“Exclusive resort in Redang” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort

You added The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort to your Saves list
The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 126, Main Post Office, Pulau Redang 20928, Malaysia   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canada
“Exclusive resort in Redang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here as a family of 4. The people are very friendly. It is an exclusive resort with fine sandy white beaches. Fewer people means it is more secluded. We enjoyed our private family time together. Very hot Malaysian weather so we only stay in the shaded areas. Enjoy the swim after 5.00pm when it is cooler. Room has good view, staff are prompt and attentive, very friendly and pleasant in the restaurant. Front desk is helpful for all requests and purposes. Individualised welcome and check-in on arrival. This is the resort for those who want customised personal service at Western resort pricing (or higher) but located in a developing country. Outside the resort one can see the contrasting difference between the villager's basic lifestyle to those in the resort. Needless to say, Malaysian hospitality have always been friendly towards tourists and visitors. They are generally friendly towards everyone but do not know how to make it more personable, which is fine by us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TaarasBeachSpaResort, Management at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

We express our gratitude for staying with us and for sharing this feedback. Overlooking the beautiful turquoise waters, our resort is known for offering various relaxing options and exceptional services. We are overjoyed to learn that your experience with us was at par with your expectations. It is exciting that you appreciate various facets of our resort and had an amazing stay. It is great to know that all our efforts to make this stay a remarkable vacation for you, proved to be true.

It was a pleasure to have hosted you and we look forward to welcome you soon again.

Management @ The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

First off, let me say that the resort itself is beautiful and well kept. A true 5 star facility resort. The beach is the highlight and shining star of the resort as it should be. It is stunning white sand and the ocean water is crystal clear. It is wonderful to swim and hangout in the ocean as the resort is located in a bay and waves are minimal. Our room was a cliffside ocean view suite and was also spectacular with a glorious view of the ocean. The gardens and landscaping around the resort is very well kept and tropical.

Now, having stated the great things about this resort, I will give you the reality. Service here at the resort is pretty much non existent. It is very sad that such a high quality and beautiful resort is managed so poorly. Service is that of maybe a 2 star motel.

When we arrived, we did not feel welcomed, no one showed us around the resort or told us where the dining facilities were located or where anything was located. We were escorted to our room and promptly dropped off with our luggage.

The service on the beach is non existent and you have to go to the beach bar to order any food or drink and they may or may not deliver it to you at the beach. At a resort like this, you expect top notch service. Even when we have traveled to Mexico to an all inclusive resort we got beach service.

Drinks are over priced but we expected that already. We ate one night at the Brassiere restaurant and food was horribly over priced and not good at all. After that, we walked just outside of the resort to Aima which had wonderfully delicious food for a quarter of the price. There is no AC in any of the restaurants.

Staff in general seems disorganized and not well trained to do their job. Not very friendly or helpful.

The final straw was on our last day at the resort. We were told to be in the lobby at a certain time for airport pick up. We called down to have someone come pick us and our luggage up in the golf cart. We waited in our room for 20 min and no one arrived. Finally, we were running out of time and had to walk our luggage down to the reception area. It was very hot and I was sweaty when we finally made it to the reception area. I gave them a piece of my mind. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE at a 5 star resort. The manager was very rude and not apologetic what so ever. The service at this resort is just completely the worst service I have ever experienced at any resort.

Room Tip: The cliffside rooms are worth the money.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TaarasBeachSpaResort, Management at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

At the very outset, we would like to thank you for checking in with us on TripAdvisor. We are disappointed to learn about the inconveniences encountered by you and regret that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction.

We are very concerned by your feedback as your experience was in no way reflective of the standards and overall quality that guests have come to expect from us. In light of the previous testimonials from our valued patrons, the lines of events pulled up by you are unusual. The team at the resort is aware of the inconveniences faced by you and have passed on your concerns.

We will ensure that your experience is not repeated and appreciate your bringing this problem to our attention. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to impress you on your next visit to The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Great white thin sand, transparent water and colors very close to Maldives one, in a natural harbor that guarantees no waves what so ever, despite the sea conditions!
All this is exclusive to the Taaras Beach Resort that owns the whole scenario!!!
The resort is pure excellence in accuracy and service.
A perfect place to be back in touch with nature and yourself.
Very quiet with the sole sound of tiny little lazy waves.
The sole thing we missed is attention on cocktails that are really badly done, as well as food culture.
The place lacks variety in food and overall worldwide cuisine, although buffet does offer a variety of local cuisine that tends to be repeated throughout the whole week, so at the end leaving becomes a nutritional relief!!!
A personal note would be to make specific areas for families with little children at the buffet as well as at the beach.
Anyway, the manager and the staff are dedicated to make everyone feel at best.
Definitely a place not to miss in life!!!

• Stayed May 2013
TaarasBeachSpaResort, Management at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for checking in at our resort and recommending us on this platform through your kind review.

Located on a small island that is found just off the unspoilt East Coast of tropical Malaysia, Taaras Beach & Spa Resort is a haven of tranquility. We are glad to note that you enjoyed the picturesque setting of our resort along with our impeccable service. Surrounded with more than 30 dive sites, our resort is perfect to explore the exotic marine life. We have appointed professional dive team who will not only help guests in their diving adventure but also entertain any question about the marine life. We have also taken a note of your feedback regarding the variety in food and cocktail menu and assure you of corrective measures at the earliest.

We thank you again for your thoughtfulness of sharing this review and look forward to hosting you again.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

THE GOOD

Location and amenities are absolutely beautiful.
- Private beach is stunning!
- Tropical gardens that you walk through to get to your rooms are beautiful and well kept and attract cool wildlife
- The rooms are modern and clean
- The rooms are cleaned and tidied twice a day
- The bed and pillows (very important!) are very comfortable
- Staff are generally friendly
- The all-you-can-eat buffet is worth the money when you get unlimited amounts of seafood which is typically expensive if you come from a western country. My husband ate four local slipper lobsters! And the seafood is cooked really nicely.
- The venison soup was lovely, and the teriyaki set I had at the brasserie was also very nice
- The breakfast is above average, complete with croissants, yoghurts, cereals, hot foods, and an egg bar - all the comforts of home, included in the price of the room.

Bad:
- The service was quite poor. Not only is this our assessment, but other tourists we spoke to at this hotel said the same thing. Despite the amazing location and facilities which are of a 5 star standard, the service at this hotel is certainly not 5 star, and hence, one does not get the sense they are getting their money's worth when paying 5 star prices. I have had better service in 3 and 4 star hotels than I have had here. I will give a number of examples of this below, but in general for now, the service is inconsistent, the restaurants seem to lack "silver service" which is standard in other 5 star establishments, and they don't seem to fix the root of the problems that are apparent in most of the reviews below or our complaints to the staff.

- Because they charge 5 star prices when their service lacks, one leaves with a sense of having been ripped off. Again, the facilities are outstanding, but the service is poor.

- Besides expensive rooms, the other services and products are generally quite expensive. We went to their shop, and suncream was 88 ringgits! My husband ventured to another part of the island, and they were going to charge 100 ringgits to pick him up. He was a 10 minute boat ride away. To compare, we paid 120 ringgits for 2 people for a 5 hour snorkelling tour from a company outside the resort. One would expect that prices at a 5 star resort would generally be more expensive than most other places, but some of the prices were ridiculous, and matched or exceeded that of other 5 star establishments in expensive countries.

- Apart from the dinner buffet value, alcohol and food in general was quite expensive. Sometimes we ventured just outside the hotel where there are a few local restaurants. We ordered a variety of local food that was delicious and really got value for money, paying a fraction of the price we would have paid at Taaras.

- There was also a real lack of communication, and inconsistent, conflicting communication about activities that were on. This meant that we would stay at the hotel on an evening for an event when we would have otherwise headed out, but in the end it didn't happen. (Examples below). On this subject, there was no real document that outlined all the services and information about the hotel, just a few bits of paper about something here or there, and even some of that was wrong.

Here are some examples of the issues I mentioned...

1. I had a bar tender argue with me when I told him my coconut juice was sour and that I was not able to drink it. Their drinks are overpriced as it is, and if i were served this in any other bar or hotel, I would send it back. I had ordered other coconuts there which had been prepackaged, but the one on this day was retreived from a tree just outside the bar. Another staff member came to the rescue and calmly said that I would not have to pay.

2. There was supposed to be a jungle walk on one of the nights scheduled at 5:30. When we turned up to reception, we were told that we had to have booked it, but there was nothing that communicated this on the list of scheduled activities that was in our room. On another evening, there was supposed to be karaoke near the restaurant, but instead there was a singer who had performed the night before.

3. There was a light in our closet that came on automatically when opened, however it would flicker and there were sparks around the switch area. If not attended to quickly, this could obviously cause a fire, or death.

4. At the main restaurant:
A. I ordered banana fritters which was meant to come with maple syrup, but the syrup wasn't provided.
B. One morning, I ordered a poached egg from the egg counter, but it took 15 minutes, and it was the morning we had to check out. On this occasion, I went to the counter 5 minutes after ordering, and the chef was a bit snappy with me and said he would bring it to me in 5 minutes. In 5 minutes, a waitress came by and my husband mentioned it, and she went to him again, but it took a further 5 minutes to get it, and the chef seemed flustered about it and I felt guilty for following up.
C. On the same morning, there were few clean tables to sit for breakfast, and most tables had the cutlery removed. We ended up sitting at a dirty table and had to find our cutlery from other tables.
D. On the night i had the buffet, they were unfortunately out of slipper lobster, but i got crab. They did not provide the tool to break open the shells, and i cut my hand opening up a claw.
E. The brasserie service was generally better, and the waitress who served us both times was at a 5 star standard. But he duck my husband ordered was very dry and tough, and the creme brulee i ordered on another night was spectacular looking but a bit grainy from undesolved sugar.

5. On the last evening, my husband went to reception to pay our account after we received a letter in our room at 9pm saying we had to attend to this before tomorrow morning. We had been in our room earlier that evening so the letter was not received before then, and we had just walked through the reception area and down the path to our room. So my husband had to go back and settle our account.

6. The letter also said we had to be at reception at 11:45 to leave at 12, but this was also wrong, apparently we had to be there at 12:30. (We had to ask three times to ascertain which was true). When we turned up at reception at 12:25, the van was there and full of people, and we were quickly bundled in with our luggage so we could leave.

7. When we got in the van to leave the next day, a reception clerk ran up just as we were leaving and said we owed 9 ringgits for a Mars bar. We consumed this on our 1st night, however we had stayed 3 nights, and i would think this would have been sorted out when my husband attended to our account the night before. But perhaps i should have had some idea as our fridge was not restocked.

I am not a fussy person, but when you are paying 5 star prices and prices for food that you would be considered expensive in an expensive country, then you would naturally expect a high standard.

THE UGLY

After being dropped off at Redang's ferry wharf, we took the ferry back to Kuala Terengganu. As we arrived and were walking out of the KT ferry wharf, a man in a Taaras uniform ran after us and eagerly asked if we needed a taxi and where were we going. We told him we were going to the Grand Continental. He ran up to the driver of a van and had some words with him, and then called out to us saying "you pay 15 ringgits! You pay 15 ringgits!" After we got into the van, there was a family of four who had also come from The Taaras, and they told us that they had paid to hire this van and driver privately, and were confused about why we were there and why we were being asked to pay when the driver had already been pre-paid by them for his time. I felt angry because this was clearly unfair to them, and this was extremely unprofessional of this Taaras staff member. When we got out of the van, I asked the driver "have you been privately hired by this family?" and I had to ask a few times before he confirmed that he had. My husband relented and paid him 10 ringgits, but I am appalled that this happened. It turned out that our hotel was within walking distance from the ferry and would have made for an extremely cheap taxi ride. I have written to Taaras complaining of this incident and am yet to receive a response.

CONCLUSION

Our overall impression is that the hotel itself is stunning, but in terms of the sloppy and inconsistent service, we feel this is a management and organisational issue. We wondered if this hotel was new and still finding its feet, but is has been around for a number of years and has had time to improve. I am not sure why it is considered 5 star. If they invested in some good hospitality and customer service training for their staff, this would be a start, but the change needs to stem from the top. If issues are arising, they need to deal with the root causes, and need to pay attention to this and other reviews and work towards a real solution.

The whole time we were there, we were admiring how beautiful and amazing the hotel and location is, but on the other hand, disappointed because this place has so much more potential and could provide a much better experience.

It is unlikely that we would stay here again...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for staying at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort and reviewing us in detail. Your illustrative feedback has brought many issues to fore and we are really grateful for that. Though we are glad to note that you found the picturesque setting of our resort and the well-appointed rooms up to the mark, we are disappointed to learn of the inconveniences caused to you due to our service.

We assure you that we will strive to analyze the root cause of the shortcomings that you have mentioned and eliminate them at the earliest. We thank you again for taking time out to share your stay experience with us. We hope you would give us another chance to host you with amended services.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The beach at the Taaras is fantastic and the sea as clear as bath water. The snorkelling is amazing with lots to see at the house reef just a short swim away from the shore. The beach around the rock from the hotel is deserted which offers a good opportunity to get away from the crowds and noisy children from the hotel.

The loungers on the beach are very uncomfortable and would benefit from being replaced and they don't recline into a position suitable for relaxing. Also the service on the beach is very hit and miss with plates from lunch often left until early evening and therefore attracting flies. Guests also have a habit of reserving loungers early in the morning and not using them. Given the relatively low number, this regularly meant guests had to do without one. More service staff at the beach overseeing the lounger use would greatly help this.

The real problem with the hotel is the price for food and drink. This has been mentioned before by many guests but it is truly outrageous! Beer is over GBP6 for one bottle, juice or soda is GBP3 and pizza is over GBP12. Yes, the setting is nice but this is well over the price of equivalent places in Malaysia. I strongly recommend using the restaurant just outside the hotel (Aima) where you can get a whole plate of squid for less than GBP1.50!! We raised this with the F&B director and she is committed to reducing prices however sadly not in time for us. She was extremely helpful throughout our stay and is a credit to the resort!

The price for the tours in the hotel is more reasonable however "Joe Glamour" at the Aima restaurant arranges trips for a fraction of the price and he is a great tour guide and will snorkel with you to show the various different species of fish.

Overall, the hotel and setting are nice. It does lack the 5* touches though - eg. no water provided by the pool or beach. They also didn't provide anything special for my girlfriend's birthday despite being notified beforehand.

I can't urge the hotel enough to lower their prices as this really will be the regular and very fair complaint of all guests until it is rectified! We would certainly have rated the hotel more highly but for our huge bill on check out for the over priced food and drink left a nasty parting taste!

Room Tip: Bring plenty of local currency as there are no banks or ATMs on Redang!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TaarasBeachSpaResort, Management at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for checking in at our resort and sharing your stay experience on this public forum. Taaras Beach & Spa Resort is a private resort on the Isle of Redang on the East Coast of tropical Malaysia and is a haven of tranquility. Though we are glad that you liked the spectacular setting of our location, we regret that you were not happy with our tariff structure. However, we want to assure you that we will analyze this issue and take appropriate actions to resolve it. On the same note, we also want to bring to your attention that our tariff structure is in accordance with industry standards.

We are also disappointed to learn that no special action was taken to celebrate your girlfriend’s birthday. However, we want to assure you that we try to go extra mile to take care of our guests and it was one of those rare incidents.

We thank you again for staying at our resort and reviewing it in detail. We hope you would give us another chance of hosting you with amended services.

Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I booked two nights and spent roughly RM 2.2k++ night for the premier cliff sea suite. (I am currently typing this on my first night) Location/view was amazing and worth the price, should the following disappointments not have occurred:

1) Fast response via reservations to book my private Jetty transportation the day of, but after reaching Merang Jetty, heard of a 15 minute delay, which was fine. After thirty minutes, staff at Merang mentioned further delays. after 45 minutes of waiting in the blistering hot sun, our transport docked. My girlfriend and I had to carry our luggages down to the dock. After we settled on the boat, the boat driver stated he was going for a drink, making us wait another ten minutes on top of the 45.

2) My girlfriend noticed the magnificent tub, and wanted to try it out. After showering and filling up the bathtub, switched on the jet streams and noticed bits of black leaf-like pieces in the water. Called guest services to check it out, but they sent housekeeping to clean the tub, apparently not trying to find the root cause. Housekeeping left, and we decided to try again. Tub again took half an hour to fill to minimum line, with the same results, to which I called the guest service manager. She (I forget the name) asked two housekeeping staff to come up and test the tub themselves (was my report and the bits of the pieces still there not evident enough?). With the same repeat conclusion and end result, I called guest services manager and after a few dial attempts, another manager came to check it out. I constantly had people cleaning/checking out my bathtub the whole afternoon, so I could not enjoy any other hotel amenities. Despite knowing this setback, he offered a 10% discount, to which I did not accept. He mentioned any upper management I wanted to talk to would only offer 10% discount. Afterwards, he later offered, in his own words, a downgraded suite worth 2k a night, but only charging me 1.6k at the Cliff sea view suite, throwing in complimentary dinners. I accepted this reasonable offer, repacked, and moved into my new room, only to find out on the website and through their own staff, that my latter room price is only worth RM 1.3k/night = RM1.6k after tax (exactly what he would charge me anyways). Conclusively, the only compensation I ended up receiving was the two complimentary dinners. I tried reaching the manager again, to no avail, as the staff mentioned his line was engaged. I asked for him to call me right back, which did not happen. My girlfriend and I decided to look for him in the lobby and also have our dinner. He was not around, and I asked the staff to have him call my cell when he was available again. This again did not happen, to which I approached the staff after dinner and asked where the manager was. Her reply was that he left work. The stafff offered to call him, and through the phone, was instructed to tell me my room price on the website did not include tax. I showed the staff this was clearly not true (through screenshot of the website room rates), and after tax only amounted to roughly 1.6k. The staff expressed apologies and offerred to have the manager talk to me when he comes back in the morning.

3) Decided to try out our tub in our new room, and not expecting anything worse to happen, our electricity went out, leaving us completely in the dark. So then maintenance had to come by and check it out, told us not to use the jet in the meantime until the tub gets fixed the next day.

I am not arguing for my money, but I am arguing for my loss of a good experience (and showing my significant other a good time) at such a credible resort. Such lack of hospitality is unfathomable, with passiveness clearly evident by the way issues were dealt with. I can only hope tomorrow goes more smoothly.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing to stay with The Taaras Beach and Spa Resort and for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor. Nestled in the unspoilt East Coast of tropical Malaysia, our resort acts as a perfect getaway for travelers.

We understand that the concerns raised by you are valid and we investigated the whole situation. We are relieved to know that immediate compensation was provided to you during your stay as it is our top-most priority to ensure guest satisfaction.

We are happy that a complimentary dinner for two pax, 30 % discount on the room for the first night, one snorkeling three stop trip for two, a complimentary spa for two and a 20 % discount on the boat transfer on your return was arranged for you. We still regret that you lost out on a few hours of experience.

Once again, thank you for enlightening us with your remarks. We hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you with our refined services and facilities.

Tokyo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed in a garden deluxe room for 3 nights.

Pros:

- Secluded bay with a stunning beach, beautiful scenery, amazing views
- Nicely appointed garden
- Very good breakfast/lunch/dinner buffet
- Good treatments at the SPA

Contras:

- Sandflies: beware of these seasonal beasts
- Prices: everything is overpriced for the hotel value, especially drinks, SPA massages and extras
- Service: despite the friendly staff, the service quality does not match at all the hotel category at all!

Would return (out of sandflies season!) just because of the relaxed privacy at the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Taaras Beach & Spa Resort and sharing your stay experience with us. Our resort is located on a small island on the East Coast of Malaysia. We are glad that you enjoyed spectacular location of the resort flanked by beautiful beaches and lush greenery. It is our pleasure to know that the buffet spreads, spa treatments, cordial staff and well planned gardens were at par with your expectations.

We would like to inform you that our top notch services and world-class amenities justify the price at par with industry norms.

We thank you once again for giving us an opportunity to host your stay and look forward for your patronage.

Management @ The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort

Been to The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!