“My favorite in Morocco” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Azaouia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Asilah
Riad Dar Azaouia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rabat
“My favorite in Morocco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

This is a peaceful guesthouse a block away from the medina. It's easy to find, the neighborhood is quiet, and the rooms are amazing. If possible, try to get the room on the roof. Assilah is a serene little town with a clean, hassle free medina. So far I've been here twice for relaxing weekends away from Rabat. Staying here ensured that my time was peaceful and stress-free.

Caroline is a terrific host. She is warm, friendly and inviting. She is wonderful to talk to and she has great ideas about how to spend your time, what to see, and where to eat. Her guesthouse is clean and comfortable. I've stayed in two different rooms and enjoyed both. The beds are comfortable, the linens are crisp, and they all have en-suite baths. But the absolute best part of the stay is the breakfasts. They are never the same, they are always delicious, and somehow they keep getting better. There is always fruit, an assortment of breads, protein, juice, and homemade jams. I know it sounds like a traditional Riad breakfast, but it's more. And weather permitting it's served up on the roof.

This is one of my favorite spots in Morocco. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The roof-top room if possible, but all are great.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Darazaouia, Owner at Riad Dar Azaouia, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement, you were a superb guest ... and I definitely hope you will be returning very soon.
Caroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Gypsum, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My partner and I have stayed for two nights in Asilah at Dar Azaouia, in the terra suite, the third floor room that opens out onto the lower roof patio. There is another rooftop deck one level above us, then a guest room one level below us, and the ground floor which is where the owner and host, Carolne, lives. Dar Azaouia is a beautifully renovated and maintained house, located just outside the medina walls in this wonderful small seaside town. Caroline is lovely, charming, extremely knowledgable and helpful, and serves a wonderful breakfast at whatever time you request. The rooftop patios are sunfilled, decorated with comfortable sofas, and overlook the town - great places to have some afternoon tea (courtesy of Carolne), and perhaps a small snack. This is a beautiful place to stay in a great town, with a perfect host, and I couldn't recommend it any more highly!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

The place is lovely, the house in itself was beautiful, the rooms were clean, breakfast was very nice. Though I am by no means easily offended or a fussy guest, I am sorry to say that the owner, Caroline, was at times rude and condescending, which made us uncomfortable, somewhat ruined the experience, and made me not want to choose this place again, regardless of all its positive aspects.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Darazaouia, Owner at Riad Dar Azaouia, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear clients,
We are grateful for your appreciation given to the high quality and the decoration of our guesthouse. By all means your wellbeing is our priority! Our guests are Kings and Queens and the other reviews are testifying this. However the misunderstanding we had is supposed to be cleared out and hereby find my answer. Dar Azaouia is a guesthouse with food lounge and a large wine cellar as was told you at your arrival. This is obvious as we have waiters circulating around the place and serving food and drinks the whole day and evening. We make it a specialty to serve you Moroccan, Spanish, French, Portugese wines and longdrinks, perfectly chilled and served with skills. We care that every client has the best and most refined service so if one wishes a glass or a bottle of wine, this will be served with appropriate glasses and finger snacks. It is in our philosophy to respect good food and fine wines and our prices are competitive with the ones from shops all over Morocco. It’s not done to bring a bottle of wine to a restaurant as you don’t bring your own food either. Off course at 2 o’clock at night coming from outside with a bottle and asking for just a wine opener is a little over the edge. There are some unwritten rules to respect every ones profession and I regret if I have to cut in the “family atmosphere” we’re known for, because of some abusers. I did not want to offend someone of your family personally, I was only sleep ”drunken”, very very tired from the lack of sleep due to the success of Dar Azaouia and upset by the ordinary way of bringing a bottle of wine in a rucksack to drink it as dwellers do in a youth hostel, not to mention my concern for the other guests who were by that time sleeping peacefully and certainly wouldn’t appreciate being waked by any noise. Nevertheless I still gave you the service 3 floors higher and head back to bed to get up again at 7 to start preparing our delicious breakfasts…with a smile.
If ever you would come back to Asilah, certainly pass by and I’ll invite you for a very good glass of wine on this event. Cheers.
Caroline, the owner of Dar Azaouia
Rabat, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We booked a room here with Caroline, but due to a problem with our bank (not her fault at all) she did not receive the deposit until very late the night prior to our arrival. Since she did not receive our deposit, she had already taken in another guest and was full. However, Caroline called us immediately, arranged alternate accomodations for us, came and met us outside the old Medina, took us to her place, and gave us a tour (nice, clean rooms and a great atmosphere!). Then, the host for our new accomodations came and met us at Caroline's place and walked us to our new accomodations, which were given to us at a discount because Caroline wanted to make sure we paid the same rate that we would have paid if we stayed with her.

This turned out to be an amazing experience. Caroline was a gracious and engaged host and we plan on staying there again soon. Thank you Caroline!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I spent three nights at Dar Azaouia this July. I had the single room with en suite bathroom. My room was beautifully decorated, as are all the rooms at this hotel. The hotel could easily be featured in a design magazine. The bed was the most comfortable bed I slept in while in Morocco. One of the high lights of her decor are the outside terraces which are upstairs and provide not only a beautiful view but nice breezes during the summer heat. Caroline, the proprietor, provides a gourmet breakfast. I am gluten intolerant and once she realized that she made me fantastic savory omellettes for breakfast. One thing is you need to let her know when you'd like breakfast because I sat around for a couple of hours one morning being quiet and considerate and when she found out she said you must let me know.
One thing to be aware of, like all riads in Morocco you will hear your neighbors. There is a central I guess you call patio that goes through all three floors and most of the windows of the rooms open to this patio, so you will hear your neighbors doing whatever they are doing. There was a couple there who were clearly in their own lovers paradise and did not seem to care who heard. So ear plugs are recommended.
The only thing that was inconvenient is that you do not have a key for entering and must knock on a door as you do not have the main door key. Again this seems to be fairly standard in Morocco.
This was one of the most beautiful places I stayed in Morocco and Asilah is a real pleasure, It doesn't have the hassled feel of Marrakesh and is much cleaner and feels much more Moroccan.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Granada, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

The location is quite good, outside the medina but very very close, the house is finely decorated, the ambience is very homely, and the cooking is incredible! Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We arrived in Asilah after a brief stay in Fez and was totally stunned by the beauty and tranquility of this little coastal town, and Dar Azaouia is part of it! We were lucky enough to be given the top-floor suite during our 2-night stay which came with a huge bathtub and outdoor dining area. Caroline is a fun and energetic host with a passion for interior design (which made her hostel super tasteful). Although the hostel is outside of the medina, it's just a few minutes' easy walk which to me wasn't a problem at all!

Room Tip: Love the rooftop suite!
Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Dar Azaouia? Share your experiences!