“What a stunning place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 hotels in Merzouga
Sark, United Kingdom
“What a stunning place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Merzouga is another place I last went to 15 years ago - it used to just have one auberge (well actually it was a hut in the desert). Now how things have changed! The Hotel Nomad Palace is a little distance away from Merzouga, it is set in it's own wide open space about 500 metres from from some truelly stunning dunes. The term "palace" is applicable to this hotel - the rooms are just stunning, the courtyard is stunning, the staff are brilliant. It has to be one of the nicest places I have stayed in Morocco. To top it all the dinner we had was the best food I have tasted in Morocco - the "impromptu" Berber drumming session afterwards was great fun. Oh and make sure you meet Ali the hotel owner - a seriously nice bloke!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have had a very busy start to the New Year so thought a week at the Nomad Palace would be the greatest place to go. I had a week of just relaxing and being spoilt. The staff are so pleasant and helpful. The hotel is expanding and looks really beautiful now. The new rooms are clean and spacious. I cannot think of anywhere else I would rather be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

What a great place, right out the way of anything. Stayed here before xmas for a couple of nights and had a wonderful time. Ali (our host) and his very friendly staff looked after our needs. This place is well off the beaten track and so very quiet, but the evenings, the drums came out and we made up for the lack of wi-fi and tv. The food is great and plentiful and the breakfast is an all you can eat buffet type. And then there's the rooms. Beautiful and huge, and so were the beds.(i got lost in mine, took till dawn to find way out). i would love to go back for more than the 2 days that was spent there. Loved it. Thanks to Ali and the crew.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were brought to our room almost immediately which was very much appreciated after a long journey. The hotel was very beautiful.The room was very nice and huge and the heater worked well. The water heater was also working and don't have any worries about water pressure etc cos it was fine. Some of the staff were friendly and little Mohammed totally made our day with his signature statement - Relax max with no fax! There was no wifi but trust me, in Merzouga you don't need wifi.

We had a nice dinner and there was a cat around. I'm terrified of cats and when we told the waiter, he assisted us. We also had a night in the sahara organized by them. The camel ride was a bit scary for me but it was an experience. As it was winter, it was cold in the tents but they gave us ample blankets. The food at the campsite was very good and we met Mohammed's brother who was just as friendly and wonderful. (These two brothers are such gems!) We love Mustafa as well (the one who brought us to the campsite). He was making us laugh and was wonderful to talk to.

I was being a wet blanket and didn't want to take a camel back but they managed to get me a ride via car. That was wonderful. We had to leave our luggage at the holding area while we were in the desert but were given a room to shower and freshen up. That was very kind. By the way, their breakfast was wonderful!!! I love it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rabat, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel is a true gem. The rooms were clean and beautiful. The service at the hotel is one of the best I've seen in Morocco with friendly, welcoming and helpful staff. This place was a great bargain and we received a lot for the money.

Wells Somerset England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Having travelled and lived in Morocco, I really appreciate this beautiful place on the edge of the dunes. Ali is a charming and helpful host, the staff give wonderful service, our room was lovely - good hot shower and heating on cold December evenings. Breakfast is excellent, on a help-yourself-to-all-you-can-eat basis with lots of variety, dinners are good and we had excellent tagine and brochettes on our two night stay.
This time I did not spend the night in the dunes, but have done so in the past, and it is a good encampment and I do like riding the camel out to the bivouac!
I highly recommend this place, especially if you want peace and quiet as there are not lots of other hotels nearby as with some of the places in this area - this one is separate and greatly benefits from standing alone.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I'd planned to stay at Hotel Nomad Palace during November 2012, but fell ill in Marrakesh and wasn't well enough to travel. I informed the hotel on the day of my supposed arrival, and the owner was good enough not to charge me for the room and trek I'd booked - even though he would have been well within his rights to do so. While I can't rate the accommodation, I did appreciate the gesture and the clear communication on how to deal with the booking agency to ensure that I didn't get charged.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Nomad Palace? Share your experiences!