“I just love this place...a little slice of heaven!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort

Save Saved
You added The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort to your Saves list
The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 126, Main Post Office, Pulau Redang 20928, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 13 hotels in Pulau Redang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“I just love this place...a little slice of heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Stayed here for 4 days 3 nights. We all went there by taking a flight on Berjaya Air from KL. The plane is a small turbo-prop plane which can only seat about 60 people, but it lands directly on the island so that's definitely the best way to get there. From the Redang Island airport to the hotel is only about a 5 minute bus ride (the bus is a Berjaya bus, and it's provided by the hotel). Once we got there, everything went super smoothly. Even though the check-in time was supposed to be at 3PM, but when we arrived there at 10AM, their friendly staff was out to greet us while we were taking a breather in the lobby & facilitate an early check-in for all the guests. No need to queue up at the counter at all!

This is totally in contrast with our experience when we went there for the 1st time 3 years ago...then we had to wait for 3-4 hours to get our room..it even got to the point where we fell asleep waiting in the lobby. Now, it seems they have upgraded their service and we had only arrived barely 15 minutes before we were ushered (via a golf buggy) to our rooms. That has got to be the best check-in experience I've ever had at any hotel.

We stayed in the Redang Seaview room, which was situated in a apartment-type building on top of a hill overlooking the private bay & beach of the resort. The room was very very clean and it's no wonder because the building is quite new (it was in construction 3 years ago). It was spacious, had excellent amenities & decoration, had a totally superb breathtaking view of the sea from the windows & balcony...it was everything I could wish for. The room had no carpets though, only tile-flooring..but no matter, I used to complain if the room didn't have any carpets, but this time it was totally okay because I found a solution...just bring my house-slippers! =)

All the staff that we encountered during our stay there was very good & had very polite manners and were willing to help & serve us to the best of their abilities. Even the cleaning ladies were polite & excellent...the two times they came to my room to clean, I had a very positive impression about them. However, out of all the staffs there, only one had a truly lasting impression on me as being a totally fantastic service staff...and that is Mr. David, the Outlet Manager of the resort. He was willing to help all the guests on literally anything, and had a very charming, friendly, charismatic personality. Once, while we were waiting in the lobby for the golf buggy to take us back to our room, he came up to us and said "Is there anything u need miss? Talk to me...tell me what you want, tell me what you neeeeddddd?"...lol =) It sounds funny, but for me his concern is very genuine. In short, Mr. David is the man.

All the time we were there, we ate 2 meals in a day (buffet bfast & dinner) at the hotel restaurant. Basically, it can be said that the food there wasn't THAT good, but they were okay and we had our fill. There were one or two dishes each morning & evening that's delicious...then the others would be so-so. I still can't forget their Bread Butter Pudding with Vanilla Sauce though...heavennnnn! :)

Now, as for the beach at the hotel....this has been, and I think it will remain to be, my most favorite beach of all. It is spacious, with white very fine sand, is not crowded, very private and safe. Oh, and did I mention the water? It is soooo blue & so clear that if there's a boat that moors there, it'd seem to be floating in mid-air. The sea is also packed with all types of very colorful & lively fish...although the corals were not so good (mostly dead). But still, the marine life that can be found when you go for a dip in the sea here is totally amazing. We also went for a snorkelling trip by boat, whereby the resort's boat would take us to 4 places where the snorkelling is good. It's all done in a very orderly way, with a safety briefing at the start & everyone's got to wear lifejackets. One thing though...on the snorkelling trip that we went on, there was maybe about 20+ people in all. Although the resort's boat was fairly large, my FIL happened to have a look at the boat''s certificate..and it turns out that the boat's capacity was only 12 people! Gotcha! Lol :p Everything went smoothly & safely though...so that's good. Thank God.

Now, we get to the negatives. Every hotel/resort must have a few negatives right? Firstly, regarding the room that we stayed in. This type of room is not really suitable for the elderly/disabled, as one would have to walk up & down a very long & multiple-levelled stairway to get to & fro the beach. Getting from the room down to the beach is easy-peasy, but when one wants to return to the room...let me just say that the climb up the stairs would leave you breathless..unless you are totally fit. For young people, it should be no problem..but for my FIL & MIL who are both 55 yrs old & above...hmm, not soo..poor them.

Okay, next one. I thought that only the food served during the buffet dinners/bfasts were so-so, but it turns out that the room-service food was even worse. For the price we had to pay, the food could really have been better. My hubby & me ordered a club sandwich & chicken burger. The presentation of the food was very appetizing as always, but once we dig in....it's a whole different story altogether. Guys at the kitchen...please improve! It's okay for us locals, but please don't let our friends from overseas be disappointed with the food that you serve. And...thank you for the avocado in the club sandwich...that's the 1st time I ever saw an avocado...oh I see, you guys charged me so much just for the avocado eh? Lol lol lol lol :p

Okay, that's all I guess. In conclusion, it was a very fun & worthwhile stay. Berjaya Redang Resort still remains as my #1 favorite vacation spot. It's like you don't want to go back home at the end of it all, you just wanna stay there & stay there...but you can't...so you have to drag yourself up to the check-out counter. Oh well...I'll certainly be back again, Berjaya Redang! :)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

634 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

Definitely a place to recommend ! Beautiful beach, hotel complex with nice rooms and good restaurants. Perfect to relax for a couple of days with your family or friends from the hectic life in KL or Singapore. The service we experienced was 1st class and we have been always treated perfectly from A-Z.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

This was our second trip to Berjaya Redang Beach Resort, the first being 2 years ago in April 2007, and the resort has undergone major upgrade renovations since that time which are an obvious improvement.

The best way to get to the island from Australia is by air from either Singapore or KL and we traveled from Melbourne Australia specifically looking for a quiet and peaceful beach resort, and that is exactly what we found. The beach is fantastic and the resort offers other activities such as Scuba, snorkeling, island hopping, kayaks, jungle trekking etc. We had the massage as couple at the spa, a must for full relaxation.

The Seaview rooms are the better option rather than the Hillview rooms, and offer great views of the beach, resort and nearby hills. Sunrise can be observed over the nearby hill and beach.

The staff are very friendly, courteous and obliging, especially if you make the effort to converse in Malay, no matter how little, if only the words good morning, thank you or good night. We Aussies find that to be easy, as we are generally a friendly lot, and the compliment is then returned by the staff, who then seem to go out of their way to look after you.

The resort is not as large as others that we have visited in Malaysia, like the Shangri La Rasa Ria at Kota Kinabalu or the Berjaya Langkawi, and offers a quieter boutique atmosphere, exactly what we were looking for. It may get busier at other times of the year, however in April when we were there on both occasions it was reasonably quiet, in spite of holding a major Fishing competition group from China on our visit this year. It appears that groups and conferences are kept separate and take their meals in other facilities.

Would we go back again….. We already have……

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

View is gorgeous, staff are all friendly, room is big and comfortable...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Hamburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

Hotel location is perfect with an own fantastic beach. The only deficits we had with the service. The check-in process was incredible complicated and took too long. When we wanted to check out in the morning the concierge was still sleeping in the back office. On 2 of 3 days they forgot to give us new towels. After giving them a call to send us new towels it took more than 30 minutes and a couple of phone calls more. At least the staff is very friendly.
Moreover the prices for soft drinks are definitely too high. 10 Ringgit for a can of coke are too much!!!!!! And 15 Ringgit for two hours snorkelling equipment are also too much for Malaysian price level.
Last but not least the hotel does not offer any kind of cancellation term. We had to pay 100% at the time of booking which was not refundable.

Anyway, it is probably the best hotel on the island and we did not regret having paid the money.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

We had our wonderful wedding in Berjaya Redang Beach Resort. The entire hotel staff were extremely friendly and did their very best to ensure perfection in our wedding. A beautiful wedding ceremony by the last rock on the beach followed by a beautiful dinner on the beach under the stars. It was just perfect! The beach has to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world with crystal clear water and white fine sand.
We are very glad to have chosen this resort for our wedding. All the guests and ourselves had a great time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

This is my 2nd visit to the Resort, after almost 10 years. My visit this time is with my buddies and their respective partner so 5 rooms were booked. We arrived by flight around 9.30am. The reception told me that they have only reserved 4 rooms with king bed and another 1 room with twin bed. I was pretty annoyed coz the instruction was very specific...all 5 rooms with king bed. Took 2 hours to complete the room selection process and in the end 1 of my friend took the twin room.

We took the seaview room. The view was fantastic. The room is clean and comes with standard amenties but no hair dryer. Maybe u need to request for it.. Day bed by the window. The balcony is nice with a coffee table & 2 beach chairs. It overlook the beach and the sea below. It is open concept for the bathroom with a venetian blind to separate the bath from the bed. Best for couples only.

The swimming pool is rather small but it's really that that important coz the sea is crystal clear and the pool is just secondary, so no issue to that.

The coffee house is rather small and it's pack. Our reservation for 10 persons wasn't attended to and we were squeezed into a rather small table fit for 8.

Snorkelling trip was great as we got a boat all for ourselves. The corals however are not impressive anymore. By the way, there is no sunset or sunrise to watch.

Overall, it's a very nice resort, quiet and tranquill. If you are looking for a nice relaxing stay you can consider staying here. It's probably the only high end resort in Redang. If I were to go to Redang again with my buddies only without our partner, I'll probably choose another place at Long beach, cheaper & less luxury resort but probably more lively and happening.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!