We used Berjaya Air to get to this stunning island and then got on a bus to the resort. Here is a summary of our stay:
Beach and Open- Water Diving Course
The beach is truly amazing and the water is crystal clear. It is unbelievable! Even clearer than the pool. The only reason we were in the pool is because we booked the open-water course and had to do a couple of dives in the pool. Kim, the diving instructor was great and there was only 1 other person with my husband and I at the course. So we felt we got personal training. The sea dives were amazing, the coral was very alive and the array of creatures observed was very diverse.
The beach was not crowded when we were there and the loungers were plentiful. The sun is strong (although there was always a nice breeze) and tanning is effortless. Kayaks and paddle boats awere readily available and I think we used them for free.
The service was good. Staff smiled and greeted us, however some staff were not as friendly. We got a complimentary chocolate cake on our second night (possibly because we were honeymooning), which was delicious and we thought it a very nice gesture.
The spa was nice and the masseurs were skilled. My husband had a strong massage and I had a scrub and we both enjoyed our treatments.
We booked a sea-view room and while the view was breath-taking, the room itself was outdated and occupied with very basic furniture (not a 5* room in my opinion). I do not advise this room if you are looking for a luxurious amenities. The bathroom was separated with blinds so the view can be seen from the shower and bath-tub which was great for us. The bathroom itself was not great though.
The food was bad until we discovered the restaurant at the back of the resort which was pricier but provided considerably better food. The breakfast buffet was not good, flies all over the fruits, tasteless sausages, and not a good variety. I only stuck to eggs and toast. Do not go for lunch or dinner buffets as they are terrible. Food is imported into the island so this might be why it was not fresh.
We rented bicycles from the vendor just outside the resort to explore the island. There wasn't much to see so it is not recommended.
In summary the beach and diving course were amazing and I would definitely go back, although the accommodation is basic, the location makes up for that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ‘The Taaras’ is a bespoke Private Beach Residence, tucked away and hidden from the outside world on a small Island found just off the unspoilt East Coast of tropical Malaysia. Considered to be one of the most beautiful Island locations in the South China Sea, the Isle of Redang is home to our natural, yet stylish resort found on one of the most spectacular bays surrounded by one of the bluest oceans on earth. The resorts ethos is to provide a contemporary, barefoot luxury experience with warm Asian hospitality, remembered with a smile long into the future. The name of the property is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘TAARA’, meaning ‘Star or Apple of my eye’ as well as ‘Goddess of the Sea’ which are all represented and epitomised by our mermaid figurehead. The resort is managed by The Taaras Luxury Group, and was formerly known as Berjaya Redang Resort managed by Berjaya Hotels and Resorts. With the stylish suites and rooms, as well as a stunning five bedroom Private Villa perched high up on the cliff overlooking the ocean and resort below. The resort boasts commissioned furniture and bespoke photography of Redang Island and the landscapes of Malaysia. Each suite or room contains oversized beds and hand-picked linens and fabrics for your comfort. Most rooms and all suites have larger washrooms containing both bath tub and separate rain or monsoon shower (some with spa bathtubs looking out over the rainforest or the bay). Most residences have an outdoor balcony or verandah and our suites at the top of the cliff summit have spectacular views over the beach and ocean below. For clients who prefer or require further privacy ‘The Cliff Private Villa Bay & Sea View’, our private five bedroom residence perched high up on the cliff more than meets the requirements; private access, a Villa Host at your ‘beck and call’ as well as twenty four hour security; should it be a necessary requirement. The residence also enjoys a sixteen meter Infinity swimming pool, personal fitness room and both interior and exterior lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, AsiaRooms, Despegar.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Redang Resort - Malaysia Hotel Pulau Redang
- Berjaya Redang Beach Hotel
- Berjaya Redang Beach Resort
- Hotel Berjaya Redang Beach