Where to start when writing a review of this amazing property!? My fiancee and I stayed for 3 nights in July 2011 in a Premier Suite and were blown away by this resort, its lovely staff and the sheer beauty of the island itself.
We arrived on 1 July when the Berjaya Hotel officially changed its name to "The Taaras". We were welcommed with a refreshing drink and cold towel and quickly shown to our room. The resort is currently finishing its extensive renovation and the results are impressive. The sea view rooms are the only blocks remaining in the final stages of a makeover and the hotel accommodated guests staying in the higher rooms with a complimentary buggy service (as we were unable to access the direct steps to the beach). This wasn't a problem at all; the buggys came quickly when requested and the lovely drivers were a highlight to getting around the resort!
We booked a Premier Suite and I must say it was worth every cent. The room was enormous, the decor was divine and the view over the bay was simply stunning. We were thrilled by the little touches left in our room (fruit platter, daily chocolates etc), the bed was very , very comfortable and the spa magificent. If you are thinking twice about booking a Premier Suite - don't - it's worth it!
The resort is beautifully tucked away in a secluded bay in Redang Island and there is plenty to see and do. Whether it be lazing on the beach, snorkelling around the island, watching the turtles (that are literally 100 metres offshort from the resort itself!) or taking part in water sport (water sports, parasailing etc) - we were never short of activities! The snorkelling was a highlight as the fish were amazing!
The food at the resort is fabulous. We ate at the Asean Cafe (a la carte or buffet - we the former and it was good food and very reasonable). The highlight though had to be very special "Surf Dinner" we booked through the hotel. Our exclusive dinner on the beach by candlelight (with our table literally in the water and the waves lapping our feet!) was a night we will never forget. The chef prepared a menu especially for us (we gave her full discretion and she did not disappoint!). The trio of creme brulees for dessert was unforgettable!
However, what really makes this resort is the Management Team. They were outstanding. We briefly met the GM Karen Merrick who greeted us at our Surf Dinner and she was absolutely lovely and very welcoming. The highlight of the team was Patrick who delivered outstanding service for all the time we were at The Taaras. He made sure we were enjoying our stay, took care of a couple of minor issues for us and went above and beyond when it came to service delivery. We asked Patrick and the front house team of whether there were taxis at the Terengganu ferry port (as we had a reservation for a one-night stop over there before our flight the next day). We hadn't organised a transfer but when we reached the Terengganu port to our surprise and delight, Patrick and his team had organised a transfer to our hotel for us - free of charge!!!
If this review sounds too good to be true that's because it really felt that way! We were hoping it would be good, we just didn't know it would be THAT GOOD! We also treated ourself at the day spa and the girls there were fabulous. We enjoyed facials and massages at a reasonable rate and the quality was first class. The Taaras also has an excellent gym and each day we were welcomed by the smiling Alim who gave us lots of fantastic tips about the resort and things to do!
Thank you to Patrick, Karen, Alim, Hannafi (our fabulous Surf Dinner waiter!) and the team at The Taaras. You made our stay an unforgettable one and we can't wait to come back and see the final touches of the renovation and re-launch!
Tiffany and Matthew
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ‘The Taaras’ is a bespoke Private Beach Residence, tucked away and hidden from the outside world on a small Island found just off the unspoilt East Coast of tropical Malaysia. Considered to be one of the most beautiful Island locations in the South China Sea, the Isle of Redang is home to our natural, yet stylish resort found on one of the most spectacular bays surrounded by one of the bluest oceans on earth. The resorts ethos is to provide a contemporary, barefoot luxury experience with warm Asian hospitality, remembered with a smile long into the future. The name of the property is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘TAARA’, meaning ‘Star or Apple of my eye’ as well as ‘Goddess of the Sea’ which are all represented and epitomised by our mermaid figurehead. The resort is managed by The Taaras Luxury Group, and was formerly known as Berjaya Redang Resort managed by Berjaya Hotels and Resorts. With the stylish suites and rooms, as well as a stunning five bedroom Private Villa perched high up on the cliff overlooking the ocean and resort below. The resort boasts commissioned furniture and bespoke photography of Redang Island and the landscapes of Malaysia. Each suite or room contains oversized beds and hand-picked linens and fabrics for your comfort. Most rooms and all suites have larger washrooms containing both bath tub and separate rain or monsoon shower (some with spa bathtubs looking out over the rainforest or the bay). Most residences have an outdoor balcony or verandah and our suites at the top of the cliff summit have spectacular views over the beach and ocean below. For clients who prefer or require further privacy ‘The Cliff Private Villa Bay & Sea View’, our private five bedroom residence perched high up on the cliff more than meets the requirements; private access, a Villa Host at your ‘beck and call’ as well as twenty four hour security; should it be a necessary requirement. The residence also enjoys a sixteen meter Infinity swimming pool, personal fitness room and both interior and exterior lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, AsiaRooms, Despegar.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Redang Resort - Malaysia Hotel Pulau Redang
- Berjaya Redang Beach Hotel
- Berjaya Redang Beach Resort
- Hotel Berjaya Redang Beach