“La Omaja, Islta de Ometepe, Nicaragua” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Ometepe
La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant
You added La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant to your Saves list
Maderas Volcano, Meridia, Isla de Ometepe, Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
South Beach, Oregon, United States
“La Omaja, Islta de Ometepe, Nicaragua”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My vacation travel in Nicaragua was conducted August, 2010, so I am writing this review a bit after the fact. We booked reservations for La Omaja online and found it exactly as advertised, air conditioned rooms in private cabanas, beautiful grounds, and overall very comfortable. There is a patio bar/restaurant with a fantastic view overlooking the lake. I saw the most beautiful sunset ever from the lake at the bottom of La Omaja's driveway (see pict), absolutely stunning. As a nature enthusiast, from the hotel I took a walk and saw tons of fabulous moths and butterflies, went on an early morning canoe-birdwatching trip with a Spanish speaking guide, and hiked up to a waterfall. The canoe tour was in Spanish but the guide might have spoke English. Fireflies were active at night, always a lovely sight. When it was time to depart Isla de Ometepe, proprietors Jamie and his family drove us to the ferry-boat launch -- during our travels he offered to stop at a beautiful semi-developed pool (named "the eye" or something like that). Well worth the stop. I think my total bill at La Omaja was about $45 for a three day, two night stay, including food, drink (frankly, I drank a lot, it was a much needed vacation), transport to waterfall hike, transport to ferry launch. The hotel cost $55/night. My food/booze expenditure was extravagant, you can do this for much, much less. For Nicaraguan travelers my advice would be to get a cell-phone so you can call proprietors/taxis for rides when you want them, it is just easier that way. Other notes include: I always felt safe in Nicaragua and the people we met were very kind. The Country of Nicaragua seemed to have exceptionally good natural resource management practices. Only certain wood can be harvested and there are large regions of uncut forests. The Citizens we spoke to about conservation were knowledgeable and proud of their country's practices, with good reason. Also, the country was exceptionally clean, save one area I encountered around a bus-station in a large city (on the mainland). The juxtaposition of horse-drawn carts and semi-trucks on the highways was quite interesting. To proprietors of La Omaja, I still think fondly of my visit there and wish you all my best, I had a great stay and hope to return someday.

Room Tip: private cabanas, ones higher on the hill might have better views.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
LaOmaja, Owner at La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Love hearing you had a good time. For clarification I believe you probably meant $450 and not $45, otherwise I gave you a heck of a deal!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I was at La Omaja as part of a group once and with my wife a following second time.

Jami, his staff, his family, and the pets surround guests with an amazing experience. La Omaja is one of those few really great place that dot the planet with a perfect location and warm environment that says: "Get away from it all."

La Omaja's hillside location provides sunset views are absolutely spectacular!

I ranked "fitness center" as excellent because while there is no such thing, the hillside location and trails to the volcanic spring provide amazing opportunities for walking.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
If you ever feel like you have put on a few we would love to have you back at our fitness center.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife and I visited Ometepe after finding the place on line. On arrival we were delighted to find the cabinas were situated in a pretty garden with stunning views of the volcano. The grounds were
home to any number of birds, including White-throated Magpie-Jays, Kiskadees and Flycatchers. The lakeside was literally at the bottom of the garden and an interesting local shop a short stroll away. Our evenings spent in La Omaja's little restaurant were memorable - good food, cool beer and a vista that included more stars overhead than we had ever seen. La Omaja is an Ometepe gem!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
We certainly appreciate your coming and glad you enjoyed your stay.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We found La Omaja on the net and we made all our arrangements on line. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised to see that the accommodations were even nicer than in the photos.
The bungalow we had was very pleasant and we enjoyed the food in the restaurant too. The location is great and so is the atmosphere. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you. I am glad the surprise was a pleasant one.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I traveled to 3 different cities and stayed in 3 different hotels in Nicaragua and I have to say La Omaja was our favorite hotel of all three! Jamie the owner was very accommodating, helpful, and knowledgeable. The hotel prepared all our meals and even packed sandwiches for us when we had a volcano hike scheduled. Jamie arranged our hike with an English speaking guide with only a night's notice. He also arranged transportation from the ferry to the hotel and when we needed a trustworthy taxi driver for our next destination (ferry to San Juan Del Sur) Jamie was able to contact a taxi driver to pick us up to go to our next hotel. We thought it was very nice of him to help us find transportation from the ferry to our new hotel because he really didn't have to.

There's about 8 cabanas total and they are beautiful. We had a gorgeous view of trees, plants, flowers, the lake, and the volcano. It was clean, cozy, had warm water, and AC. I Definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much, my wife and I really enjoy having you both.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I met Jamie and La Omaja two years ago when I was sharing a hostel with 8 girls at the Biological Field Station. The food and the friendliness of La Omaja attracted me immediately. When I knew I was going back to Ometepe I contacted Jamie and asked him if he would be willing to allow me to stay at La Omaja. He immediately responded and even offered to pick us up from the Ferry. His accommodations are amazing and it is nothing like any other hostel you will visit. You get your own chalet complete with a beautifully decorated bathing area. The food is amazing, homemade to order and he is quick to share a story and a shot of rum with his guests. He is available to take you to the Wasserfall and will help you arrange all your endeavors while you're there. In addition to all that, La Omaja is located between two of the best forests on the island that offer amazing close encounters with the indigenous howler and Capuchin monkeys. Falling asleep to the sounds of the call of the howlers triples the experience of being in the rain forest but with the luxury of air conditioning. Please make sure to stay at La Omaja for you will not be disappointed.
Jennifer Kraengel

Room Tip: There is no choice each guest gets their own living quarters to themselves separate from all the oth...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We would love to have you again if you are ever back in Nicaragua, the monkeys are still here.
Buckingham, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Jamie and his family are the best. They catered to us like friends not just guest. Our daughter played with his sons, he helped us in our attempts at outreach, he drove us to tours that he helped to arrange. This place is topnotch. The accommodations although not lavish (but there was air conditioning quite a luxury in this part of the world) are adequate and comfortable. Remember this is Nicaragua if you are looking for the Ritz you are in the wrong country. Enjoy the great nature and the even better the kind gentle people.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Glad you enjoyed yourselves we enjoyed hosting. You make an important point, this is not the Ritz, if you are looking for the 4-5 star accommodations you will probably be disappointed.

Been to La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!