TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Offers & Announcements
$404 (USD)
Ranked #4 of 71 hotels in Lagos
Lagos, Nigeria
“Southern Sun Lagos - Does it in Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Having been in Nigeria for nearly two months and having stayed at many hotels and other forms of accommodation, this hotel was not only a breathe of fresh air, but also brings 1st class and 1st word standards to West Africa. From the decor, to the staff, the executive rooms and facilities, there is a golden thread that runs through everything, bringing continuity and style to the table, and you are never left wanting or disappointed. The General Manager, Mark Loxley is certainly no different. He adds that extra touch of personal attention to his guests and to every detail. Being in the Travel Industry, pleasing me is certainly no easy task, yet I was not only pleased, but utterly delighted. I will certainly not only be staying here every time I am in Lagos, but will advise all my clients that when it comes to accommodation in Lagos, there is no other than The Southern Sun Ikoyi. Thank you southern Sun for the most pleasurable stay, bar none. Thank you to the friendly staff, the culinary delights and to each and every person responsible for creating the most superb service and atmosphere that will absolutely be sorely missed by me, and everybody who has ever stayed here. Keep up the GREAT work guys, I will eagerly anticipate my return.

Lauren Lloyd-Lister

Room Tip: I stayed in both the standard and the executive rooms. The price difference is negligible, but the...
ssih, Manager at Southern Sun Ikoyi, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Lauren,

We want to appreciate you for your comments and your recommendations, we are glad we could meet your expectations. It was a previledge having you stay with us.

We are committed to excellent service delivery and committed to sustaining this standard.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

329 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Southern Sun Ikoyi invested what for me I consider the single most important asset in the service industry - Customer Service.
All member of staff are extremely kind and warm and will always be the first to greet you. If you have the time, they will even find out how your day is coming so far.

The breakfast (complimentary) is great and you have a wide range of dishes to choose them.
I have had dinner a couple of time and I can say that I was not disappointed. I am yet to try their giant shrimps (I heard they are delicious) though, but when I do, I will sure do write about my experience.

With the very frequent power outages in Nigeria, SS-Ikoyi have a working a generator and essential services (internet in my case) are never affected by these.

From a location point of view, it serves my purpose as a telecom consultant. I can easily access all the major telecom operators I am doing business with.

Lastly, the hotel staff will go out of their to help with minor details - batteries, chargers...etc.....In fact one day, they got me a spare mobile phone when mine stopped working!

Overall, I would give them 4.7/5, 5 if they had a complimentary airport-hotel transfer.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the car park if you can.....The view is much better
ssih, Manager at Southern Sun Ikoyi, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Dedan,

It was a previledge to have you experience our warm and friendly hospitality as we are glad that we met your expectations.

However, we hope to improve on the grade you gave and as such we are commited to sustaining this quality of service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I recently stayed at the Ikoyi for a period of 2 weeks. I found everything to be of extremely high standard and quality.

Check in was quick and easy, although it took a few minutes since there were patrons before me and it was late.

The room was very comfortable, neat and clean.

All the staff were friendly, polite and accommodating from reception, to house cleaning, room service and gym trainers

The meals were good, and the buffet breakfast offered a good range to choose from.

ssih, Manager at Southern Sun Ikoyi, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Udersh,

Thank you for making Southern Sun Ikoyi Hotel your choiced hotel, we are previledged to have you.

We value your comments and patronage and are committed to sustaining and customizing our services to meet your requirement.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in your future visit.

Kano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have stayed at Southern Sun Ikoyi numerous times in the last few years, on business trips to Lagos. It has a super location on the Island (Ikoyi), staff quite professional and always courteous. It has struck me that the hotel has consistently given me a very good standard of service. The rooms are well appointed and clean. Bathrooms modern and functional. (Many times the rooms I have stayed in have had no baths in the bathroom, but with roomy power shower cubicles). View from rooms not so great, as hotel is smack in the middle of a busy/bustling area. Rooms are quiet though, as hotel is well set back from the roads, no noise from outside.

Their check-in processes are quite swift and at the check-in counter you always get someone standing by you offering a tray with a nice glass of fruit punch. Almost every time that I have checked in I have found a small bottle of red wine, and sometimes chocolates waiting for me in the room. On my last stay (15-17th): wine, chocolates and a lovely gift pack of toiletries from the manager.

Breakfast is a wide array to suit the most discerning tastes. The gym is a reasonable size and once or twice when it was not busy, the gym manager has given me useful tips for aerobic and stretching exercises, and demonstrated some of them; nice of him. The hotel offers free wifi internet access for guests.

The pool is rather small, but I don't mind as it is hardly ever busy (probably because most guests are on busy business trips to Lagos). The pool is on the ground floor right next to the restaurant (which has glass, curtained walls on that side) so the pool feels only semi-private. The pool can also be accessed from the gym upstairs via a side stairway.

Good security, a security man is stationed on each floor. Hotel has plenty of parking space. All in all, the Southern Sun Ikoyi is a very good hotel bordering on excellent. It definitely has excellent customer service.

It is a prime choice hotel on the island. (I notice new hotels springing up particularly around the Lekki area... so Southern Sun may be facing stiff competition soon).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
ssih, Manager at Southern Sun Ikoyi, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Ibarisma,

Having you here was a previledge and more so knowing that we were able to meet your expectations.

We are committed to quality service and not only that, we customize our services to meet the needs of our esteemed guest such as you.

We value your comments and patronage and we are committed to sustaining and indeed, improving on this experince.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back here.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had a business meeting in the hotel on 28 Sep 12 at the breakfast room and forgot a very valuable folder on the chair. I was worried thinking I had lost it. The next day I went to the hotel to check if it was found by anyone.....staff or guest. All the staff I asked were helpful especially the duty manager Mr Samuel who got the folder and handed it back to me after verification. I couldn't believe it. This is an indication of the quality of staff and services in the Southern Sun Hotel.

I commend the management and staff of the hotel. Keep your friendly, helpful and honest attitude up. You have become my hotel of choice.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ssih, Manager at Southern Sun Ikoyi, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Chijioke,

We want to appreciate your choice of making our hotel your prefered destination. We are commited to maintaining this quality that you have experienced and are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

We are glad you were able to retrieve your valued document.

We wish you well in your endeavours.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was truly a lovely experience. Friendly staff, good food, excellent rooms, modern gym!!! Enjoyed every minute of my stay. Location is vey convenient and service is outstanding. I have stayed in many hotels in Lagos and there is no comparison to the Southern Sun. Will never stay in another hotel and looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ssih, Manager at Southern Sun Ikoyi, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Karin,

Thank you for you comments on your recent stay with us, it was a previledge having you here. We are glad that your expectations were met in every area of hospitality and service delivery.

We are committed to maintaining this standard and strive to exceed your expectations. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have been to quite a few hotels around the world, but the Southern Sun Ikoyi clearly stands out in hospitality. For one, the food is simply brillant, Chef Alex Mwaura and his team can do no wrong. The staff are always courteous and friendly, rooms are always clean and the hotel is generally well-maintained. Response time from house-keeping is also very prompt. No wonder David Cameron stayed at the Southern Sun Ikoyi. Please keep up the good work.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ssih, Manager at Southern Sun Ikoyi, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Nosa,

Thank you so much for choosing Southern Sun Ikoyi Hotel as your choiced hotel in your recent visit to Lagos Nigeria and we are so previledged to have you. More so, we are glad that your enjoyed every bit of your stay and of course, the comments you made on our food.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and we are commited to sustaining this quality for your pleasure.

We wish you well in your endeavours.

Udeme

Been to Southern Sun Ikoyi? Share your experiences!