly limited and uninspired with a couple of mains and dessert choices limited to fruit and cheese. A la carte would be better except for the 20 minute plus wait. Moorhouse is still a cosy, intimate business hotel with a great location in Ikoyi, well situated for both business and pleasure, but competition in Lagos has intensified and for the same price Southern Sun, Federal Palace, Wheatbaker all offer a better overall experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jane E

First let me thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos.

As you mentioned we are a cozy hotel in the middle of this big city.
All your comments are well noted and the measures are starting to being place in order to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have stayed here several times as a business traveller and during my first trip the food was ok, now I have to say that it is awful... The breakfast is wonderful with fresh fruit and toast meats and cereals but the evenings is not good - I had chicken that tasted of something else??? And an uncooked burger pasta is ok but a girl can't live on pasta alone... The staff are tremendously polite and welcoming and the rooms are standard and clean - probably will try somewhere else next time though I'm afraid as of course like most my movement is restricted so I can't just pop out and get food elsewhere - good food is important in a business hotel

Room Tip: If you like watching the world go by ask for a room looking out on the road - I love watching everyo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mrs Lisahelenakelly

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos. Unfortunately this experience did not meet your expectations.

I am taking note about your suggestion and I am glad that you really enjoy our Breakfast and the ambience of the hotel. Let me assure you that we will take the appropriate measures to address the concerns about the food.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Welcoming staff (apart from some of the guys in front desk) - a special thanks to Jimoh for excellent customer service every time. The bar is my favourite part of the hotel, cozy, comfortable, good selection of drinks and snacks - it can get smokey at times though ( why do they let people smoke indoors these days!) The restaurant is poor - dark and dingy, with no ambience. A bit of music will do wonders. An unbelievably basic menu which hardly ever changes (it must be the worst I've ever come across) they could do so much better ! But importantly the restaurant is clean - never had a problem eating here. The pool area is nice - never crowded. The rooms are basic with dark furniture. Bed is very comfortable though. No mozzies in the room. The bathroom is OK but the shower is terrible. Don't order room service- they take ages to deliver. Limited choice of tv channels - can get boring for long stayers. Laundry is far too expensive - priced in USD. All in all this is an average hotel which can do so much better with a bit of initiative.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing the pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear client Ratagiyadub;

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

As you mentioned in your comments places like the bar, the swimming pool area and rooms are very cozy and comfortable, we offer a haven of calm in the bustling city if Lagos.
Also I will extend your comments to our Front Officer Jimoh and the team about his excellent customer service.

Thank you for your suggestions and comments, we will take them in consideration. Your feedback is very important to us and let me assure that we are taking the appropriate measures to address this situations and prevent future occurrence.

Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have been going to The Moorhouse for many years as a resident guest and as a bar lounger (great wine list)

It's the only hotel were I can get FRESH ORANGE JUICE at anytime of the day and that's a big deal to anyone in pursuit of an easy 5-a-day option.

The lounge is ultra cosy with ambient amber tones; the bar staff are the friendliest in Lagos; the lobby is full of beautiful art and in the same lobby there is gorgeous grand piano which definitely does not get enough play (hint hint get a jazz pianist in there asap)

The gym is tiny but very serene and does the job.
The rooms are well appointed, beds divine and very very comfy and have given me some of the best hours of sleep I have had in Lagos outside of my own home.

The hotel is cute, quaint, with lots of flora and vegetation and definitely has a little bit of the old Ikoyi charm...I would highly recommend The Moorhouse to both business and leisure travellers as well as residents of Lagos looking for a refreshing weekend or ''stay-cation'

P.S Love the complimentary bar nibble mix which has wait for it.....plantain chips. Deilightful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Ugoma:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos. I am very glad you enjoy a lot our hotel

I will share your comments with our team and as you mentioned this place is a haven of calm in the bustling city of Lagos.

Nigeria

Been to The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos? Share your experiences!