We wanted to see the east coast of Malaysia and were recommended this island by family in the country; and the travel agent in Malaysia found us Taaras Beach Resort for a 2 nights stay package, in September 2013.
Due to time constraint, we couldn’t accommodate the usual itinerary which included a trip by boat from the main land to the island. Instead we took a Berjaya flight, a 60 seater plane, directly to the Island which enabled us to get there within a 2-3- hours from our hotel in Bukit Bintang to Subang airport and a flight to Redang.
The private beach was clean and excellent for lazing, swimming/dipping and sun bathing.
The Gym was well equipped and overlooked the Bay. There is facility to have breakfast at the Gym after the workout but needs to be pre-booked!
The lobby, internal and external/beach bars, main and a’la carte restaurants/eating areas, pool, and snorkelling and diving centres are well laid out and interconnected making it easy to glide from one area to another. Excellent spa and the deep tissue massage is highly recommended after any demanding leisure activity or for relaxation.
We stayed in a Hill view Deluxe room with a small balcony and a view of the wild garden. The settee and desk top in the room were stained and the shower water leaked on to the bathroom floor, otherwise it was a quiet, clean and a well furnished room . We used the hotel buggy transport only when raining or in a hurry. We preferred the walk to and from the room to the main lobby, restaurants and beach - a good form of exercise and the surroundings were great to take in on route!
Taaras served up a huge and varied buffet menu for all three meals catering for all palates from different parts of world. Perfectly adequate! There were some authentic Malaysian dishes, which took me back to my childhood. I hope that Taaras not only keep these but ensure that they improve on the authenticity which many of the 5 stars in the capital, KL, and other parts of the country are failing to do. ( We have to date stayed in many hotels in Malaysia). Please continue with the culinary delights of all the different nationalities in Malaysia. May be more south Indian food - dosai idly and sambar, banana leaf and meat dishes. Don’t change to suit the visitor’s palates but engage them to sample the exquisiteness of Malaysian food! Some locally produced sparkling water would be nice instead of importing all the way from Europe!
Generally the staff were friendly, helpful and unobtrusive, but it would be even more helpful if they could speak better English. Some hardly spoke any and this made communication impossible at times. And their constant referral to senior staff for explanation of simple things was frustrating.
The ambience and experience at Taaras provides the visitor with the original Malaysian qualities - wonderful food, safety and gentle and friendly people These qualities are becoming the thing of the past in the capital, KL, and other tourist cities.
The resort is is popular with the locals as much as people from abroad- West and Eastern Europe, Africa , Caribbean, Asia etc. Loved the snorkelling and thanks to our young but confident inspiring guide who enabled novices like me to engage in the activity with minimum fear. A great place to chill out and we will definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ‘The Taaras’ is a bespoke Private Beach Residence, tucked away and hidden from the outside world on a small Island found just off the unspoilt East Coast of tropical Malaysia. Considered to be one of the most beautiful Island locations in the South China Sea, the Isle of Redang is home to our natural, yet stylish resort found on one of the most spectacular bays surrounded by one of the bluest oceans on earth. The resorts ethos is to provide a contemporary, barefoot luxury experience with warm Asian hospitality, remembered with a smile long into the future. The name of the property is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘TAARA’, meaning ‘Star or Apple of my eye’ as well as ‘Goddess of the Sea’ which are all represented and epitomised by our mermaid figurehead. The resort is managed by The Taaras Luxury Group, and was formerly known as Berjaya Redang Resort managed by Berjaya Hotels and Resorts. With the stylish suites and rooms, as well as a stunning five bedroom Private Villa perched high up on the cliff overlooking the ocean and resort below. The resort boasts commissioned furniture and bespoke photography of Redang Island and the landscapes of Malaysia. Each suite or room contains oversized beds and hand-picked linens and fabrics for your comfort. Most rooms and all suites have larger washrooms containing both bath tub and separate rain or monsoon shower (some with spa bathtubs looking out over the rainforest or the bay). Most residences have an outdoor balcony or verandah and our suites at the top of the cliff summit have spectacular views over the beach and ocean below. For clients who prefer or require further privacy ‘The Cliff Private Villa Bay & Sea View’, our private five bedroom residence perched high up on the cliff more than meets the requirements; private access, a Villa Host at your ‘beck and call’ as well as twenty four hour security; should it be a necessary requirement. The residence also enjoys a sixteen meter Infinity swimming pool, personal fitness room and both interior and exterior lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, AsiaRooms, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Redang Resort - Malaysia Hotel Pulau Redang
- Berjaya Redang Beach Hotel
- Berjaya Redang Beach Resort
- Hotel Berjaya Redang Beach