TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Review of Welcome Centre Hotels

Save Saved
You added Welcome Centre Hotels to your Saves list
Welcome Centre Hotels
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   70 International Airport Road | Ikeja, Lagos PMB 4147, Nigeria   |
Ranked #8 of 73 hotels in Lagos
Warri, Nigeria
“Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Location,
The main reason I consider this hotel is the closeness to the domestic or international airports. It is fantastic transferring to any of the airports from the Hotel especially when you do not have time on your side but be prepared for the meandering route to the Hotel from the airports especially at night and high traffic.

Rooms
Until I used the deluxe room after several stays in this hotel, I had concluded that the rooms were musty and too stuffed with furniture that make movement around the room very clumsy.
Having a better quality of stay in this hotel starts with the deluxe room type found to be more spacious and fresh. My review is based on the deluxe room.

Sleep Quality
Beds are comfortable but the noise from activities in the corridors definitely interrupts sleep. The hotel could consider an overlay to the floor finish of the corridors to absolve the noise from movement of trolleys and people during check in/out.

Restaurant
Although the buffet is not very elaborate, the standard is good as they are able to cater for both national and international requirements. The restaurant offers better service than most around the area.

Bathrooms
I love the relaxing high sprout shower irrespective of the room type and floor you are in. The bathrooms have been well maintained over the years. Please keep it up.

Front Staff
They are somewhat helpful.

Please pay attention to the not so dependable internet service which is supposed to be complimentary.

Room Tip: *Try the deluxe room type if you can, for more comfort *Be prepared for the meandering route to th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in close proximity to the airport and has an inviting lobby and access to public computers. Breakfast buffet, if one can call it breakfast, considering it usually has more lunch items on it then breakfast type food and is quite spartan in selection, was included in the room price, but as Nigeria goes, not bad. I would agree with another reviewer that the the room has a strange odor. It seems to eminate from the air conditioning system and is most likely an old or dirty filter. Not so bad that I must leave the room (206), but an annoyance and yes, good luck getting a to e to change it or look into it. They had no record of my reservation even after I produced an email confirmation, so if you have one, take it with you. One of their advertised bars never seemed to be open, and if you like pizza, don't order the one from the hotel restaurant, I did and it was now a mistake, keep to the hamburgers. Hotel staff assistance is hit of miss, it just depends on who you are talking to. In the grand scheme of things, I can think of worse places to stay in the Lagos are and a few better ones, but of course you'll pay for that privilege. This place strikes a bancd between a decently clean room, ok rate and the ability to get a bite to eat if your hungry.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Right next to the airport but you wouldn't realise this when you get there, this is a really well-run, modern and pretty luxurious hotel. The thing that impressed me most was that the hotel does not over charge so it is very reasonable too. I enjoyed many good swims in the large pool and there is a relaxing garden too. The room I was in was extremely clean and quiet and I ate in the restaurant and bar and both were good. They do a very good 'Champmans' if you want a refreshing drink. Cool place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Severn, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I were in Lagos for 10 days. We did not stay at this hotel but we definitely regretted that we did. During the middle of our stay, my husband and I wanted to check this hotel out to see if we could stay here the next time since the hotel where we were staying was prepaid. The hotel was really nice and when we asked them if we could see some rooms, they were very happy to show us their hotel rooms. The staff member even when beyond and showed us more of the hotel then we asked for. Now that is service. When we got in to the rooms we shocked at how nice and large the rooms were (even the standard room). They also had suites available that were nice as well. For the people who are exercise buffs, they have a nice exercise room and a 9 feet deep pool to use. They also have a nice garden to walk through and a little concert area. It was a great tour and after the manager gave us a small parting gift of a nice calendar. Their customer service is excellent! They also have free wifi and a buffet breakfast included in the price. Please check this out!

Room Tip: Pick a room that is not near the main street that goes to the airport.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Not sure they appreciate what they have here. Really good structure, good facilities, lovely morning breakfast, good for company meetings and getaways.

Poor location for moving about, but close enough to the airport if you are not interested in seeing lagos

Room Tip: Take the delue and biz suites, really nice. Also be sure the wifi gets to your room otherwise you ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I would like to advise readers that I have had a visit from the the hotel customer relations officer personally in my room to view issues and discuss the down falls of the hotel room. A very nice lady who was extremely apologetic and understanding and who I am sure will work on making a difference to this hotel in the near future.
I have made her aware that I will share my experience on the trip advisor in order to SHARE my personal view

When the driver tried to get to the hotel he had to hit the back road as access was impossible on the normal main road. I will not go into detail regarding the area as this is not the most important issue concerning the hotel.

Reception and check in was fast and efficient - no other guests were around so it was an easy exercise. I was slightly delayed in leaving the desk for personal reasons and had to witness how one of the lady receptionists engaged in a back and forth heated argument with another staff member behind a glass cabin, which I found extremely unprofessional.
I was checked into room 306 - When I entered, I looked at the room with very mixed feelings. The door frame showed traces of being broken into. As a result of broken frame the security chain was missing.

A very modern flat screen TV and efficient aircon, gave an updated feel to the room. The sheets were crisp white and clean and the bed a pleasure to sleep in, however the bed frame together with the rest of the interior very outdated, which gave the room a "grubby" feeling. The pictures on the wall in the room looked filthy - but it became apparent that the grime was a result of the moisture INSIDE the picture. The lampshade showed traces of moulde and the tiled floors were full of grime.

The bathroom is sporting the cleanest crisp white towels and new shower curtains. However,tiles are full of grime and the grout is moulding. There is a water bucket standing in the corner upside down with a small plastic bowl on top of it- not too sure what is the purpose of that decor. No bath plug present and impossible to communicate a request to receive one to have a bath.

Telephone communication is a massive challenge. Telephone lines in rooms are only for hotel -room to room - or internal calls to be made. Receiving calls from an outside lines or international calls can prove a massive challenge as the switchboard wasnt able to transfer any calls, which means you have to stand at reception to make your calls to the outside world.

The internet is free of charge but a struggle most of the times with regards to efficiency and speed of the net.

I got "hi-jacked in the elevator" to the "4th floor" when I pressed Floor 3 (there is NO 4th floor available and was confused when it indicated that I was on floor 4). However the doors didnt open. It took me quite some time, pressing on the alarm, before suddenly the elevator kicked into motion, stopping on the 1st floor. On my exit NON OF THE STAFF were actually even aware that I was stuck and when adressing it to one of the girls she had a "not bothered" attitude saying that it was normal to get stuck and it happens all the time. I learned later during the day that one of the regular guests confirmed that it was a regular issue to get stuck in lifts.
Please take not that there was NO power failure during this period referred to.
Load shedding is extremely frequent - far more so than other hotels I have stayed in in Nigeria.

When I requested to get an iron and iron board I received it is such filthy state that when I put the iron to my white shirt it left a pitch black mark on my shirt instantly.

The hotel insists on check out time to be adhered to and do not accommodate a "late check out" system.

This hotel has a potential for improvement as the management seemed to care and all staff are extremely friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ennis, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

This hotel offers good value (by Lagos standards) , security , working facilities and a location close to the airport. It fails to match up to its website claim "5 star" and the quality of its food is not on a par with the rest of the hotel.Its a compromise that I would choose to make again especially if I had an early morning or late evening departure from the airport.

Basics: rooms are clean, serviced properly every day and well equipped - safes, hair dryers, tv, kettle tea/coffee, telephone . WiFi internet works well . If you prefer not to bring a laptop there are four computers in the business centre but be careful to cover any confidential info and passwords after you log out.

There is a small bar area suitable for meetings during the day and conference rooms are available. The main conference centre itself leaves a lot to be desired - I presented a paper at a conference and found my voice bouncing back at me from the tiled walls.

The food is not in line with the rest of the hotel. The breakfast buffet is not too bad but the dinner buffet at Naira 4000 is overpriced and usually not warm enough certainly over the five days that I stayed there. If you are going to serve a hot buffet then you must know how to keep it hot. I had a look into the kitchen and it looked clean

Staff are pleasant. Do not be alarmed if they cannot find your reservation on arrival that is standard practice . They may suggest that they only have a higher grade/more expensive room available but stick to your guns no need to get excited and it will be resolved. Bring a reservation copy and send them an email before you arrive and keep a copy of the exchange with you.

They organise an airport pick up service - use it. Lagos airport arrivals are a swamp and said to be dangerous . It costs Naira3500 as compared to Naira2000 by taxi but its worth it to be met inside the terminal and pass through the scrimmage outside with the driver. It also gets around the problem of the missing reservation.
You are warned to be careful in Lagos but my experience there both of the hotel and the airport has been much the same as any other major African city. Keep your wits about you, smile, observe the usual precautions as you would anywhere and it can be interesting and enjoyable.

Room Tip: It is quieter to the rear of the building
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Welcome Centre Hotels? Share your experiences!