“Wish I stayed here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Mystica

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Ometepe
Finca Mystica
500 Meters north | Punta portero, Merida, Isla de Ometepe 000000, Nicaragua   |
Toronto, Canada
“Wish I stayed here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Me and my boyfriend came to Ometepe and stayed just up the road at La Omaja. We ended up coming to Finca Mystica a few times for their AMAZING smoothies and delicious and healthy lunches. We kicked ourselves in the butt for not staying here because it really had such a nice vibe and felt so relaxing to just lay in their hammocks and sip a smoothie. If you do go you have to get a passion fruit + pineapple smoothie, best one EVER.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My sister and I stayed here in December 2012. The place was magical!! The lodging is super cute and the owners are so nice! The food is unreal. Try the passionfruit smoothies and popcorn. The dinner courses there is always a vegetarian option. The excursions are great too. We hiked up Maderas volcano, which was unfortunately cloudy that day but still fun! cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

After a rustic Little Corn Island experience I wasn't expecting too much in ways of the lodging on Ometepe. My girlfriend had scoped out Finca Mystica before the trip and we made reservations for the group of four of us. When we had a hold up at the airport it was clear we wouldn't make it for our first night. We called them (they are a great young American couple) and they not only were understanding but also arranged for us to stay over New Years as our plans had to change. Truly kind and genuine owners!

Now, while the hostel itself is paradise, I must warn that the ride to get there is an experience in itself! Luckily we had rented a 4wd beast of a truck that could handle the 'road' on the south island which at times felt more like a horse path that hadn't been maintained in decades. Boulders strewn about everywhere, I averaged about 5 mph at best. Now, while this was the most intense drive I have ever done, it was one of the most memorable experiences of the trip. Basically, if you plan on driving the south island there, a regular car would get destroyed so get a car that can handle the terrain.

On that note, a cab to get to Finca Mystica is around $35 each way, plus if you want to go to other parts you will have to arrange some kind of transportation. Having a truck was worth its weight in gold for the freedom aspect.

Once you arrive, however, it is possible to stay only there and hike or bike to some great spots. The owners do everything they can for you by calling guides, moped rental, booking the ferry, etc. Everything, and they know the best people for the jobs. We did a horseback ride to San Ramon waterfall. It was a beautiful trip, but if you don't like horses just hike. It is easy to navigate yourself and the horses ended up being our biggest expense on the island. The waterfall was serene and didn't disappoint even though they were having a dry spell on the island.

Many people also did the full day hike to the top of the volcano. I wanted to but I had a foot injury so opted not to go at it alone, though you need a guide (about $30 for the day) and the guides are crucial. People said it was the most intense hike they have ever done, a lot of climbing and the guides keep the trail maintained from constant overgrowth. Chances are the top will be clouded over which affords no view from the top.

There is also a decent beach at the bottom of the hill, about a 5-10 minute hike from the rooms.

Now the hostel was truly a marvel. They have been building the place for the last six years and have almost finished the 5th bungalow. The website and Facebook have plenty of cool pics, but the rooms were heaven compared to the other hostels we stayed in. Great stone work floors, awesome natural material walls with the glass bottles built in serving as light entry. Windows were screened and the beds had mosquito nets, but mostly for the gecko poop. Bathrooms were nice and clean with a good shower, toilet, and a cool sink built into the wall. Beds and pillows were comfortable.

The food was the main attraction. They have some great local girls who work in the kitchen and I had some delicious chicken curry, a spicy burrito, amazing smoothies, and good breakfast options. They have ingredients you won't find anywhere else in the country (PB&J!) and a lot of the produce is grown on site. The main chill area has a bunch of hammocks, tables, games, books, and even musical instruments. I wrote a few songs on the guitar while I was relaxing, and the girls working there loved it. They thought I was "so good" which made me happy as a drummer.

Anyway, I am rambling. I can't imagine a better suited place to stay for somebody like me, thirties, adventurous and love good food!

Room Tip: There are 5 bungalows plus an extra room in the main area. They will get you in the right place and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Totally stunning!! The location was perfect! Spectacular views and great landscape... Ryan and Angie are amazing hosts! Whatever you want to do, they can arrange... kayaking; hiking; horse riding... You name it!!
The accommodation itself has a definite rustic vibe; the meals are delicious and nutritious... there are no strangers at Mystica... Just one big happy family - or privacy should you prefer!
I could happily have stayed for longer...
Thanks Ryan and Angie for "The Mystica Experience"... I would recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in this magical place last month, our biggest disappointment was that we couldn't stay longer. We have travelled quite a bit and this place is near the top of my list, for its beauty, uniqueness, tranquility and overall setup. It is simple, beautiful and a place like no other. The rough road getting there was worth the bumps with a lovely surprise at the end. Sunrise and sunsets are stunning and one of a kind, listening to the howler monkey's howling in the mountains is an experience in itself. The cob homes have so much character and very comfortable. There is plenty to do in the area and the restaurant and porch are a perfect spot to just relax, play cards and have the best batida's around. The food was outstanding and they could do not wrong in the kitchen. Ryan and Angela, you guys have created an amazing place! Thank you to you and your staff for your warm hospitality and sharing this special place of yours!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I can truly say that Finca Mystica is one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed. The atmosphere is totally relaxed and welcoming with Ryan and Angie the perfect hosts. The accommodation is wonderful, big comfy beds and rustic furniture, the bottles built into the walls providing a wonderful glow at sunrise.
The food was amazing, fresh, homegrown, organic and prepared with love....the homemade cookies were to die for!
You can do as much or as little as you like at FM, relax in the hammock on the porch or ask Ryan to arrange a hike, horseride or kayak...nothing is ever too much trouble.
Ryan and Angie really believe in what they do here and you can't help but admire what a fantastic haven they have created.
I just hope I get the chance to return again.....soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

FInca Mystica is one of those places that my wife and I will never forget. Between the amazing location, the incredibly well designed and built accommodations, and the amazing hosts Ryan and Angie, we will definitely be recommending this Finca Mystica to anyone traveling to Nicaragua. Make sure to try one of their Power Shakes when you're there...so good! All the food was delicious and much of it is grown on site. The best bread we had in Nica hands down. They only have 4 private cabanias (with a yoga studio/dorm room in the works) so make sure to book in advance as there isn't a lot of room to go around. This makes for an intimate setting...definitely not your normal backpacker vibe, although this may change a bit once the dorm style accommodation is ready for guests. The farm's founders and hosts, Ryan and Angie, are very welcoming and we loved that they are close to their Nica neighbours and are obviously trying to be positive additions to their community. We hope to visit again some day!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Finca Mystica? Share your experiences!