TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Awolowo Road, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Ranked #25 of 81 Hotels in Lagos
Lagos, Nigeria
“alihameed A.K.A worst hotel....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I find this report untrue, biased and has no basis. Protea hotel Ikoyi Westwood is a hotel of international standard and thus guests satisfaction is paramount and therefore, Protea hotel ikoyi Westwood will and can never under any circumstances check you into a room with all the issues raised by you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My Last stay in Protea Hotel Ikoyi was enjoyable. Your Wifi speed is super. The staff are warm and friendly. I would like to stay again in your newly renovated room (the suit). The breakfast is very much of International standard.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PHIKOYI, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Hi Mr JackW. So kind of you to take time to put your thoughts on paper. We take the needs of our clients serious, and make services available to fit their needs. We are in a process of upgrading all rooms, and will have sparkling new rooms throughout the Hotel soon. Hope to see you soon, and please say hi to Arnold.
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

When I walked in to the hotel I was the only customer on the reception but they took time in finding my reservation, it was very hot on the main lobby. When I finally entered my room I found out the AC was not working there as well and water was dripping out on the floor, room was not clean, saw used tissues on the floor, no soap/shampoo in the wash room and one half filled water bottle was there on the table. I called the reception to complain but no one picked, I went down and complained they replied its hot due to the weather, room will now be cleaned as you have checked in. I asked for the WiFi password and they told me that Internet is down and will be back shortly, it didn't come back until my early checkout next day . They changed my room at night to a cleaner one with no WiFi and provided me a cable for Internet. Although hotel was booked for 4 days but I checked out next day and checked in to Southern Sun Ikoyi for next 4 days (as my trip was extended for one more day).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PHIKOYI, General Manager at Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for the time you took to report this incident. It gives us valuable information where we fall short, and where to focus on training effort.

My sincere apologies for the bad experience you encountered at our Hotel. It seems that what could go wrong, did. No excuse will make up for your unpleasant welcoming, experience in our room and difficulty to use our services.

According to your report, some standard procedures and policies seems to have been ignored in the execution of duties. It is definitely not the custom to allow a guest to go to the room unaccompanied, more so to leave a GUEST in an unmade room. We did manage to place you in a room ready for you. We have recently improved on our WiFi-service. This should not be a problem in future.

Please accept our apologies for your stay. We hope to see you in future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I've stayed here a few times and have enjoyed it every time. The front desk staff are very nice and helpful but some of the service staff (waiters, house keeping) could learn a bit more. The breakfast has enough good international and Nigerian options to eat and were mostly good. I've only had dinner a few times, but i've never had a complaint.

The "standard" rooms are on the smaller side, but for shorter stays its adequate. They seem to be making some upgrades to the hotel which is nice but it has a little bit more to go. Its in a good location for the most part...depending on where you need to be in the city. Its near the highway so easy access getting to and from the airport.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
PHIKOYI, General Manager at Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our Hotel. Please try our de lux or suites next time. The upgrades are going well and will be finished in early 2014.
The traffic in Lagos is challenging, but with our access to all routes makes it easy to get to your destination.
Hope to see you back shortly.
Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This functional hotel on the waters edge offers comfortable accomodation, staff who try hard and does provide an adequate place to stay whilst in Lagos.
My gripes include inefficient wi fi offering use of only one device at a time and the need to log in frequently; the rooms are not cleaned well and during my stay I never saw nor heard a vacuum cleaner anywhere and the buffet food , whilst offering adequate variety was not apertising.....
Front office ladies were friendly and efficient but service could be slow as often only one person on the desk.
Restaurant service is erratic , good when you get it but hard to find.......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your response about our Hotel. I noted your areas of concern and will see that we improve. We have added a fiber optic solution to our current radio signal.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I lodged at the hotel..oh my d services was of international standard, the rooms and public area where well kept. The services was excellent and the staff of the hotel were very friendly and professional. I would like to come back again and I every should visit. Whew I didn't feel like leaving. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed June 2013
yola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Having known the Protea brand for many years, this was an obvious choice when I was looking for my one night stay over in Lagos. Since it was just a stay over, location was not my main concern. The room met with nearly all my expectations - it was clean and comfortable and provided a good night's rest. Little things like the missing wash basin plug and the flat batteries in the aircon remote could have been checked before my arrival and rectified - I could even have called down to reception to have it attended to, but I was too tired to do so at 11 o'clock at night.

The reception staff was very friendly and helpful and certainly made me feel welcome.

Dinner in the hotel restaurant consisted of tomato and basil soup (I loved it) followed by a beef burger with cheese (disappointingly bland). The waiter service was prompt, but the kitchen staff did not show the same promptness unfortunately - service from the kitchen was very slow - my soup took nearly an hour.

Breakfast this morning was great. Once again prompt and friendly service by the waiters. The lady serving at the food section was a great disappointment however. She was grumpy and unfriendly and took 15 minutes to top up the cold meats and cheese after I asked for it nicely, and when she did this eventually appeared even more grumpy.

All-in-all I have to admit that this was a one night business stay over (maybe I caught some staff on a bad day), and that all the issues are easily fixable with a bit of attention to friendliness and efficient customer service. I hope that management sees it in that light and get all the staff up to the required professional level that is synonymous to the Protea brand.

I have to come past Lagos again on my way back home. Will I stay here again? I am not sure - there are many other choices in the area.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood? Share your experiences!