“Dar El Janoub continues to be awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar El Janoub

You added Dar El Janoub to your Saves list
Dar El Janoub
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Village Hassi-Lbied | BP:22 Merzouga, Merzouga, Morocco   |
Ranked #8 of 62 Merzouga B&B and Inns
London, England
“Dar El Janoub continues to be awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at Dar El Janoub in 2010 and was driving through Merzouga again and planned to spend some time in Dar El Janoub after a wonderful experience previously.

The second stay was to the same standard as I had expected from 2010. I arrived late in the evening, around 10pm, the hotel staff were incredibly hospitable and welcoming and asked if I had dinner or if they should arrange something. I asked them to arrange dinner. A freshly cooked meal was served up and it was to a very high standard. It was finished off with fresh fruit that was perfectly ripe and served cold. It was a thoroughly enjoyable dinner.

The rooms are decorated in a traditional Moroccan style, this style may appear a little dark for some, but the rooms were very clean throughout and the bathroom was also spotless and spacious.

There is free wireless throughout the hotel that is fairly fast considering the location in the middle of the desert!

We made use of swimming pool which was also clean and quite refreshing in the hot weather.

Breakfast was a traditional Moroccan affair, served to a high standard, and was an absolute feast. If you do manage to get through all of breakfast, make sure you don't have to hurry off anywhere!

There is ample parking, if you happen to drive here although the staff are happy to make arrangements for you including collection and drop off in Fes.

The owner and all the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. Dar El Janoub is a very relaxing and quiet place to stay with great views over the sand dunes. If you just need some time away from the rest of the world, this place will do it for you!

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook sand dunes, if you want to wake up to sand dunes, make sure you require a room o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
dareljanoub, Responsable Reception at Dar El Janoub, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Firstly ,thank you so much for taking the time to leave your great feedback following your stay with us at The Dareljanoub Hotel. I was delighted that we met your expecations and I do hope that you enjoyed your holiday abroad. I have passed on your kind words to the team . Please do visit us again in the near future.
Rachid Berhi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We arrived in Merzouga at 6am via the Supratours bus from Fes. We were meeting our camel trek here so we let ourselves in. Kareem was very helpful and very friendly while we waited for our trek to begin. He allowed us to eat breakfast there and even gave us a room and shower to use while we waited for a very small and more than reasonable price....20 MAD for a shower and air conditioning was well worth it! After our trek we stayed one night here and had a wonderful time. It was an excellent place to relax after a hot but amazing desert experience. Dar El Janoub was very clean and had a fresh coat of paint. The rooms were beautiful and we could see the dunes from our window! The food was made to order and could be prepared at any time you request. Our 3 course meal was brought to our room, each course separately so it would not be cold. We had a few meals here, all of which were delightful. Our final morning breakfast was prepared early, specially for us, at our own table overlooking the dunes. A beautiful resort with very friendly and accommodating service! Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Merzouga!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
dareljanoub, Responsable réception at Dar El Janoub, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

A very nice hotel, comfortable and clean rooms. A relaxing swimming pool area. Good food. Very good service. And all that with an amazing view on the sand-dunes. Forget an uncomfortabe camel-ride and desert-camp: just stay in your hotel room and enjoy the view from your comfortable hotelbed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012 via mobile

They have balconies overlooking the dunes in the morning and wide starry horizons at night. The rooms are huge and spacious... Exuding a kind of spartan, minimalist luxury that is a welcome change from the over-the- top opulence which we saw in many passing kasbahs. There was nothing understated about the manager rashid who cut a striking figure with his traditional kaftans and dramatic hand gestures. He proved a hospitable and entertaining host. After a long trek in the desert, dinner was a hearty and hearterning affair... Both nights, so more points for consistently. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed December 2011
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I stayed here as part of my Morocco tour for two nights and it was just amazing. It far exceeded any of my expectations. The food was just beautiful and the rooms were very nice. I had a room which looked towards Merzouga but you could just see bits of dune to the left of the window which really reminded you of where you were. I loved the atmosphere at the hotel. The terrace which leads out into the Sahara is just an amazing place to finish off at the end of the day or to have breakfast at in the morning. If you get the chance to go out for a sunset camel ride, it is a must. It was an amazing end to the day. I was also able to see the amazing sunrise over the dunes from the rooftop terrace - a moment I will never forget. The hospitality was wonderful and it was an all round awe inspiring place to stay whilst out in the desert. We were even treated to an evening of music after dinner. A really lovely touch. The stars at night from the terrace are beautiful. I hope to return one day to such an amazing place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was wonderful. Amazing views, great facilities and friendly, helpful staff. We were at first given a room without a terrace, but when I asked for one we were given a free upgrade to the honeymoon suite. The shower was the hottest and most powerful of our stay in Morocco, the food was great and varied, it is truly a desert paradise. Yes, it's expensive, but it still offers great value for money. We loved this place and can't recommend highly enough

• Stayed September 2011
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We had a fantastic stay at Dar El Janoub. The place is really tasteful and the food great, really tasty and different each night including some Moroccan specialities. The place has clean spacious rooms with great view of the dunes, ask for a suite. Great bathrooms with good hot showers. Pool area is tastefully designed, not over the top, full of flowers and nice plants. One feels like in a desert paradise with birds drinking from the water fountains. The restaurant and tea room feel very cosy. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful - from the moment we arrived we felt very at home. We had a very warm welcome when we arrived of a night bus journey. Rachid at reception was really flexible and nice about arranging trips to the desert. He and other staff were very friendly and we had great times telling jokes and playing drums with them all in the evenings. This place is great value and we would definitely return and recommend to anyone going to Merzouga.

Room Tip: ask for a suite - have amazing view of the dunes
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Rachid Berhi

Been to Dar El Janoub? Share your experiences!