“Relaxing location in a relaxing city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pension La Castellana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chefchaouen
Pension La Castellana
Plaza Uta-Hammam | Chefchouen, Chefchaouen, Morocco   |
Ranked #12 of 20 hotels in Chefchaouen
New York City, New York
“Relaxing location in a relaxing city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I moved over to Pension La Castellana after having spent a horrible night at another locale getting eaten by bedbugs. The moment I arrived I could tell that this place catered to a whole different clientele. I liked the fact that I noticed a lot of Moroccan families from other cities staying here, and all in all it seemed like a low key relaxed place. The bedrooms were clean and the beds comfortable.

I didn't think that the receptionist was rude at all, but rather amicable; and apologetic that all he has available was a four bed suite. (Which I took anyway because I didn't want to risk getting bedbugs again, and this location was recommended by other trip advisor reviewers whose opinions I respect.)

Sure the bathrooms are shared, but the showers are hot and the water pressure is good. The place stays quiet and cool during the summer... I can't speak to how it is during the winter, but for what I needed, and the location, value cannot be beat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Tetouan, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Pension la Castellana is in the perfect place for exploring Chefchaouen. Situated in the heart of the medina, literally steps away from the central plaza.
In keeping with the colours of Chefchaouen Pension la Castellana is washed in deep blue. Traditional Moroccan style, rooms open onto a central courtyard of black and white tiles and potted plants. A new roof top area has recently been added, with amazing views in every direction.
The rooms are quite small but spotlessly clean and perfectly adequate. Bathrooms and toilets are shared on each floor, also spotlessly clean. Mohamed the owner is extremely friendly and helpful answering any questions you might have and pointing you in the right direction for exploring, dining, walking etc. There are any number of cafes & restaurants for meals in the plaza, and for me, position perfect, was the hammam right next door. I will stay here when I revisit Chaouen and would recommend it with no hesitation.

The Pension is very reasonably priced at 75dh for a single, 150dh double.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Ufa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Terrible! Cold! No servise! Awful dismal rooms! Odious bathroom! like kennel for dog.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I would not advise anyone to stay at this hotel. The receptionist is very arrogant on the phone. Once there, I discovered that the staff is even more rude. I could't stay there more than 2h ...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I paid 75dh for an admittedly small single room with shared facilities down the corridor. It's traditional architecture, spotlessly clean, friendly staff and great location in the middle of the medina.

I marked down sleep quality as there was building work going on during my visit but it must have finished by now!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

This is a great place if you're not looking for big hotels with all the frills.
We're in our forties and like to combine simple b&b's with luxury hotels during our (business) trips. We checked out the Parador Hotel but found the staff very unfriendly so we looked into the 'pension' and b&b's we found on our way back to the carpark.
If you're allergic to blue than stay away: the whole house is in a bright blue color, yes the rooms too.
We just walked in and were lucky to get the last room for 150 Dhs/ night/ double.
Separate toilet (1) and separate showers (2) - I think per floor: all very clean.
We had a nice small clean bright blue room on the 1st floor near the toilet.
The room consisted of 1 big bed, 1 bedside table, 1 chair and a clothes peg, with that the room was nearly full.
A good thing too are the 2 windows opposite each other so there was a nice cool breeze day and night.
Because the medina is for pedestrians only there is no noise disturbance of cars, in fact I did not hear much noise at all in the house only when the toilet was flushed in the night and the extended prayer call in the morning (I'm a light sleeper, my husband slept through it all).

Mohamed, the owner, is very friendly and helpful - he's the right guy in the right place.

Pension La Castellana does not serve any meals but just across the street good breakfast is served for 20 Dhs per person (fresh orange juice, choice of mint tea, coffee or hot chocolate, choice of toast, pancake and I forgot, served with honey, butter and apricot jam).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I’ve been staying at the Castellana for 11 years now and I’m still going back. Simple, cheap and in the heart of the medina……my fave’.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Pension La Castellana? Share your experiences!