TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Review of Ibis Lagos Airport

Save Saved
You added Ibis Lagos Airport to your Saves list
Ibis Lagos Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Murtala Mohamed Intl Airport Road | Ajao Estate, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Ranked #22 of 71 hotels in Lagos
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel within six months. It is very convenient from the international airport. The team of staff there are very friendly, they always try to help whatever the situation. It has easy access to all parts of Lagos, unlike if you stay on the Island where access to mainland lagos is dependent on the traffic on the three main bridges. I would recommend it to anyone from Europe because of their customer service attitude. There is one area of improvement I would like to suggest and that is the car service I requested did not arrive until after 30 minutes I cleared immigration. I did not like waiting around at the airport. Otherwise it's a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Few months ago I stayed on 2nd floor, this visit I stayed on the 1st floor. I preferred the second f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Richard_robaix, Front Office Manager at Ibis Lagos Airport, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear AndyA875,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us.

I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful; your feedback will be communicated with our team. I apologize on behalf of our car service department. Please be assured that I have corrected the situation.

Thank you for staying at Ibis Lagos Airport and I look forward to your next visit.

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Turkish first
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The good thing about Ibis is that you generally get the corporate offering. In this case it was almost there and considering the Nigeria effect it is OK. Its not too far from the airport (about N3000 by taxi).
Layout and reception was as you would expect - the rooms were not so good. Grubby round the door handles and stained carpets but clean bed linen and towels in the bathroom. The rate for the Ibis is $150 which in most places would be over the top but is average for a hotel in Lagos.
Breakfast was really good!! A real bonus and a good way to start the day.
Would I stay again - perhaps
Did I 'enjoy' my stay - not really
Recommend - if you are passing through, then yes

Do bear in mind that hotel service levels in Nigeria and maintenance quality are subterranean. Set your expectations at 'disaster' and you will be OK

Dear Keith1955,

Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for the condition of the room you stayed. We always look for areas that needs improvement and ways that we can be better. We are currently focusing on stains and other maintenance issues noticed.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Yes, this hotel is in Nigeria, but that's no excuse for letting the rooms go into disrepair. In my room there were stains on the carpet, the TV was really small and the bathroom smelled moldy. Service in the restaurant was inattentive and the food was expensive and mediocre. The hotel is very close to the airport, which is its primary advantage. If not for that, I would have spent another $100 for the Sheraton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear FlySeeFly,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your comment.

It is very disappointing to hear that your stay at Ibis Lagos Airport was not pleasant. Please accept my apology and give us a second chance.

I can be reached at h6708-fo@accor.com.

Deepest Apologies,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for my short trip for a board meeting in Lagos. My room ( 251) was on the 2nd floor with poor view. The rooms were neat and serviceable. The air conditioning was good. The major advantage of this hotel is it's proximity to the airport (local and international). The meals were nice with a wide variety of African and continental cousine. However the service is slow. You need to order for your meals especially breakfast one hour ahead of time. while the rooms are neat the corridors and walkways require a little more attention. The environment is difficult and noisy. This hotel is average in it's quality of service.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with an external view not a view of the hotel court yard.
Dear Andrew,

We appreciate your comment and thank you for staying at Ibis Lagos Airport. We are currently upgrading our rooms and we will pay more attention to our walkways.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return.

yola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have read some of the other reviews and decided to book here for an overnight business stay. The hotel is very conveniently located close to the airport - if you are just transiting through Lagos, this is a plus due to the normal Lagos traffic (which is hectic at the best of times). Don't be fooled by travel times quoted between hotel and airport - it is totally unpredictable in Lagos.

The room rates are very reasonable compared to others in Nigeria.The room rate included breakfast.

Yes the rooms are not very big, but I don't mind if it is just for transit purposes. The room was clean and very comfortable - I had a good night's rest after about 6 hours on the road. The bed and pillows was designed for weary travelers. Staff were friendly and the restaurant was good (according to Nigeria standards). That means the food was not spectacular, but it was very acceptable to my western palette. The restaurant caters for both local Nigeria tastes as well as western dishes. They had a fixed price buffet that included both Nigerian and western dishes for dinner. The breakfast however was the highlight for me - a wide variety buffet expected from any high class hotel. I cannot fault the breakfast at all - in actual fact I rate it as absolutely great.

Two little things bothered me however about the stay: There was not bottled water in the room (this is an absolute must in all African hotels due to the quality of local water) and also no form of milk to go with the coffee and tea supplied in the rooms. These two things are really such low cost little items that would have made a difference to my overall impression of my stay.

The bigger issue that bothered me was the musty smell on the 4th floor (I don't know about the other floors). I noticed this when I got out of the lift on the 4th floor. The smell that met me was one of wet musty carpets. It was only the next morning that I discovered the cause of this - the ceiling in the passage outside the rooms on the 4th floor is rotten and dripping water in places and is covered in black mold! I have been told that renovations are still on the go and that this was an issue that will be addressed during this process. I was also told that the problem exist only on the 4th floor, but I did not confirm this myself.

Overall - this hotel has huge potential and will become a regular for me, but not until the little issues and the big issue of the black mold has been rectified. I hope this will be done soon - the convenient location near the airport is definitely an attraction for me (I dislike heavy traffic).

Room Tip: I took a room not facing the road as suggested by others - i.e. overlooking the pool. It was not noi...
Dear RenaldoRheeder,

Your comment is greatly appreciated. I am glad you know how horrible traffic can be in Nigeria. Staying with us eliminates the traffic stress to and from the airport.

We are currently fixing the dripping water problem from our cooling system. Thank you again for your comment and we hope to see you again.

Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The Ibis at Lagos airport is not cheap for what you get, but is a thoroughly serviceable hotel. My room (211) was clean and had pretty much the softest and most comfortable bed I've had in ages. I had a brilliant nights sleep.

Dining choices are limited, but up to scratch. Due to arriving late evening, all I could manage was a cheeseburger at the bar, and it came with a good portion of fries. Burger itself was cooked well, and nothing to complain about.

Breakfast is good, although I felt some of the hot dishes could be hotter. The fruit is great, as was the bread and pastries.

Not used the pool, but this can be seen from the bar and looks clean and well kept.

The staff I have dealt with have always been polite and efficient. I've had no reason to complain about anything, but am sure they would deal with it quickly.

The only reason I don't like going to this hotel is that it means I am returning to work!

• Stayed June 2013
Richard_robaix, Front Office Manager at Ibis Lagos Airport, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Skottydog,

Thank you for your comment. It was a great pleasure having you at Ibis Lagos Airport.

We appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to write this comment and we look forward to your next visit even though it means you have to return to work.

york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

A wonderful recluse from the noise outside! I've stayed in several places around Lagos but the Ibis is the one that you can rely on. Lagos is unpredictable and totally different from any other place I've been, I realised that pretty quickly. It is important to think about this before writing a review. The hotel is very comfortable, the staff are very friendly, the pool is wonderful and the hotel grounds are immaculate. The hotel manager makes you feel welcome, he takes the time to come and have a chat and even remembers your name! Anywhere you stay in Lagos you will have problems. It just depends on how quickly they are addressed! The Ibis was very good from my experience.

Thank you Richard.

Room Tip: Away from the road is more peaceful!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Richard_robaix, Front Office Manager at Ibis Lagos Airport, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear David0911,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take pride in what we do and we always go above and beyond to welcome our guests.

Your comment is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Airport Lagos.

Ibis Lagos Airport

Been to Ibis Lagos Airport? Share your experiences!