“Bad” 2 of 5 stars

Teluk Siang | Redang Island, Pulau Redang 20190, Malaysia   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Pulau Redang
“Bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel has really bad management. We arrived at the Shahbandar Jetty 1 hour before the ferry took off as requested by the hotel. However, we couldn't buy the tickets for the ferry as Redang Island Resort doesn't have a ticketing counter. So we tried to call the hotel but NO ONE ANSWERED. We tried calling around 20 times to no avail. After asking around, we found out that we had to wait for a lady named Anis to arrive. After registering, she didn't pass us our tickets immediately. As the ferry was about to leave, she emerged and passed us our tickets a few minutes before boarding.

The room we stayed in didn't have the basic necessities like a telephone, an auto-boiler, laundry bag and hair dryer. We had to call the reception using our mobile phones because they refused to give us a telephone. Also, another one of our room had soiled panties in the bathroom. When we asked the van if they could pick us up if we wanted to go to the lobby, the driver's reply was "If I am FREE, I will come".

On our last night, around 1am as we were going to sleep we heard people walking outside our room (our room was on the highest floor and everyone else was already asleep by then). We went to the adjoining room to check if the doors were locked and looked though the peephole to check who was outside. We saw a very suspicious man outside who was trying peer into our room.

The only good points of our stay was the snorkelling trips and shuttle service to the village for dinner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

When my husband checked-in on 29 June 2013, 4pm. He was informed by the reception that the whole island was out of water for 3 days. And the water should be resumed at 8pm on the same day. We accepted it and waited for the water. However, at 8pm, we checked with the reception and they confirmed the water was backed. When we entered to the room, the water was very weak and not even can flush the toilet bowl properly and shower.

At the second of day, 30 June 6.30am. There was no single drip of water from the tap to brush teeth. And we called to reception, and reception told us again that no water supply again ! We can't stand this kind of condition and therefore decided to check out immediately.

We trust those resort and hotel that belong or managed by Berjaya Hotels and Resorts is good in service. We think the resort should take immediately actions to satisfy the customers as we traveled very long hours in order to reach Pulau Redang.
1. Resort should inform us in advanced by phone as there were no water supply for 3 days.
2. Resort should arrange the others resort with water supply and transfer us to that resort.
( I have called other resort, and they had water supply on 29 and 30 June . )

We had been traveled long hours and spending the money including the boat trip. This wasted our money and time !

We claimed for the compensation but the response is slow and no point at all. They offer complementary stay and need to be done by end of the year. No sincerity and full of excuse management.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A few words come to mind regarding my stay in RIR – beautiful, heaven, secluded, gem, etc. As a couple traveller, I found this hotel very accommodating and lovely for a relaxing, do nothing but sit and read on the beach. I highly recommend!

From arrival at the airport, they take you to the hotel’s, where you get a cold towel and refreshing juice. The staff were super friendly. They knew my name and were very attentive, always with a smile. I was actually surprised by the food – it was yummy.

Wildlife is all around you, since you are in the island. You will see lizards, frogs, mosquito and bugs. They are all non-threatening and contribute to the environment. If you aren’t comfortable with this, than definitely don’t travel in island.

The best island and hotel.....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked before seeing all the reviews... but we did see them before arriving so were a little prepared.

The service from the reception and massage staff was great, but we did get 'scolded' for not giving our voucher at the restaurant, even though we did each time but they just never got it right!

The most disappointing aspects was the lack of access to the beautiful beaches that are available on Redang Island

AND (the most important ;)

NO COCKTAILS SOLD at the resort! They only sell beer and then we were told they ran out of that a couple of times (we don't drink beer)!

Laguna Island Resort was recommended to us due to price and beautiful beaches ....

We stayed at The Taaras for two nights (let it be noted we were able to cancel a night of our accomodation at Redang Island Beach Resort at no cost) very expensive but it was heavenly!

Room Tip: Sea view room, same price as garden I believe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I generally don't give a rating of poor to the resort I stayed in.

I am a very easy going person, and I've stayed in a lot of places that are basic, in the jungle, and a lot of things but this one just tops it simply by being badly managed.

1stly, the accessability is just way off. It has a small 100m 'beach' which is too rocky to swim, and it is in the middle of the villagers of Redang island. so there is no beach nearby so you're pretty much stuck in the island.

1st night was ok. but the day after, there is no water! we called to the reception and their answer was. "This is normal and standard, every morning there's no water" We have to walk to all the way to to lobby to relieve ourselves and clean ourselves up.

The 2nd night was worst. Being in the tropical forest, we thought it was raining at 3am in the morning when it sounded like the water dripping on the leaves. It sounded so soothing. But to our horror, it was "raining" in our room. The floors were all wet. We manage to sort that out in the morning. We expect some compensation but none was given . Not even apologizing.

Berjaya need to step up the game and properly manage this.

All the stories you read here makes sense. I mean, coming from my own country, I can't even tolerate that. How can other country people tolerate it?!?!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

If your idea of a redang holiday is to relax by a whte sandy beach, then avoid this place at all cost!
1)The location is terrible, there is no significant beach to speak of. The rest of the beaches (esp Long Beach) are not accessible by foot; you need to to take a boat ride out.
2)It's not even cheap. There are a lot of hidden cost involved, as you need to pay for the transport out. Snorkeling and trekking are charged extra.
3)There are no shops, no night life, wifi wasn't working, and the ceiling creaked when the occupants in the above unit walked about. The aircon is old and noisy, and not cold at all. I don't even know why they put a TV in the room, as the reception is bad, and there is only 1 english channel.
4)The food is expensive and mediocre, and there is only 1 restaurant available.
5)The only reason why I booked this place was all the other places were fully booked. If I had known it was this terrible, I would have skipped this trip altogether.

Room Tip: Don't bother! 2nd level units will avoid creaking ceilings when people walk about. Bring your ow...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We didn't plan this holiday but since a friend had an extra set of 2 rooms, we grabbed at the opportunity of a short break. After our flights were booked - my husband and I and our 2 boys, I started to read reviews about the resort. I was very disappointed. I imagined that this trip would not be worth it. I told my older son and he said this "if you dont expect too high it shouldn't be that bad". I believed him but when the captain of Berjaya Air said that we might have to land in Terengganu instead and take the ferry to the island due to the bad haze, my heart sank. Luckily we finally landed on the island straight. That was a relief!

Yes, most of the things mentioned here in the review were right but not once we regretted our stay. When we late for breakfast, the supervisor waited for us with her team. We were embarassed that we didn't like the spread and would only have coffee. The supervisor was still smiling and served us coffee. She didn't even charge us for the coffee and the egg my younger son took because she said it was already closing time.

When we had problem with the tap in the shower room, the maintenance came almost immediately and finally moved both rooms to another building to repair the bathroom (they could have moved just one room but probably we are a family of 4 with connecting room).

Overall, with great lunch & dinner in 2 of the village restaurants with our 25 fish caught at our fishing trip (we brought them to the restaurant to be cooked various dishes), I think it was a great experience with least problems.

It is not a 5-star resort after all and objective should just be fishing and snorkeling! We don't mind going back for fishing again. I caught the biggest fish which we grilled it and so proud of it because it was my first try!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Redang Island Resort? Share your experiences!