TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

You added The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Bankole Oki Road | Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Lagos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Not much couleur locale in the Moorhouse (formerly Sofitel) apart from some African darkwoods in the rooms and some Nigerian food options in the restaurant - but entirely comfortable and pleasant to stay in for the international traveller. The pool is indeed nice even if it rains. Very much up to all Western standards.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Client,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our clients.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

My company tends to use this hotel for travelling employees as it is supposedly one of the best in Lagos though I have nothing to compare it with. The rooms were a very high standard considering and the hotel was clean, safe and comfortable. Breakfast service perhaps a bit tardy but check out the gym - not bad, pool not exactly Olympic standard but all right. At the time I believe Moorhouse was one of Lagos' premier hotels - these days many more hotels are competing at this level so I think the Moorhouse is struggling to maintain custom - it is expensive like most foreign experiences are in Nigeria (over £200 per night) but you will not be disappointed if you stay here - though I could not imagine why anyone would stay in this part of Lagos unless it was business related - you absolutely must have a driver - do not think for one minute as a westerner you can drive in this city and don't go outside your hotel alone after dark unless in "experienced" company. I rather liked the bar where you could order up food and enjoy the local beer and the usual western stuff - club sandwich a must. Free wifi throughout but each time you logged on you needed a new password from reception. Very helpful and friendly staff - I've been a bit mean on the average rating but you will be fine if you stay here - be sensible in Nigeria and you will be fine - most of the trouble is in the North of the country but get a proper security briefing before you travel and talk to the hotel staff too - I found the Nigerians lovely people - they want you to come back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Client,

We really appreciate all your comments regarding your stay at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our clients.

I will share your comments with the team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Regarding breakfast I will take the appropriate measures to address the situation in order to better serve in the near future.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos, I can see you use almost all of our services, now we have a SPA massage that is a new option for our clients after a long day to enjoy a relax moment.

Banalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed at Moorhouse for 5 days on a business trip. This was my first trip to Lagos and even Africa, so not very familiar with culture there. I would say people are friendly, especially in this hotel, staff helped with all information I needed, service was good and quality of food is good.

Positives:
1. Good security, which is a must in Lagos.
2. Comfortable room, nice king size bed, spacious and decently equipped bathroom, all other basic amenities like swimming pool, gym and restaurant fully functional and well maintained.
3. Good food and decent menu. They have lunch and dinner buffet with good spread of Nigerian cuisine, rice varieties, chicken, fish, beef, etc and options for vegetarians too. Well spread buffet breakfast.
4. Located in Ikoyi which is not too far from main business locations in city.
5. Clean and well sanitized.
6. Helpful staff.

Negatives:
1. Room rates too expensive for the kind of accommodation provided. I have stayed at half these prices in different parts of world with 5 times better and luxurious accommodation. May be this has to do with cost of operating a hotel in Lagos (extra security, electricity mostly using power backup)
2. Food is expensive if you intend to eat here. Buffet cost me $40. Other items in menu looked highly priced.
3. Some people mentioned this is quite and peaceful location. I found it too boring with nothing around to walk up to. Even taxi provided by hotel was too expensive. They charge $40 to go 2 km and come back. Local taxis and public transport may not be safe and reliable.
4. TV entertainment was very limited and boring. Just few channels (BBC and CNN most recognized, some french, couple of sports and local channels). No HBO, Star, or other international channels.
5. Reception and lounge was not interesting either.

Overall: Decent but not worth the money charged.

Room Tip: My room was facing a street, so nothing interesting. I guess rooms facing the pool may make you feel...
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed at the Moorehouse for five days and have nothing but praise for the hotel. The breakfast is excellent and was included in the rate. I also ate dinner one night at the hotel and while the price was relatively high (as all things in Lagos) the quality was outstanding. The staff was friendly, efficient and helpful. I genuinely can not recall walking past an employee without receiving a friendly hello etc. and a smile. One often hears that service in Lagos can be atrocious however at The Moorhouse it compares favorably to any hotel where I have stayed. The room was clean and the bed wonderful with clean and soft sheets. I look foward to staying at The Moorhouse again!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that over looks the pool as they tend to be more quiet than ones that front the ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TheMoorhouse, General Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear Client,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay wih us, and hope next trip you can also enjoy other services like the gym and the SPA massage that just open this month.

Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

a good hotel, with efficient and courteous staff, good food and safe location. only flaw was the swimming pool was not clean. restaurant had a good tasty food with better than average service, though as in all of Nigeria, vegan food is a non existent. Though the chef is helpful enough to not let you starve :P. All in all, a good choice, although a bit on the higher side of expense.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TheMoorhouse, Manager at The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos, your feeback is very important to us.

Please be rest assured that we will take the appropriate measures to address the situation you found during your stay. I am glad you enjoy our restaurant and food as you mentioned.

We appreciate you, sharing your concerns, hope your next stay with us, will be much pleasant.

The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos

Been to The Moorhouse Ikoyi Lagos - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!