TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Lagos
Johannesburg
“Consistent Quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you are staying on Victoria Island there are a number of options in hotels and B & B's. New ones coming in to the market every few months to match boomtown Lagos. No matter the stars, performance varies in line with staff and management. Sun International seems to manage a level of consistency that I have personally experienced over quite a few years. Well worth a look.

Room Tip: Face the water (harbour) or town. If water, the generators light up for free!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
david_kliegl, General Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear David, thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Federal Palace Hotel. We are indeed faced with the challenges of new hospitality establishments opening in our immediate surrounds with great frequency, and it is sometimes difficult to compete with new fresh product. However, we believe that we have longevity in the market place from our extensive maintenance, on going staff training and reinvestment programs which deliver a consistent product offering in a very tough operating environment. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Federal Palace in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Excellent service, friendly staff and good food. Pool bar is luxurious with great view of the busy harbour. Comfortable rooms with huge beds. Another feature was the super fast wifi.

The only place to stay in Lagos!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
david_kliegl, General Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Mazzalane, thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Federal Palace Hotel & Casino. The importance of a business hotel is indeed fast WiFI, which we offer complimentary, an excellent night’s sleep on a quality bed and a great place to relax at the end of a hard day in Lagos. We are glad that you enjoyed all these attributes in our hotel. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Federal Palace soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Wow, what great service, truly a home away from home, the chefs top notch cooking with them going the extra mile to make you feel comfortable, pleasantly satisfied and ensure that you are satisfied with your meal is remarkable. The stay at the hotel is unforgettable, the gorgeous view, great food, excellent service can you ask for more.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
david_kliegl, General Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Christin D, thank you for your accolade as the Best Hotel in Lagos and your kind words about the food and service on offer at the Federal Palace Hotel. Undoubtedly the Federal Palace enjoys the very best location on Victoria Island and is one of the very few hotels with large landscaped gardens and grounds, let alone the magnificent view! We look forward to having you visit as again shortly. PS, our team of chefs will create any meal for you, ingredients permitting, should you ever tire of the menu selections.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have stayed at Federal Palace several times over the last two years but I felt my most recent trip deserved a review. The security and setting of this hotel is unmatched in Lagos. The terrace overlooking the water is a relaxing place to unwind after long days spent in the frenzy of Lagos traffic. Whilst most decent hotels in Lagos are expensive, I don't mind paying for service and quality - both are evident at the hotel. Staff have consistently gone the extra mile to help with the small things like replacing a lost hairbrush or remembering my favorite newspaper.

As a female who often stays alone I have always felt safe, indeed the Management go out of their way to ensure their Guests feel at home, always on hand with advice and guidance.

In short the hotel is of an international standard (given the challenges of unreliable power and water supply this is an achievement!). All staff are genuinely happy to help and the Management attentive and always there.

One small point - the place gets very busy on a Friday night so make sure you get a terrace table early. Sundowners overlooking the harbor is a winner!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great hotel with lots of space and facilities, although it would be good if they had a spa; Its very family friendly as there is also a great water park and pool for both adults and kids, not to mention the gym. The selection of food and beverages is good and well-presented, and as for the staff, they are very polite & friendly, nothing is too much. After a hard day in the city, coming back to the hotel in the day/evening is calming and relaxing, one would never know you were in the heart of the city. It’s clean and very safe, I would recommend meeting the food and beverage manager Mr George Dairy, he can’t do enough for you, a top man, and he runs a tight ship to very high standards. His staff is second to none, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Nigeria Victoria Island; I will certainly be coming back.

Room Tip: If you can I would select a sea facing room, just for the view.....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
david_kliegl, General Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Rob A, thank you for your review. Your kind and positive words are rich reward for us. We are very proud of the hotel and of all our staff. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Federal Palace Hotel & Casino….your home away from home!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

And to sit with my laptop on the terrace watching a constant parade of ships into Lagos port. And eat Chef Morne Carelse's cuisine and sous-chef Shawn's malva pudding and the overnight bakers' whole-grain bread at the sumptuous breakfast spread. And jog around the gardens and circle the fitness path for fresh-air exercise (though the small gym is a light and airy alternative during rainstorms). There's also miniature golf and tennis and one of the largest and most beautiful set of swimming pools I've ever seen in a hotel or resort - but, hey, I was working from dawn till late every day, so alas, they weren't for me.

I spent three weeks at a friend's apartment in Abuja, and for this side trip to Lagos, I needed fast, reliable connectivity - my work with allAfrica.com requires it - and I wanted security and cleanliness. Everything else was a bonus, and some hotels were more highly ranked by reviewers. But my husband, who has stayed at Federal Palace a number of times, persuaded me to try it. Thank goodness.

I was unable to figure out what a Federal Palace guest could do to get poor service. A small problem with the reservation was promptly and generously resolved by rooms manager Anthony Ajayi - who has clearly been empowered to make decisions. My request not to use fragrance spray in my room was communicated to personnel and observed by every housekeeping staff - a rarity in my hotel stays. Walk across the lobby with just a hint of hesitation and someone will gently ask if they can help you. Every staff member I encountered was unfailingly kind and competent. In every large establishment, there will be occasional mistakes and unusual circumstances - but I can't imagine what would prompt a negative review of this lovely place. That's what led me to write this - my first review for TripAdvisor.

Is the Federal Palace too costly? For my budget, yes - in common with every big city hotel anywhere. Is it good value? Unquestionably. The serenity; the gorgeous setting; the elegant simplicity of the lobby and rooms; the comfortable beds (for the few hours I could spare); the fresh, healthy food options; the arrangement for a driver - a wonderful, reliable man - all contributed to a productivity I needed and an ambiance I welcomed. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water have beautiful views, and although I was on a lower floor, I hardly heard any...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tami H, thank you for your review of the Federal Palace Hotel & Casino. We are very proud of the high esteem you have graced us with, and are delighted that you were prompted to write your first review by the service and attributes of the Federal Palace Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Safe option in Lagos for business travel. The rooms are spacious, waterfront views, great garden and pool, very helpful and expedient staff. Got a very late checkout which was great. More or less unlimited water in the room makes for additional comfort. To improve: gym area and food. The Nigerian dishes are good; others taste a bit off, I suspect an ingredients issue. Dining room can use some warmth, especially the breakfast buffet tables in the middle of the room don't help. I was missing a mini bar in the room and some other 5 star comforts. Probably needs to stretch a little further to deserve full 5 stars, but for a week's business travel, this hotel is an excellent option in Lagos.

Room Tip: Waterside rooms for great harbour view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Micha_Roch, thank you for review. Whenever possible, we gladly extend the courtesy of a complimentary late departure to our guests. Your comments regarding the ambience of the Restaurant are valid. We are currently in the process of creating more of a fine dining experience by separating the a la carte and buffet area into two separate restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Federal Palace Hotel.

Been to The Federal Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!