TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

African Garden Lodge
418 Omofade Crescent Omole Phase 1, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Ranked #29 of 114 Hotels in Lagos
London, United Kingdom
“Good people, competitive pricing for the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Finding a hotel (or hostel, had there been one) in Lagos that I could afford was challenging but I'm so glad I booked here. Airport pickup was reasonably priced (although if you've not been to Lagos before, be warned that it can be hard to find people!) and, like most things in Lagos, rates were negotiable. My bed had clearly suffered from some damp but the room was clean and everything worked. The hotel bar and restaurant was beautiful and everyone working there was friendly and chatty (which was welcome to a solo female traveller!). Ikeja is also the area of Lagos where Fela Kuti's The Shrine was located (and where Femi Kuti's New Afrika Shrine still is), which was unplanned - well worth going to hang out and have a drink! So glad I didn't stay in the much more expensive, much further away hotels on VI (but if you are planning to go out that way - be warned it'll be a long drive in Lagos traffic)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

i have been there for almost two weeks and i have been treated not as a costumer but like a family member.The stuff was friendly and helpful at any time of the day or night. when i left it was as i leaving home and i look forward to come back again.If you expect luxus then are u wrong here but if u want to feel like home and well treated then is this the right place to be...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Calabar, Nigeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Visited my favourite Lagos lodging after about 13 months and had to write a review. On arrival, I still got the sense of being in a secure home, the staff were welcoming and very efficient. One of the best features of the lodge is the feeling of being a welcome guest in a home. Paid N11,000 (I think) for my Queen room and my luggage were carried in.

The room is in desperate need of maintenance, the ceiling was stained and falling off and the whole room, although clean, was very tired and begging for refurbishment. The shower room is small and the wardrobe is in the shower room which isn't clever. The water pressure is not strong but there is hot water on demand.

Ordered my dinner and as usual it was delicious and brought to me quickly. I had a pleasant night sleep and woke feeling refreshed. If service, good food, security and a clean environment are your main priorities then African Garden Lodge gets top marks. However if you demand all the above + a nice looking room (as I do), the Lodge falls short of getting my vote.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are larger.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed several days and in several rooms at African Garden Lodge in July and August 2012. The theme of African art is expressed every where in the hotel, from the walkways, to the lobby and the rooms. If you are a lover of art you will find this place interesting. My favorite thing about it is the location and atmosphere - you wouldn't know it is a hotel, except in the evenings when the bars are active. It also has good security and courteous staff. I asked for the manager to see me and he came happily! In a country with dysfunctional public power supply this hotel runs its power generators most of the time, yet the pricing is affordable - starts from about 60 USD for standard room (air-conditioner, fan, hot water, cable, but no refrigerator, bigger rooms have more features and amenities. Most hotels in this category run generators in the night only.There is also internet cafe at the lobby. Please note this is a small hotel with about 15 rooms or less hence book in advance to reserve your place. I hope you enjoy the peace and tranquility this place offers.

Room Tip: the smallest and cheapest room is not always available and is austere.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

First of all, big thanks to all the STAFF of this beautiful, quite and peaceful hotel. Names like Emma, Emeka, Igwe, Endurance, Uche, Sylvester and countless names. Me, and my family (Wife and 3 little ones, ages 6, 4,and 2) stayed at this hotel for 3 full weeks. With such a hassle life of Lagos, at the end of the day, we always come home (the hotel) to peace and tranquillity. I've been to many hotels, but never seen helpful staff like AGL. They are always there to lend a hand in one way or the other. From directing us to where ever we need to go, to helping us getting things we may need. They made our stay pleasant for the whole 3 weeks. Its amazing how you find such a gem in a very highly secure area of Lagos, which was our primary concern because of our children, but as soon as we got to the hotel all our worries disappear. The Kids love the environment, especially the Tortoise pit. They all had a ball.
The only little down about the hotel is their price of food. But all and all, we had great time and I will recommend AGL to friends and family. THANKS AGAIN and we shall return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 7 nights whilst doing some sight seeing, visiting family and a little business. It's location is more central than the major hotels on Victoria Island which enabled us to to get to most parts of Lagos within an hour or so.
Situated in a safe, walled houing estate,it's a small hotel with 3 bars. The 2 outside bars are open to the public - mainly residents of the estate and have the usuall TV screens, music etc. The smaller garden bar at the back of the hotel seems to be for residents and is much quieter so plenty of choice.
The hotel arranged for us to be picked up at the airport which went very smoothly. We also asked them to recommend a driver to chauffer us about for the week and they introduced us to a great guy who we ended up using most of the time we where there.
We stayed in King room 3 which, whilst a little tired looking, was perfectly adequate for our needs. There was plenty of hot water and a big comfortable bed - the main things really. We could hear the generator when it was on (about half of the time) although it didnt bother us. I gather the garden rooms are a bit further away and subsequently quieter if your a light sleeper.
The food was OK although the service was quite slow. We did find quite a few of the items on the menu were not available at times but this was probably more of an issue to us because we stayed for a week at ate at the hotel most nights. The best food I had was the grilled chicken straight from the barbecue in the oustside bar - delicious, oh and the catfish was pretty tasty too !
On the whole the staff are very friendly and very willing to help, without making you feel that they're just after a tip.
I notice other comments on here about Mama's rules. I am a businessman and my company needs to make a profit so I kinda understand where she is coming from. I am sure she has experienced guests that have booked a room and then spent nothing else, bringing takeaway food and drinks in from the outside which isn't fair. We used the hotels facilities regularly and no one had any issue when we came back from our trips with a drink or leftover snack nor did anyone seem to mind the bottled water we used for teeth brushing etc.
All in all, this is a great little hotel. Much cheaper than the sterile hotel chains on Victoria Island and in a much more central location. OK, it's not perfect, but we were always happy to get back to our nicely tidied room at the end of each day.
would I recommend it? Well We will be staying there again next year so read in to that what you will

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

As seen on the website www.africangardenlodge.com this place is the real deal, for that superb African experience AGL is the place to stay. I have stayed in many hotels in Lagos none have the unique style or authenticity of the African Garden Lodge. A must try!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to African Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!