“Surreal but supercool!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Ouarzazate
Edinburgh
“Surreal but supercool!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As some of the other reviews have said, the hotel is not in the centre of town, so ignore what google maps may tell you. We had a hire-car, and had driven over the Tichka pass to get to Ouarzazate, and the entrance to the hotel was really obvious, so finding it is definitely not an issue if you have your own transport. Actually, driving up to it was extremely cool - the whole thing is like a big Egyptian temple in the desert. I loved it. We had a nice big room overlooking the pool. Plenty of space to relax. We also had a fridge in the room, which was most welcome to chill the beers which we had brought with us. No kettle though, which would have been nice, although the bar did me some takeaway coffees in the morning.
Definitely do the studio tour - it was very good fun to see the sets and props. The hotel is well-located for day trips. We went off the Ait-benhaddou, Skoura, Draa valley. It's also possible to walk into town from the hotel, but the round trip is a good few miles, so take some water with you.
Free on-site parking was most welcome, and we got free wi-fi in our room. The window-shutters were great at keeping out light and noise, which made for a good sleep.
The bar and lobby are full of props and posters from the various films that have been made here. This is maybe not to everyone's taste, but I loved it!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
sealfriend2010
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

Yes, the Google map showed it in the town, which I learned to my dismay when I ended walking to Oazarzate at noon! :(

The hotel is very nicely decorated and I loved the room that I got above the pool.
The Atlas Studios are right beside the hotel. The Studios should be properly mantained, as some of them are literally falling apart, which is a real pity.
Yes, it would be nice if the entrance would be for free for the hotel guests :)

The breakfast was simple but nice. If you have no car you have to ask the desk person to call you a taxi, but the taxis charge you more to pick you up or to drive you from there, if they ever come .It is not exactly easy to get a taxi on the boulevard, as the few ones are full already. The walk on the boulevard at sunset time is nice. Not recommended at noon when is VERY hot.

I had a nice time there. It was interesting been there as a woman solo traveller. It was too hot after visiting the Kashbas nearby, and I wanted so badly just to go inside the pool to cool down, but the pool was full with only Moroccan men and the only couple of local women there were outside sitting on the chairs, so I didn't feel that it would be appropiated for me to go there alone, so I asked a male foreigner staying there if he would not mind to go to the pool with me. Nobody seemed to mind when this other tourist went to the other side of the pool with me.

During the day it was noisy by all the local people at the swimming pool.
During the night it was very calm, and during the sunset I remember all the birds noise before going to sleep on the trees nearby. It was very nice. I slept like a baby there :)

Very clean and cozy. The reception people were not very friendly.

Recommended for adults.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed at the Oscar during my shoot at Atlas Studios. The staff was friendly, the rooms are very nice, and the entire experience was wonderful. I highly suggest both Atlas Studios and the Oscar Hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Ignore GoogleMaps, Oscar Hotel is not between Ave. Moulay Rachid and Blvd. Mohammid V, but some 3km NW of Ouarzazate, Route de Marrakech, RN9 between Ouarzazate and pretty much... nothing until the Atlas Mountains! I will report the problem to Google!

The hotel is within the studio walls and coulda been a film set itself! with filmic ornaments scattered tastefully around the pool. Every so often a small band of travellers would rock up to the hotel, drink at the bar, dip their weary legs in the pool and then take a guided tour around the Atlas Film Studios. I thought the tours were free for guests, but apparently not ;-(, that would have earned it an extra star!!

The room was spacious, comfortable and the air-con not too noisy (unlike many hotels in Maroc!)

With no local eateries within walking distance, we chose to eat dinner at the hotel. It was home-made, good, tasty with all fresh ingredients and they were able to make things to order (to suit our veggie palettes!). Breakfast was supposed to be at 06:30 but we had to get the receptionist to wake the restaurateur up for our eventual breakfast at 07:30! We could done with that extra hour as we were travelling over the Tizi-n’Tichka pass that morning, heading back to Marrakech. Instead we repacked our luggage to overcome our rumbling tums!
Would recommend the hotel as an interesting and unusual break from the usual run of hotels found in these parts, and far more worthy than the chains!

I’d have preferred it if we were where Google had said, but you couldn’t really have a full-blown film studios slap bang in the middle of Ouarzazate.
SoniaNigel, England. Stay: Oct2013

Room Tip: Upstairs overlooking the pool is good, small balcony gets direct sun in the morning, Mind the step j...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oscar H, Directeur général at Oscar Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Hello,

I would like to thank you for choosing OSCAR Hotel for your last stay in Ouarzazate and for leaving your notes on Tripadvisor.
OSCAR Hotel is in fact 3 km far from the city center but the road is called Blvd Mohamed V since it is in the city limits.
OSCAR Hotel is fully decorated with accessories and pictures from the movies shot in the studios next door. It is truthfully a unique concept in Morocco.
The entrance fee is reduced for the hotel guests comparing to external visitors.
We have already taken all the necessary actions regarding serving breakfast on the announced time.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again very soon at OSCAR Hotel.

All the best
The General Manager
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

AVOID THIS HOTEL

Booked and paid for through a travel agent.
We stayed for two nights - I wish we had packed up and paid to go elsewhere for the second night.

The only member of staff who spoke to us in a pleasant way was the room maid. Reception staff, brusque and unhelpfull. Coffee undrinkably bad, breakfast stale. Rooms very tired.
We were the only guests - I wonder why ?

I've visited Morocco many times over the last 30 years and stayed in dozens of hotels - this place was the worst of the lot - avoid

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Oscar H, Directeur général at Oscar Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hello,

I would like to thank for taking your time to leave us your comment on Tripadvisor.
Even taht we are very surprised will all your comments, I would like you to know that we are taking them very seriously and that all the appropriate actions will be taken.
I hope that your next stay will more approcaited.

Best

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just got back from a fantastic week staying at this hotel,for most of the week we were the only ones staying in the hotel and they gave us one of the suite rooms so we felt really spoiled. The food was all home cooked and tasted perfect, we had real Moroccan food. Breakfast was eggs, cakes, bread, fresh orange juice and coffee. dinner was 3 course, soup/salad to start, chicken tegine, couscos,etc for main and then homemade chocolate mousse,fruit ect for dessert.
we hired a car from Marrakech airport and drove to Ouarzazate about 3-4 hours over the Atlas mountains on hindsight we should have hired a 4WD! We then did various trips to Zagora, Dades valley, Todra Gorge where we hired a guide and some horses and spent 3 hours in the palermeries and the Gorge..fantastic, we went through Assettif Aventures about 700 metres from the start of the Gorge. we also want to mention Arafa Mohamed who owns a shop a few doors down, he sells some really nice Berber made items and will give you tea whilst you browse. On the whole we had a fantstic week staying at this Hotel.
just a helpful note on tipping, we tipped quite generously where ever we went as the average wage here is still low, they consider 5dh or 10dh a good tip which is 30p and 70p, we usually left 20dh for dinner l(£1.50) I tipped the chef and the room maid at the end of the holiday, and gave alms (money to the poor) sometimes on the street as I saw the locals do this all the time although there were not too many we never gave money to the children but took fruit and cereal bars,things they don't normally have up in the mountains.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oscar H, Gérant at Oscar Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hello,

I would like to thank you for choosing OSCAR Hotel in Ouarzazate.
I'm glad that all you enjoyed your stay went well and you enjoyed particularly the food. It is excellent in fact. The chef chooses local ingredients and cook them in the traditional local way.
It is nice also that you liked also all your trip to the south of Morocco. it is a very nice and welcoming region.
I hope to have the opportunity to host you or your friends on your next visit to Ouarzazate.

The manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

You arrive in Ouarzazate, the Hollywood of North Africa and you find immediately a nice small Hotel.....the Oscar Hotel.
Here you'll sleep surrounded by what was built by many big movies.
The Hotel is friendly, clean and the food is of good quality.
You can also take a tour of the sets built by various films done in the backlot of the Atlas Studios Atlas, just next to the hotel.
enjoy your days in Ouarzazate sleeping at the Oscar Hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Oscar Hotel? Share your experiences!