TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Ranked #15 of 71 hotels in Lagos
Lagos, Nigeria
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed several days and in several rooms at African Garden Lodge in July and August 2012. The theme of African art is expressed every where in the hotel, from the walkways, to the lobby and the rooms. If you are a lover of art you will find this place interesting. My favorite thing about it is the location and atmosphere - you wouldn't know it is a hotel, except in the evenings when the bars are active. It also has good security and courteous staff. I asked for the manager to see me and he came happily! In a country with dysfunctional public power supply this hotel runs its power generators most of the time, yet the pricing is affordable - starts from about 60 USD for standard room (air-conditioner, fan, hot water, cable, but no refrigerator, bigger rooms have more features and amenities. Most hotels in this category run generators in the night only.There is also internet cafe at the lobby. Please note this is a small hotel with about 15 rooms or less hence book in advance to reserve your place. I hope you enjoy the peace and tranquility this place offers.

Room Tip: the smallest and cheapest room is not always available and is austere.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

First of all, big thanks to all the STAFF of this beautiful, quite and peaceful hotel. Names like Emma, Emeka, Igwe, Endurance, Uche, Sylvester and countless names. Me, and my family (Wife and 3 little ones, ages 6, 4,and 2) stayed at this hotel for 3 full weeks. With such a hassle life of Lagos, at the end of the day, we always come home (the hotel) to peace and tranquillity. I've been to many hotels, but never seen helpful staff like AGL. They are always there to lend a hand in one way or the other. From directing us to where ever we need to go, to helping us getting things we may need. They made our stay pleasant for the whole 3 weeks. Its amazing how you find such a gem in a very highly secure area of Lagos, which was our primary concern because of our children, but as soon as we got to the hotel all our worries disappear. The Kids love the environment, especially the Tortoise pit. They all had a ball.
The only little down about the hotel is their price of food. But all and all, we had great time and I will recommend AGL to friends and family. THANKS AGAIN and we shall return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 7 nights whilst doing some sight seeing, visiting family and a little business. It's location is more central than the major hotels on Victoria Island which enabled us to to get to most parts of Lagos within an hour or so.
Situated in a safe, walled houing estate,it's a small hotel with 3 bars. The 2 outside bars are open to the public - mainly residents of the estate and have the usuall TV screens, music etc. The smaller garden bar at the back of the hotel seems to be for residents and is much quieter so plenty of choice.
The hotel arranged for us to be picked up at the airport which went very smoothly. We also asked them to recommend a driver to chauffer us about for the week and they introduced us to a great guy who we ended up using most of the time we where there.
We stayed in King room 3 which, whilst a little tired looking, was perfectly adequate for our needs. There was plenty of hot water and a big comfortable bed - the main things really. We could hear the generator when it was on (about half of the time) although it didnt bother us. I gather the garden rooms are a bit further away and subsequently quieter if your a light sleeper.
The food was OK although the service was quite slow. We did find quite a few of the items on the menu were not available at times but this was probably more of an issue to us because we stayed for a week at ate at the hotel most nights. The best food I had was the grilled chicken straight from the barbecue in the oustside bar - delicious, oh and the catfish was pretty tasty too !
On the whole the staff are very friendly and very willing to help, without making you feel that they're just after a tip.
I notice other comments on here about Mama's rules. I am a businessman and my company needs to make a profit so I kinda understand where she is coming from. I am sure she has experienced guests that have booked a room and then spent nothing else, bringing takeaway food and drinks in from the outside which isn't fair. We used the hotels facilities regularly and no one had any issue when we came back from our trips with a drink or leftover snack nor did anyone seem to mind the bottled water we used for teeth brushing etc.
All in all, this is a great little hotel. Much cheaper than the sterile hotel chains on Victoria Island and in a much more central location. OK, it's not perfect, but we were always happy to get back to our nicely tidied room at the end of each day.
would I recommend it? Well We will be staying there again next year so read in to that what you will

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

As seen on the website www.africangardenlodge.com this place is the real deal, for that superb African experience AGL is the place to stay. I have stayed in many hotels in Lagos none have the unique style or authenticity of the African Garden Lodge. A must try!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I used this hotel as a base while doing some business in Nigeria. Most of the hotels I stayed in during this trip were lamentably bad but this one was different. The staff are very friendly, the food quite good and the rooms spacious and pretty clean. The hotel is small and unobtrusive and feels very safe. It is pretty near the airport and the staff will organise pickups for you if required.I found the rooms rather dark to work in but moved to the Suite which has a separate light room which is fine for working or meeting people.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My mother and I spent 10 nights at the African Garden Lodge towards the end of July. We were in the African Garden Queen room, opposite the bar. The room was modest in size, clean and well furnished. The bathroom was a little on the small side and lacked storage space for toiletries, but the large-headed shower worked a treat. Hangers were scarce but these were soon provided. Overall the room was pleasant and cool (great air con) but could have done with a fresh lick of paint. Fresh towels and bedding are provided daily - if requested, otherwise the room is untouched.

The food was delicious, and with five venues in which to eat (our room, the dining room, two garden bars and the VIP lounge, meal times took on a sense of adventure. My favourite dishes were nkowobi, (cow’s foot in spicy sauce) and fresh catfish in pepper soup – utterly superior and totally memorable. Unfortunately, the food was not always piping hot and we sometimes had to wait ages for it to arrive, so it’s best to order well in advance.

I cannot praise the staff highly enough, especially the Guest Relations Manager, James Samuel (Sam) for whom nothing was too much trouble. The helpfulness and courtesy of his team, the catering and security staff was commendable.

I chose the AGL because of the good reviews: reasonably priced, quiet location, good food. I wasn’t disappointed. Original artwork and lush gardens (some of the plants had their own air conditioning!) contribute to the quirky flavour of this boutique hotel, which successfully manages to be a real hideaway from the hustle and bustle of Lagos life. I would definitely recommend it and hope to return in the near future.

Room Tip: The African Garden Queen is opposite the bar, so there can be some noise. Quiet by 11pm.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

If you need to stay in the Ikeja area of Lagos this a fantastic place to stay.

The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and decorated tastefully (my favourite room is the African Royal Suite), the food is good and best of all you don't feel like you are staying in an institution. African Garden Lodge is definitely not as fancy as the big business hotels in Lagos - be prepared for the occasional hiccup with running water supply - but it beats them hands down for value for money, atmosphere and service.

There is a lovely small garden bar where residents can also eat dinner. I've eaten in a lot of places in Lagos - and got ill from food even at the smartest hotels, but I stayed in this place for around two months, had just about everything on the menu and never got ill once. So clearly their kitchen has high standards too.

I recommend the Chairman's catfish its probably the best fish I've ever had.

Room Tip: African Royal Suite
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to African Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!