“very special family experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Attractions in Merzouga
Type: Deserts, Outdoors
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
“very special family experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

the vastness of the Sahara truly manifests itself when you go beyond where motorized vehicles can traverse and hit the dunes. The sunset is majestic and the camel ride, while not high on my list of comforts, was a great way to see and experience this terrain.

• Polish first
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
46 attraction reviews
“gorgeous but exhausting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The dunes are amazing-looks just like I pictured. Took about a 1 1/2 hour camel ride (felt like 3 hours) to a camp with tents and stayed overnight. My 17 year old son was "one with the camel" and loved it. He could take pictures and nothing hurt. The rest of us were holding on for dear life and hurt for a day afterwards. It is something to consider for sure!
The camping was rustic-got very cold. Food was delicious and seeing the stars was absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking. Sleep was elusive due to hard ground and cold.. Woken next day by the Berber guides gentle clapping to let us know it is almost sunrise. Climbed up dunes and watched. Then we had to get back on the camels. Camels looked well taken care of and the camelman was very kind. It was just harder than we thought it would be. 3 of us will never do it again-one of us can't wait to do it with his friends.

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
“Colorful desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

So beautiful, if you have the chance to make a trek into the dunes, do it. We did it, with our tour operator Desert Dream4x4, and we enjoyed every minute and second.
The colors of the desert are just amazing, and even it´s a hostile place - if you are prepared like we were, you can just be stunned by its wonders.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Breathtaking and fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Breathtaking! Highly recommend renting 4x4s to ride around the dunes. Also, I'm happy we stayed two night there as opposed to just passing through for one night in the desert. There is so much more beauty to take in there. Wish I could have stayed longer.....

Visited November 2013
Buenos Aires, Argentina
9 attraction reviews
“Fab but tiring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I had read a lot about the camel treks before coming to Merzouga.
I just wanted to write about what I hadn´t read before, how physically demanding it was to do,
We set out on the camels at around 3pm from our beautiful Kasbah Azalay into the dunes. It was a 1 and a half hour camel-ride to get there, very hot. To me it was quite difficult to do, as I felt every part of my body was hurting by the time we reached the berber tent. I wish it weren´t so far...
Anyway, we got there and spent a lovely nice chatting and findign-out about the berber way of life, amazing, so different to ours.
Then we went to sleep. I am not the type of person that goes camping, never done it. I was petrified inside the tent, thinking there might be a spider or... I don´t know. It might be a silly thought but it happened to me.
Then early morning, very early in fact because we had to catch the bus to Marrakech, so at 5am we were riding the camels back to the Kasbah. It was night still. Our berber guide was able to walk the dunes without any light. Again everything was hurting in my body from the day before, now even more.
It is a great thing to do but it is nice to be aware that you need a certain strength in your arms to hold tightly the camel as you feel you might fall, and that your bum will be sore...

Visited November 2013