“a stop on the way to paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Guest House Merzouga
| Bp 24, Merzouga 52202, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 57 Merzouga B&B and Inns
Cles, Italy
“a stop on the way to paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

When I first visited Maison Merzouga Seggaoui in December 2009 I was travelling with my kids, aiming to show them the genuine Morocco that I had experienced while living in the country years ago. I found Maison Merzouga through tripadvisor and cannot stress enough how, for once, the reality exceeded my expectations. I have been back to Morocco several times this year and always try to fit in a visit to Hassi Labied and the Seggaoui family. My most recent visit dates to mid-August 2010.
On each occasion I have appreciated how Lahcen, Ali, Amar and the team of extended family who help out in the guesthouse manage to make their guests feel both ‘special’ and, at the same time, ‘part of the family’. Theirs is an innate sense of hospitality (characteristic of Moroccans in general and of the Saharan Imazighen in particular) combined with a genuine and spontaneous interest in their guests and the stories, traditions and experiences they have to share and compare. This balance of cordiality and respect was particularly appreciated on the occasions I was travelling alone, and I have seen how many visitors to Maison Merzouga go on to remain friends of the Seggaoui family over time.
There is a surprising number of things to do in Hassi Labied. Take a walking tour of the village, the palmerie and the khettara (traditional aqueduct and irrigation system) with Ali; check out the activities of the Association Hassi Labied, run by a small group of volunteers from the village who run literacy courses for local women, a nursery school for village children and many other projects; if you’re there on a Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday a visit to Rissani, (ancient Sijilmassa for those with a penchant for al Bakri, Ibn Battuta and Leo Africanus) with Lahcen as he buys supplies at the souk is a must; and don’t miss the 4x4 desert excursion with Amar (travelling on a budget I was hesitant but thank goodness temptation prevailed!). Ali is an efficient organiser and can offer sound advice and practical help with local activities and with ongoing travel.
With regard to the structure itself, the traditional layout of the spacious premises ensures that one never feels crowded while always feeling at home. I can only confirm, without reiterating, the positive comments on the rooms, service, facilities and food to be found elsewhere here on tripadvisor! I would add that the pool is a welcome addition, large enough to refresh and restore without being uncomfortably ostentatious in this desert environment. Finally, if you are concerned about a possible language barrier, do not fear: besides their native Tashelhit, the Seggaoui brothers speak Arabic, French, English, Spanish, Italian, German and even a little Japanese!
My experience at Maison Merzouga and in the village of Hassi Labied in general has been so positive that I will, insh’allah, be bringing a small group of social science students on a field trip in early 2011.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We leave tomorrow after three days that have been just the greatest pleasure. Hassan qnd his brother Amar and all the staff have been just wonderful. The place is spacious and beautifully decorated and the rooms have air conditioning. Food is excellent and my wife is in the kitchen as I write this, learning to make Moroccan food. The staff has bent over backwards to make my 15 year old daughter welcome. We had Amar take us out for a day-long tour by 4X4 which I cannot recommend highly enough. We were the sole occupants of the bivouac and the trip out and back by camel was unforgettable. Swimming pool is very nice

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

There is much to say about the beauty, hospitality, and amenities of the Guest House Merzouga, but, as a lover of good food, I would like to call attention to the kitchen where Fatema, master Moroccan cook, delivers the most delicious home cooked dishes from warm crepes to doughy doughnuts to moist crumpets for breakfast and from fresh salads to flavorful tagines to fluffy couscous for lunch and dinner. While you can find round, flat bread in every nook and crany of Morocco, Fatema's is by far the best. The Guest House Merzouga has the most amazing food I ate while in Morocco.

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in this lovely guesthouse. Spacious rooms, great food and very nice family. They have now even a swimmingpool! Ali and his brother did the utmost to make it comfortable. We did a tour by jeep with Said as guide and an excellent trip by camel early in the morning to see the sun come up. Magnificent experience! I would certainly recommend this place to stay during your trip in Marocco!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

Delayed at Gatwick by the volcanic ash we found ourselves here 3 days later than we had originally planned, but Ali, one of the trio of brothers who run this hotel on the edge of the Sahara, was extremely understanding and accommodating, ensuring that our travel plans were not upset in any way. The hotel is very well appointed with a beautiful collection of Berber and Tuareg rugs, the rooms were en suite, spotlessly clean and rustically furnished and the main dining room has an unusual fireplace built to resemble the facade of a ksar. The food here is top notch, plentiful and excellent value.

It is obvious that Ali is a people person and takes great interest in his guests. We really enjoyed our conversations with him and I appreciated him taking the time to explain to me the meaning of the mofits on the rug we purchased from him. He also arranged a very interesting 4X4 guided tour around the Erg Chebbi and an overnight camel safari for us, both of which were wonderful experiences that we would have been unable to do on our own and were excellent value for money. The most memorable thing about our visit is the love and pride Ali has for his culture and his willingness to share this with his guests. True desert hospitality!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Nijmegen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We will never forget the conversations with our host in guesthouse Merzouga. There is a genuine interest in the travellers who come by. Besides that, the rooms are spacious en comfortable and the food is very good (ask for Berber Pizza!!!). There will be a gorgious swimming pool - almost finished.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying here for a couple of nights and I would highly recommend it to anyone who heads out to Merzouga. The accommodation was amazing and set amongst incredible scenery. Ali and his brothers made us feel like we were staying with family and the food was the best we ate in Morocco.
This place was the best we have ever stayed in and we can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Guest House Merzouga? Share your experiences!