“Great location and good diving” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laguna Redang Island Resort

You added Laguna Redang Island Resort to your Saves list
Laguna Redang Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Pasir Panjang, Redang Island | S-5, Wisma Tenang, Jalan Sultan Sulaiman, Pulau Redang 20000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Pulau Redang
“Great location and good diving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Located at the end of one beach, Laguna is reasonably secluded. The rooms are good although the bathrooms a little small. The dive shop is excellent value and Jake, John and Robyn couldn't be more helpful. No fuss diving.
Food is fine - all buffet - hordes of package tourists. Go 45 mins after the start.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Thank you to the staff of this beautiful resort for making our stay and reunion birthday party a great and memorable one.I have been a visitor of this beautiful island in the early 70s and 80s as a group of diving enthusiast camping on the island ,(there was not hotel then).This is my 1st trip after more than 30 years and I am glad we chose Luguna Resort.To me and my party we enjoyed our stay every bit that we extended our stay by one more day.The place was clean and layout wasnear to everything.The resort was well design and clean,from the gardens to the rooms.The main dining area was huge and well laid out.The food that was served was tasty and plenty full,with asian and western cuisine daily.The staffs were friendly and always courteous.With the help of Mr Jaganathan we manage to have a wonderful evening celebrating Eddy 60th birthday.What more can we asked.?Truely a wonderful place to have an enjoyable holiday.We have already plan our next holiday here.Alan Crosbie,melbourne

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

my partner and I took a 3D2N full board package and we had an amazing time!

1st we arrived at KT airport where the staff from Laguna were already waiting for us. (We paid extra RM18/person for a 2-way transfer airport – jetty – airport). We boarded a big bus loaded with many people whom I presumed came to KT via coaches and were also picked up by Laguna staff. After about 30 mins, we arrived at the Merang jetty where we registered at the counter and got our boarding passes from the Laguna staff (you need to pay the RM5/person conservation fee here if you have not done so during booking and keep the receipt with you as you need to show it during the snorkeling trip to the Marine Park). Laguna has many boats and everyone was assigned to a particular boat so that there’s no chaos. If you like to have your luggage checked in to the boat then you may do so at another counter but we preferred to carry the luggage ourselves.

The boat boarding pass has a time assigned to it and the staff would shout out the boat number when it’s time to board. Though there were many people, everything went very smoothly as things were very well organized. After about 1 hr, we arrived at the beautiful Redang island and were welcomed by the staff at the jetty. We were ushered into a ‘waiting hall’ where we were given a briefing by a staff. Then off we headed to the hotel lobby where chilled welcome drinks were served whilst we were registering for our rooms. As our room was not ready yet (it was like 11am), we chilled out at the beach till 11.45am when I decided to ask about the room again (though we were told to check in after lunch) and it was ready! So, quickly we went into our Deluxe Garden room and it was lovely. Then soon we headed to the recreation centre to rent the snorkeling equipments for RM30/person as the same are not included in the package (which is fine as not everyone snorkels) and return the same to the room as we did not want to rent it just before the snorkeling trip which will be packed with people in queue. Then we headed to the restaurant for the buffet lunch which was served from noon to 2.30pm. The food was good with variety and everyone was assigned to a table so there’s no need to fight for table like we have to do in some crowded resorts.

1st snorkeling trip was at 3pm in the deep sea where we gathered at the jetty (3 mins walk from the jetty to the hotel lobby) and we had so much fun! My partner had some problem with his mask but one of the staff helped to solve it immediately. We returned to the resort around 5.30pm, played in the pool and had some beer by the beach before getting ready for the bbq seafood dinner which was served between 7 to 9.30pm.

Day 2: buffet breakfast was 7 to 9.30am. after breakfast, we gathered at the jetty again before 9.30am for our 2nd snorkeling trip and this time we went to the Marine Park where we had to handover the conservation tickets we bought earlier. Basically, no ticket, no snorkeling at the Park. Then the last snorkeling trip was at 3pm at the deep sea. We bought some bread from the resort at RM2/packet and the fish loved us! Unfortunately we did not see any turtle or sharks like we did in Perhentian Island but overall we had a fantastic time. My partner also did some shore snorkeling in front of the resort and he said it was amazing too! So for those cannot swim but would like to try snorkeling, that is highly recommended.

Day 3: had breakfast and checked out around 10.15am as our boat transfer was at 11am (1st transfer was at 9am for those who had to leave earlier). We were assigned a van who sent us to the KT airport so again it was very well organized till the end. Since our flight was at 6.30pm, the van driver asked if we wanted to take a drive to KT town to have lunch at RM5/person. I asked if there was other things to kill time, he said nothing in KT. So, we decided not to join the lunch tour and he sent us to the airport first whilst some people chose to have the lunch tour.

Tips:
1. it’s kinda cold during the boat transfer from the jetty to the resort so bring a light sweater to save you from suffering for an hour like some people did.
2. if you are tired when arrived at the resort like we did, do not feel shy to ask a couple of times if your room is ready. We did that and got our room early
3. do rent the snorkeling equipments earlier than the rest as I saw the long queue at the recreation centre just before the 1st snorkeling trip.
4. do get the beach towels from the pool counter earlier too
5. deck cushions can be obtained FOC just like the beach towels from the pool counter but all has to be returned by 7pm on the same day. We took those cushions to the beach decks.
6. KT airport is super boring. If you have to wait there for few hours for your evening flight like we did, bring something to kill time like games, books etc. We had lunch at ‘the only’ café there, got a table near the power points and plugged in our gadgets and that saved us from boredom!
7. visit More More Tea Inn (Mo Mo Cha) at the beach. We got cheaper beers there but not after buying them at exorbitant price at the hotel beach bar!

Room Tip: seaview room!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The resort is huge and well-organized. The snorkelling trips included in the package were excellent; we have seen lots of beautiful reef fish in 3 different spots. We stayed at its deluxe pool rooms. The rooms are big and neat. All meals are in buffet type, offering reasonable choices to both local and foreigners. We like its local food, such as fishball noodle and char koay teow, really yummy. The resort has a nice pool so quite many families staying there. Its beach is very nice and clean. We could see some big reef fish on the right of its shallow beach. One thing to improve is its shower. Hot water was not available at peak hours (after dinner).

Room Tip: avoid sea view rooms if you are light sleepers, as the live music is on every night at the beach fro...
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Good stuff:

1) So much food. Meals all provided for. And it's good! Think I'm guilty of being one of those who piles their plates with food. But I actually did finish everything down to the last bit. They offer a BBQ dinner once every 2 days I believe.
2) Rooms were well done. Room service makes the room into tip top condition every morning
3) Beautiful beach right at the door step. Do borrow a lifejacket at 35 RM. Waves can get a little choppy at time. Though I'm a decent swimmer, I found myself pretty exhausted as I was constantly steering myself towards the direction I wanted to head towards. This is probably the only resort that has duty personnel/lifeguards on standby to monitor any dangerous activity
4) Good and well-organized snorkeling trips. The crew really take the effort to take pictures of you underwater at a shipwreck which is found at the Marine Park.
5) Easily accessible to other portions of beaches, where there are other snorkeling sights.
6) Mosquito free! Didn't even get bitten once throughout the stay, which is considered a miracle of sorts, since I'm a magnet for the pesky bloodsuckers.
7) Great music at the night from 8pm onwards. Sit down and enjoy the music for free!

Not so good stuff:

1) The food is very suited for an Asian in my opinion. I really enjoyed the spread they had, but may not really be suitable for the American or European palate.
2) Quite a lot of Chinese people from PRC. Nonetheless, these guys who come are quite a refined bunch, so no worries about them. They are pretty family oriented too, they do bring their little ones around. This may be a bad point if you have a strong dislike for their kind. But it's definitely not an issue for me. =D

Definitely a great trip. Worth the $$$ that you spend.
Highly recommended for you to part with a little bit more to fly berjaya air. Saves time which you can then translate to do other things.
Do get some underwater footwear. My wife and I cut our feet quite a number of times due to underwater rocks, shells and corals. Ouch!
AND PLEASE PUT SUNBLOCK. The water is deceptively cooling. The UV rays are busy frying your skin while you admire the fishes.

Cheers!

Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My family and I are just arriving from a paradise beach at Laguna Redang Resort.
We stayed at Laguna Redag for 5 days, at Garden Deluxe room, near the main lobby and beach. It’s a spacious room, with 1 king bed and 2 single beds; with a balcony and a functional bathroom. But for me the importance thing in a room is its cleanness, and here there’s a fact! Room and bathroom everyday was remarkable kept!

Overall, the resort was well organized in all services. Yes, the Buffet time got crowed, but that’s the usual! The food was always full field and delicious all the time, my kids loved the Chinese noodles, and now they keep me asking for that!

I have to admit I was a little suspicious about the resort, after I read the TA reviews, which said “Chinese people all over the place”. Obviously, that’s a fact, due to their proximity to the Redang Island! It’s the same when we say the Spanish or Greek Islands are crowed with Europeans travellers! But, I also realize that there were many Italians around. So, at night was something interested to see about – the mix cultures and the different manners – there was a queue to the fruit – and the Asian People got directly to the watermelon and Italian People, mad about it, came to them and said “please, there’s a queue, you must come to end of it” and that person made an expression that don’t understand the problem. The Italians went to the table arguing alone and the others kept on serving. But the resort has anything to do with it! It’s the mix of cultures! That’s why we travel, to meet new ways of live!

About the paradise – what a gorgeous beach…it’s almost like Maldives. White sandy beach, 30 degrees temperature, turquoise sea, with some soft waves on the changing tide, girls just loved it! And the shore snorkelling was amazing, in a few braces, you can see lot’s of fish, coral, clown fish, tiger fish, rays, baby sharks, everything right off the beach. You can get your goggles for a symbolic fee for all week or you can also enjoy a free snorkelling tour. The snorkelling tours got much crowed, so we just preferred to do the great snorkel on the beach.

I only suggest an upgrade service for the resort – the beach is a little far from the pool area, where we are supposed to catch our towels and mattresses of sunbeds. With children, it gets a little difficult to someone to carry everything alone, so I think is reasonable for the resort to offer that service or make that carry way shorter, putting that service on the beach, instead of the pool. The resort should

We dived, every morning, for 5 days, with Laguna dive centre. Diving there was so cheap! We had fantastic dives around the island with a truly well humoured team. The dives spots were all near the resort and the farthest one were on the north coast, 30 min boat ride. Redang island has great extensions of hard coral, lot’s of nudibranchs, rays and turtles and a huge visibility. We also participated in a big task – saved a ray shark from a fisherman net and next day a diver’s team went there again to cut the net and their offer was a Whale Shark appearance! Wow, and no one was caring a camera!! Next day, everyone went diving and carried a camera (including the staff), but there was no more whaleshark L! Who knows next dive!

You can also make some shore walks on the beach and see a few more hotels on the way. And seeing the others resorts, you can realize that Laguna is simply the best resort around there. First, they have their own pier, on the other side of the bay, avoiding the beach pollution, where the boats from transfers, boat with products and goods to the resort, snorkelling tours and dive tours set-off. Regularly, we saw boats sending travellers and leaving new others in the middle of the beach, for the rest of the resorts. People enter and leave the boat on water, without conditions, with luggage and everything getting wet and the boat gets so much smoke around there. Laguna has its own pier.

In the middle of our stay, the resort informed us that we’ll be visited by a cruise passengers, that will passed all day at our resort. It was like an invasion! We were resting at our beach chair, and people come to sit on, careless that it has been taken or not. They didn’t bore to ask if they can seat, they just did it. We couldn’t leave the chair just for 5 min to go to the water, because we were afraid to loose it. It was a rush afternoon!

At night there was always something to do - we enjoyed a great live music performance by the beachfront, played snooker at the disco or even had karaoke for our own.

We all had a wonderful holiday around here and I really recommend this resort for families and diving. Now, we already miss everything.

Room Tip: deluxe rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The beach is beautiful and the snorkeling trips organized by the resort was good. Perhaps we were there during high season. The place was overcrowded. The main restaurant serves buffet only and it feels like eating in a huge, noisy canteen. Some tourists pile their plates with a mountain of food - perhaps the resort should charge for wastage. The food is not excellent. At the only restaurant which serves from an ala carte menu, service is poor. However, decent food can be found at local restaurant along the beach.

The bar on the beach is excellent. While we laze on the beach - play, swim and snorkel - drinks and snacks can be easily ordered.

Room Tip: The bar can be noisy till late. If you're an early sleeper, choose a room facing the pool or on...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Laguna Redang Island Resort? Share your experiences!