“Tough climb, no view, but no regrets.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Cruz, California, United States
54 attraction reviews
“Tough climb, no view, but no regrets.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This really is a tough climb. I am young, in good shape and have a fair amount of hiking experience. Still it was tough. The roughest part for me is I only wore sneakers as hiking boots were too heavy to lug around Central America. As a result the angular volcanic rocks really did a number on the soles of my feet. I limped a bit for a couple days after. I wish I remember my guide's name he was excellent and brought us all the way to the summit. There was no view and the wind was strong enough to makes standing up a very difficult proposition. Still it was a great experience and I felt a great deal of satisfaction. Be sure to bring a wind breaker or jacket of some kind if you want to go all the way up, and wear boots if you have them. I really regret wearing sneakers.

Visited March 2012

Denver, Colorado
“Strenuous and dangerous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I'll divide this review into two parts. The volcano hike and the guide. First, the hike is very hard and not to be attempted if you are not in decent condition. The first half isn't bad as it goes through forest but it is steep.
The lookout at around 1000 meters is extremely windy. Of the three other groups hiking the volcano that day all turned around at this point because of the wind. Gust up to 50-60mph. Enough to blow a person over.
Once you pass this point the wind died down considerably but the hike became much harder. It is above tree line the rest of the way. Someone mentioned it is a scree field but that is not accurate. There is a base of sand/dirt with a lot of loose rock but there are also anchored rocks. The pitch of the volcano would be to steep to climb up scree. You use your hands most of the way up the last 600 meters.
Save some energy for the way down! Again it is necessary to use your hands coming down. The dangerous thing is if you step on a rock that is not anchored you will slip a bit and worse send a rock down below. It so steep they just keep rolling. The guys in front had to constantly dodge rocks that were headed in their direction. I would have been very concerned if another group was above us but out of earshot since rocks could come down at any time.
Secondly our guide. Since I don't remember his name I will just say make sure you confirm a start time and have a firm set price. We had to drive around town in a tuk tuk looking for our guide at 5:00am since he overslept because he was hungover. He then tried to change the price on us three different times while on the hike. Lastly he wanted to charge us roughly $20 for a taxi back to town which should cost around $3. For reference we paid roughly $12 per person for the guide with four people
I know it's a lot of complaining above but just know what you are getting into. I am early 30s and the other guys in my group mid 20s and all said it was the most dangerous hike they had done. The views are incredible and if hiking to the top isn't for you the 1000 meter lookout is awesome in itself.

Visited November 2012
New York City
19 attraction reviews
“One for our memories or maybe for a return trip?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I came to Ometepe for this hike. We hired a guide recommended by our hotel. The hike was difficult! It was very steep virtually the entire way. It was especially windy and cloudy so I stopped at the 1000m. My husband continued for another 400m when our guide advised us that it'd be dangerous to continue. He noted that it was unusually windy on the day we hiked. In fact, while I was waiting for my husband at the 1000m, two other groups came and turned around due to the high winds. We left our hostel at 5am and returned around 2pm. IN addition to plenty of water and food, bring a jacket as it is chilly at the viewpoint.

Visited January 2013
Cesena, Italy
477 attraction reviews
1,895 helpful votes 1,895 helpful votes
“majestic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

today we climbed till the mirador of el floral... amazing hiking, a bit hard for the hot but when u get a wonderful view of the whole area, of the island and the volcano.
very windy.
it took us 3 hours to get to the top but it's really worthwhile.
bring water, disidrated fruit and some chocolate for the hike.
enjoy mother nature
ps
guide is necessary

Visited January 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Hard hike but definitely worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hike was NOT easy, I was foretold that it was going to be a long hard hike but didn't imagine it being as steep as it was. The hike up was okay, there was a lot of climbing but the trail was decent (steep and narrow but you just have to be careful). Going down is where it gets tricky, quite hard on the knees.

My bf and I hired a tour guide, Donald from Happy Tours, and he was really great at telling us about the different flora and fauna on the hike. I'd definitely recommend him to anyone who is looking for a guide. He makes daily visits to the Finca Santa Domingo hotel to arrange hikes to both mountains.

It was quite cloudy at the for us so there wasn't much of a view when we got to the crater but it cleared up as we were descending and the view is amazing. We left our hotel at 6 in the morning and got home around 6pm (the hike itself was about 11 hours in total)

Bring lots of water and energy fuelling snacks (my ham and cheese sandwich plus a few cookies didn't really cut it for us). Also wear good shoes and bring a sweater cause it's chilly at the top!

Visited November 2012