“Awfully Bad!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Kuala Lumpur
“Awfully Bad!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I stayed for 3d2n at a standard room in this resort. When I & my partner arrived, we were greeted by a troop a friendly staff. The room I stayed in was utterly basic which comprised of 2 queen beds, one dressing table, one chair, a long rack for your bags, one clothes hangar. Frankly speaking, I didn’t expect the room to be so horrible since the price I was paying was not cheap. I found that there was not even a decent place to hang your clothes let alone a piece of art in the room. The floor was full of sand and even the rug on the floor was sandy. The food was OK but I was surprised when one of the staff spat several times while preparing the omelet for breakfast!!
I booked the package through one of the most reputable travel agency in KL. However, on my 2nd day here, I received a ‘not so friendly’ visit from the hotel manager saying that he has not received any payment from my agent. I told him I had paid in full and by cash before I departed hence he shall chase my agent for the payment. To my shock, he continued harassing me by saying if he doesn’t receive the payment by the time I check out, he will have no choice but to demand me to make full payment again! I dont think it was appropriate as his collections problems with his business partner is none of my concern. Despite the horrible experience I had here, I have to admit that the snorkeling trip with the staff was quite fun. However, they need to improve a lot on hospitality.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

For 499RM a night, the room was not at all what I expected. Starting from the late pick-up at the airport, to being greeted by a clearly run-down chalet which might or might not have been cleaned, and having to collect my own room towels at the often unmanned reception, it was a disappointment. We tried the buffet-style food there on our first day then gave up and had most of our meals at Coral Redang next door which was miles better. While the room and experience was not terrible, a little comfort and service should have been available at the rates they were charging.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Although many may say that the rooms in Redang Holiday are small and VERY basic(no TV, no telephone,no toiletries), my experience there was pleasantly unforgettable. This place is suitable for those who wants a "out-of -touch" trip where you immerse yourself in the natural beauty and carefree surroundings. You can get to enjoy yourself to the core without disruptions from phonecalls and other electronics. The sun-sea-sand environment is enough to keep you engaged throughout the trip and you won't have time to think of other things back home. The beach is unspoilt and water is temendously clear. This is paradise for those who are not fussy and who are looking for a relaxing holiday rather than a luxurious one. The people there are very friendly and sincere. They put in their best in whatever they do. The snorkeling trips are extremely fun and they kept me running back for more. 3D2N was definitely not enough for me. I would still visit Redang island again and certainly don't mind staying in Redang Holiday once more. All the good things just neutralises everything......

• Liked — It is simple but nice.
  • Disliked — The water.
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Been to Redang Island 8 times for the last 20yrs, this is by far the worst resort i experience. Five word to sum up: Dont come here! Everything sucks!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

Well when we arrived the staff come and take you bags as you get off the boat, and take you to check in. The rooms are small and very basic, only small towel is provided. The food is ok, always something to eat, but it is all chinese and Malasian food. Maybe somewhere where more western travels stay may vary in the the food provided.
There are no sun beds on the beach, the beach is not clean always bottles and rubbish around.
There is construction on site at the moment and the dirt and watter runs onto the beach where you have to pass, so you find yourself jumping and walking round this stream of dirt.
On departure the staff take your bags and have them put on the boat, straight after you board the boat. When I got off the boat and was given back my bag I noticed my mobile was missing! I am 100% positive that it was there before my bag was placed on the boat. The staff did nothing, no phone call or email to appologise. I wouldn't recommend anyone stays here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I spent 4D3N at this little resort, which sits right at the end of the island. The trip was excellent, despite what some travelers said. To certain extend, before my arrival, these bad comments had shaken my will but I am glad I stick to it and found the resorts to be above average after all.

Some said the following and this is what I say:
1) Some said "the resort has no bed" but I say "not true, the resort's bed is very comfortable."
2) Some said "the food taste terrible" but I say "not true, the food taste really good and everyone must try their BBQ."
3) Some said "NO TV" but I say "you fly to KT, take 1 hour boat ride to watch TV???!!! Enjoy the ocean view instead, if not stay at home."
4) Some said "Terrible service and manager threaten to fine for lost gear" and I say "Service is decent and serve you right for not taking care of others belonging - you would have done the same to others"
5) Some said "Too pricy" and I say "I totally agree but that depends when you go, where you bought the package but for the good food, ocean view and experience is worth it"
6) Some said "Resort locate too far away from the jetty" and I say "totally true but I like the exclusivity"
7) Some said " Too nosy with load music" and I say "Unfounded"
8) Some said "toilet bowl has brown water" and I say "You don't drink from it and save the earth please"
9) Some said "I have to clean the plate on the table" and I say "So??? Why can't people clean up their own mess nowadays???"
10) Some said "Staff don't understand English' and I say "True they always talk gibberish but never fail to give me a smile".

Just a reminder to all people who is reading trip advisor review, most bad comment were made based on their own bad experience, which most of time may be self-inflicted.

This is not the best resort I stayed before but definitely not as bad as some might said. I enjoy the ocean, the fish (in water or on dinner table), the food, the people who speak gibberish, the TV-less room and more importantly an experience I will never remember.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Just got back from redang holiday and this resort stood out from the rest due to its serenity. Yet, the party places are easily accessible by walking. Even walking on the sand was pleasurable.
The semi-D bungalow seaview is a must-have for anyone who wants to unwind from city life. The view is breath taking and the rooms are spacious.
A 4D/3N package would be highly recommended and try to go during off-peak season as once the large number of tourists comes rushing in, it spoils the serenity of the place.
Food was simple but excellent, staff were helpful and friendly.
You can walk to other resorts to party and come back to experience the peacefulness of redang holiday beach villa. Remember to ask the owner of the resort named, John to tell you the location the "blue glowing sand" that appears on the shore (walkable distance) after 12am.
Great host and great place for people who loves the style of natural living.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Redang Holiday Beach Villa? Share your experiences!