Stayed here for 4 days 3 nights. We all went there by taking a flight on Berjaya Air from KL. The plane is a small turbo-prop plane which can only seat about 60 people, but it lands directly on the island so that's definitely the best way to get there. From the Redang Island airport to the hotel is only about a 5 minute bus ride (the bus is a Berjaya bus, and it's provided by the hotel). Once we got there, everything went super smoothly. Even though the check-in time was supposed to be at 3PM, but when we arrived there at 10AM, their friendly staff was out to greet us while we were taking a breather in the lobby & facilitate an early check-in for all the guests. No need to queue up at the counter at all!
This is totally in contrast with our experience when we went there for the 1st time 3 years ago...then we had to wait for 3-4 hours to get our room..it even got to the point where we fell asleep waiting in the lobby. Now, it seems they have upgraded their service and we had only arrived barely 15 minutes before we were ushered (via a golf buggy) to our rooms. That has got to be the best check-in experience I've ever had at any hotel.
We stayed in the Redang Seaview room, which was situated in a apartment-type building on top of a hill overlooking the private bay & beach of the resort. The room was very very clean and it's no wonder because the building is quite new (it was in construction 3 years ago). It was spacious, had excellent amenities & decoration, had a totally superb breathtaking view of the sea from the windows & balcony...it was everything I could wish for. The room had no carpets though, only tile-flooring..but no matter, I used to complain if the room didn't have any carpets, but this time it was totally okay because I found a solution...just bring my house-slippers! =)
All the staff that we encountered during our stay there was very good & had very polite manners and were willing to help & serve us to the best of their abilities. Even the cleaning ladies were polite & excellent...the two times they came to my room to clean, I had a very positive impression about them. However, out of all the staffs there, only one had a truly lasting impression on me as being a totally fantastic service staff...and that is Mr. David, the Outlet Manager of the resort. He was willing to help all the guests on literally anything, and had a very charming, friendly, charismatic personality. Once, while we were waiting in the lobby for the golf buggy to take us back to our room, he came up to us and said "Is there anything u need miss? Talk to me...tell me what you want, tell me what you neeeeddddd?"...lol =) It sounds funny, but for me his concern is very genuine. In short, Mr. David is the man.
All the time we were there, we ate 2 meals in a day (buffet bfast & dinner) at the hotel restaurant. Basically, it can be said that the food there wasn't THAT good, but they were okay and we had our fill. There were one or two dishes each morning & evening that's delicious...then the others would be so-so. I still can't forget their Bread Butter Pudding with Vanilla Sauce though...heavennnnn! :)
Now, as for the beach at the hotel....this has been, and I think it will remain to be, my most favorite beach of all. It is spacious, with white very fine sand, is not crowded, very private and safe. Oh, and did I mention the water? It is soooo blue & so clear that if there's a boat that moors there, it'd seem to be floating in mid-air. The sea is also packed with all types of very colorful & lively fish...although the corals were not so good (mostly dead). But still, the marine life that can be found when you go for a dip in the sea here is totally amazing. We also went for a snorkelling trip by boat, whereby the resort's boat would take us to 4 places where the snorkelling is good. It's all done in a very orderly way, with a safety briefing at the start & everyone's got to wear lifejackets. One thing though...on the snorkelling trip that we went on, there was maybe about 20+ people in all. Although the resort's boat was fairly large, my FIL happened to have a look at the boat''s certificate..and it turns out that the boat's capacity was only 12 people! Gotcha! Lol :p Everything went smoothly & safely though...so that's good. Thank God.
Now, we get to the negatives. Every hotel/resort must have a few negatives right? Firstly, regarding the room that we stayed in. This type of room is not really suitable for the elderly/disabled, as one would have to walk up & down a very long & multiple-levelled stairway to get to & fro the beach. Getting from the room down to the beach is easy-peasy, but when one wants to return to the room...let me just say that the climb up the stairs would leave you breathless..unless you are totally fit. For young people, it should be no problem..but for my FIL & MIL who are both 55 yrs old & above...hmm, not soo..poor them.
Okay, next one. I thought that only the food served during the buffet dinners/bfasts were so-so, but it turns out that the room-service food was even worse. For the price we had to pay, the food could really have been better. My hubby & me ordered a club sandwich & chicken burger. The presentation of the food was very appetizing as always, but once we dig in....it's a whole different story altogether. Guys at the kitchen...please improve! It's okay for us locals, but please don't let our friends from overseas be disappointed with the food that you serve. And...thank you for the avocado in the club sandwich...that's the 1st time I ever saw an avocado...oh I see, you guys charged me so much just for the avocado eh? Lol lol lol lol :p
Okay, that's all I guess. In conclusion, it was a very fun & worthwhile stay. Berjaya Redang Resort still remains as my #1 favorite vacation spot. It's like you don't want to go back home at the end of it all, you just wanna stay there & stay there...but you can't...so you have to drag yourself up to the check-out counter. Oh well...I'll certainly be back again, Berjaya Redang! :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ‘The Taaras’ is a bespoke Private Beach Residence, tucked away and hidden from the outside world on a small Island found just off the unspoilt East Coast of tropical Malaysia. Considered to be one of the most beautiful Island locations in the South China Sea, the Isle of Redang is home to our natural, yet stylish resort found on one of the most spectacular bays surrounded by one of the bluest oceans on earth. The resorts ethos is to provide a contemporary, barefoot luxury experience with warm Asian hospitality, remembered with a smile long into the future. The name of the property is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘TAARA’, meaning ‘Star or Apple of my eye’ as well as ‘Goddess of the Sea’ which are all represented and epitomised by our mermaid figurehead. The resort is managed by The Taaras Luxury Group, and was formerly known as Berjaya Redang Resort managed by Berjaya Hotels and Resorts. With the stylish suites and rooms, as well as a stunning five bedroom Private Villa perched high up on the cliff overlooking the ocean and resort below. The resort boasts commissioned furniture and bespoke photography of Redang Island and the landscapes of Malaysia. Each suite or room contains oversized beds and hand-picked linens and fabrics for your comfort. Most rooms and all suites have larger washrooms containing both bath tub and separate rain or monsoon shower (some with spa bathtubs looking out over the rainforest or the bay). Most residences have an outdoor balcony or verandah and our suites at the top of the cliff summit have spectacular views over the beach and ocean below. For clients who prefer or require further privacy ‘The Cliff Private Villa Bay & Sea View’, our private five bedroom residence perched high up on the cliff more than meets the requirements; private access, a Villa Host at your ‘beck and call’ as well as twenty four hour security; should it be a necessary requirement. The residence also enjoys a sixteen meter Infinity swimming pool, personal fitness room and both interior and exterior lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Tingo, AsiaRooms, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Redang Resort - Malaysia Hotel Pulau Redang
- Berjaya Redang Beach Hotel
- Berjaya Redang Beach Resort
- Hotel Berjaya Redang Beach