“Family trip to Redang Bay Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Redang Bay Resort

You added Redang Bay Resort to your Saves list
Redang Bay Resort
Lot 93 Pasir Panjang | office: 131 Jalan Bandar, Kuala Terengganu, Pulau Redang 20100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Johor
“Family trip to Redang Bay Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My Family of 4 was here last week. We stayed for 3 nights 4 days. The service was excellent. Very helpful staff. Always willing to help. The room was excellent. However, the water in the room had a bit smell. Had problem with the room air-cond when we first arrived. But was fixed immediately after we made report to the staff. The snorkeling timing was excellent. Always on time. The food is good for the price and always more than enough and always punctual. Nice sandy beach very close to the resort and can see many beautiful fishes near to the beach. Had a dive trip with this resort dive center. The dive master was excellent. Very cool and experience. Had a wonderful dive and he showed many things underwater. Would give high recommendations to use this dive center for future dives. Many Thanks to Akira and George, Marina, the dive masters and Gokul (service and snorkeling staff) for a wonderful service and help.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Resort around the area is pretty much similar, and I would rate Redang Bay as enough, our room with air condition and hot water was comfortable, water to rise sand from our feet outside our room were good as I recall not all beach resort has this; is a brilliant idea to keep our room sand free. Now, one comment about the noise we heard; my friend and I were both woken up by this noise that believe is coming from moving of gas tank, it was at approximately 4 or 5 am in the morning. The management should really consider a better way to manage this, perhaps staff should be more cautious about working at wee hours like this.Other than this, it quite a decent place for a short break away.

Room Tip: Perhaps don't stay in a room near to their mini pool or kitchen or main building to avoid noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Penang Island, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very basic hotel. Rooms are not maintained as water heater are not working correctly. Air conditioners are not serviced probably not cleaned too the filters. No TV for a RM100++ room per night with a jail like food. Not so cool.... equipped amnenities but not maintained. Safety wise it's good. Hotel staffs are very friendly and helpful. Swimming pool water doesn't look like it's well maintained too. Looks dirty for a dip.

Room Tip: Make sure your room are working the A/C and water heater. Stay near to the unit at higher floor if y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Hi all.I'm intan from Johor Bahru,Malaysia.I'm writing this when waiting for my check out time today at 9.30 am.I come here for holiday with 9 of my friend.Including me is 10.We arrive here on 27 jun 2013.
From start check in till now everything is great! My room is superb (twin sharing) Food is ok.Staff is great! Thumbs UP to all the staff here.From the truck driver till the kitchen staff,beach boy,reception counter staff,all i mean all is very warm in greating and servicing us.My special thanks is for Mr D.B..very humble staff,kind,helpfull and rich with smile.He shows and bring us to see beauty of the sea.He explain everything in very polite way.What i want to say is,Redang Bay Management..you can be proud and lucky to have so many staff like this in your resort!Everyone is great in their job.
Last but not least..keep it up guys!!!
Will come back here again when i have time.
Very recommended to people who searching for the place to holiday! Trust me,Redang Bay Resort is great!

• Stayed June 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

It's not like anything really bad happened during my stay at Redang Bay Resort; the problem is that nothing really good happened either. From arriving at the Shahbandar Jetty to disembarking, the whole experience of Redang Bay was much like a vacation factory: imagine a place where people are herded in all unhappy and emerge after some fun fabrication to be full of wonderful smiles. For me, it didn't quite work like that.
The process of getting to and from the island was hectic and poorly organized, leaving for a typical "me first" rush to the door and an extra hour and a half before the scheduled departure. The staff seemed resigned to this, except for one poor lady who almost got bum rushed by the crowd. The process at both points took an extra hairbending hour and a half, which left me dumped there and back home feeling like I had just gone through a sweaty and irksome spin cycle.
The check in and check out process was more like the exit/entry processing silo, complete with those benches that are sickeningly familiar from the motor vehicle registration waiting bay.* Nothing was efficient. There were not enough people facilitating the check in, and again, they were poorly organized; there weren't enough speakers of any languages to make things efficient.
In terms of accomodations and amenities: I vouched to stay in the dorm, which was adequate up to the point where the walls were ply board thin (quite literally). Thank god I had quiet neighbors. The food in the cafeteria was dismal, though edible. Again with the poor management, though: at one meal, there were simply no napkins anywhere. I opted to pay the extortionate prices (RM30 for a burger) at the a la carte place down by the beach. Luckily, the man selling ABC was wonderful, and we had a nice chat that made me feel human for a nice 20 minutes.
LUCKILY, I was at Redang Bay to dive, and I did manage two dives while I was there. The dive staff at Redang Bay are what made the trip pleasant for those few hours I was underwater. Jacie, my dive guide, was slow and patient with me as I reacquainted myself with the process and equipment. I had some bad luck with one of the dive site's current being too strong, but the house reef dive was pleasant and fun for a new diver. I saw the other divers also having some fun, so I felt better about spending a chunk of change on that part of the trip. The staff there is great.
But I didn't feel good about the rest of it. Redang Bay Resort is ridiculously overpriced for the headache to get there and the colorless ambience. Maybe people were seeing beautiful mermaids and sea unicorns when they were snorkeling that I missed, because I'm trying really hard to write nicely about a place that other people seemed to enjoy. I'd just bite the bullet, spend a bit more on Redang Kalong, and have a much more enjoyable experience. Unless you want to dive with Redang Bay, in which case I would suggest you spend the night somewhere else and walk over.

*To be fair, that area became a movie theater later.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Spent 3D2N there with my family in June 2013. 3D2N package is more like 2 days and 2 nights as the 3rd day is a checkout-and-leave the resort early in the morning after breakfast. Overall the resort is well run and organized. It is no Laguna Redang but the price is much cheaper than Laguna. The resort is of medium sized, maybe about 80 rooms or so. We stayed in the Quad room. The room was clean and the A/C was excellent. The foods were OK and average. Something to eat to fill up your tummy. Nothing to brag about. However, one thing that we did not like is the tap water. It has a strange smell, kinda like diesel smell. We were told that the water is pumped from deep underground. Why that would make the smell, I don't know. Perhaps chemical reactions to Chlorine, etc. I would think a good carbon filtration system would get rid of the foul smell. The water smell was a major issue for us.

Other than that, it is an OK resort to stay and enjoy the island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed at Redang Bay each year for several years with a group of university students and have noticed steady improvements during each visit. Madam Tan always extends a welcome to our groups and is a kind and caring host. Accommodation varies with the students sharing very basic economical dormitory style rooms to private chalets. Our chalet had the new addition of a flat screen TV along with separate shower wet room and toilet. A small washbasin area had a hairdryer and small fridge. Beds were comfortable and several cushions were provided. It was a very hot time and the air conditioner struggled to keep the chalet cool but was just adequate for comfort. Outside the chalet was a drying rack to dry off all of your snorkelling and swimming gear. The package includes breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Generally the food is of good quality and being buffet style you can help yourself to satisfy your appetite. In particular we enjoyed the afternoon tea with home baked sweet rolls and cakes. I loved the delicious coffee with sweetened condensed milk. On site there are shops, a bar and a beach front cafe run by a delightful older couple who offer drinks and snacks at reasonable prices. The main activity at Redang Bay is snorkelling with morning and afternoon trips well organised and safely supervised by the resort staff. At least one trip should be to the Marine Park (5 Ringgit environmental levy imposed) where there is an abundance of tropical fish of all colours. We also saw two Green Turtles and a Moray Eel. For the more ambitious there is organised scuba diving and the resort even offers an 'experience dive' for a novice to try out. It's a slightly bohemian and laid back relaxing experience staying at Redang Bay which is situated on a gorgeous stretch of white sand beach in a beautiful bay. Having been a regular visitor I cannot understand some of the moans made by others. I look forward to returning again to Redang Bay on my next trip to Redang Island.

Room Tip: Book a chalet for that extra comfort and privacy...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Michire C, Manager at Redang Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you very much for the comments & feedback. We thank you for your support that you keep returning to redang island and glad you had a great time there. We are also grateful & lucky to have a group of wonderful employees that made your stay an even better one. Our resort will continue to improve in all areas and hope to see you again soon.

Been to Redang Bay Resort? Share your experiences!