“Amazing Diving School” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Amazing Diving School”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

This is an amazing place to learn diving.. With some of the best dive matsters, this is where you should learn diving.. I did my Open Water Course here.. Schedule was for four days, but with the amazing instructions and training provided, i was able to complete in three and used the extra day for leisure dives and fine tuning of my skills.. The staff is friendly and the owners are very modest people.. They even encouraged me to do the Advanced open Water Course and provided me with massive discounts to do the same, but I needed two days to complete this and time wasn't on my side..

The rooms weren't the best i've stayed in, but had the basic necessities.. This aint no 5 star, but its comfortable enough if yuo are ready to do whatever you have to by your self.. Thats right.. no room service, but since you are there for diving, you can still manage without it.. The facilities aint too far away from the rooms and are easily accessible..

Its a sure recommendation if you want to go diving, but i wouldn't recommend this place if you are there for anything else and if you are looking to get spoilt rotten..!! :)

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones facing the beach, the other rooms look over at nothing.. :)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

As all other reviewers say, this place is not a luxurious resort. It is quiet, not meant for the party people and families with little kids. Different mix of people when I stayed there, couples, families and friends. The common dining area for everyone means it is possible to strike up conversation with other people during meal times. Staff are friendly and helpful.

We came via Berjaya Air, and we were picked up from Redang Airport with a minivan to Redang Jetty and we took a small boat to the hotel. The whole trip from airport to the hotel took only 20-30 mins.

Room is clean with good aircon. If I have to be very fussy, I would say I found a few dead ants on my bed during my stay. No idea where they came from. Room walls are amazingly thin. We could hear next door neighbours talking and snoring (!). We were lucky that the people during our stay were generally quiet and but it was amusing how they seemed like they are in the same room as us.

There is no TV in the rooms (only 1 in dining area), but then we didn't go there to watch TV really. Also note that there is no wifi in the rooms. There is some wifi at the common dining area but we have to pay RM20 for the whole stay.

Beach is clean but it has a lot of shells and rocks, i.e. not soft sandy beach. I do not mind since I love collecting shells! However this means that it is not an ideal beach to walk around barefooted. What I love about the beach here is that it's really quiet and it is possible to take a walk along it without encountering anyone.

There aren't much things to do in the evening. If you seek some excitement, it is possible to walk to the popular Long Beach (Pasir Panjang area), which took ard 15 mins. But it is not advisable to do this in the evening as it got really dark and the walk took you passed some jungle area. So what we did was took a walk to Long Beach during the day to enjoy the soft sandy beaches and the crowd, and came back to our quiet peaceful beach before dark :)

Food is normal stir-fried Chinese dishes with BBQ on alternate nights (favorite!). I was okay with it, but I'm not sure if the Westerners are used to it.

Conclusion: a very nice place to relax and snorkel or dive. But not really recommended for families with little kids and people who are looking for lotsa things to do.

Room Tip: Try to get seaview room. Cost a little bit more but worth it when you wake up in the morning with in...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Redang Kalong is a fantastic diving and snorkelling resort, not a luxury resort hotel!
I would highly recommend it for that.
My family of 5 had a great time, 3 divers, a teenager who learnt to dive (PADI Open Water) and a non diver (snorkeled).

The resort has many positive attributes including:
Beautiful secluded location away from everything, sandy beach, cleaned daily, idylic palm tree lined with sea facing rooms right on the beach;
Great dive school;
Highly competent, knowledgeable and friendly instructors;
Many great and varied dive sites - lots of coral and fantastic variety of fish/ marine life;
Good snorkelling, trips out twice a day to varied sites;
Good house reef;
Good mix of guests, not European dominated;
Food generally very good, simple and of local type- plenty of it, but not sophisticated!
Rooms good, clean, comfy beds and with very effective and quiet A/C;
Price very reasonable;
Walking access to nearby resorts if you want some more life.
All the staff were lovely and always attentive to individual needs, for example my non diving daughter (20) was always asked to join in the snorkelling trips.

No real negatives from my perspective, but there are limited number of things to do in evenings and the food can get a bit repetitive.

We travel a lot and rarely return to the same place, but we firmly intent to return to Redang Kalong next year!

Room Tip: Front sea facing, well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

had a 3 d 2 n snorkelling package. we were scared at first as there were quite a few bad reviews on the food and rooms but as all the other resorts were fully booked we had to take this resort. NO REGRETS! the moment we reached the jetty we were greeted by the friendly staff! One of the guest, dropped her hp in the water and to my shocked, the staff went all out to actually get it for her. We got the seaview room and it was definitely cosy and comfortable although its not luxurious or one of those five stars resort but it was more than what i had expected. The hammock and seat just right outside our rooms are just perfect for stargazing with ur loved one. snorkelling sites were great and the guides were all fantastically friendly and fun eventhough some of them dont even speak your language, Food was nice and NOT TASTELESS nor was it more like CHINESE cuisine. The island was just so beautiful. The good things about this resort;
-they have free flow of bread with jam/butter/peanut butter and coffee/tea all day long
- free usage of facilities like games eg; table tennis
- free usage of the karaoke room. but compilation of old songs and very limited
-canoeing is free
overall we both had a very good experience and would definitely come back to this very simple but yet lovely resort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

i got my self a seaview room.. the view is breath taking.. every morning i would lay down and enjoy the sea-breeze and view in-front of my room. the staff here are friendly and courteous.
the food they serve are very basic and it taste good as well.. they have different menu everyday. it is a very quiet resort. it is not far away from pasir panjang where u can reach there on foot.. most likely 15min if u walk on normal phase.
the surrounding of the hotel are great.

however they should have a clean public/guest use toilet for their guest if they have already checkout from the room.

if you are looking for a resort that is not crowded, having your own privacy (not sharing beach with other resort/ travellers), kalong would be a great choice. value for money too..
however it may not be a good place for honeymoon coz their room's walls are not sound proof.. basically if you talk any louder other room can hear your conversation clearly.. u got to whisper..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Had a great time doing my rescue diver course here in June'11. My family including cousins enjoyed the snorkeling in the marine park.
The staff were friendly.The lodging and the food was value for money. I am planning to go back there in August with friends and family again.

Room Tip: Add a bit extra to get the sea view rooms.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
asia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We went with family & friends. Simply love the place. It's a very home-stayed style, with very warm, friendly & helpful staffs. It's a very quiet place, great place to relax.

Rooms - Rooms are generally clean & comfortable. Love our sea view rooms.

Food - We are not really particular abt food, so we find the food are rather ok. It's very thoughtful of them to provide snacks in noon time. After the afternoon snorkelling, we do feel hungry, it's nice to have some light snacks for us. =)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Redang Kalong Resort? Share your experiences!