“Awesome Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Teluk Siang | Redang Island, Pulau Redang 20190, Malaysia   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Pulau Redang
“Awesome Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A few words come to mind regarding my stay in RIR – beautiful, heaven, secluded, gem, etc. As a couple traveller, I found this hotel very accommodating and lovely for a relaxing, do nothing but sit and read on the beach. I highly recommend!

From arrival at the airport, they take you to the hotel’s, where you get a cold towel and refreshing juice. The staff were super friendly. They knew my name and were very attentive, always with a smile. I was actually surprised by the food – it was yummy.

Wildlife is all around you, since you are in the island. You will see lizards, frogs, mosquito and bugs. They are all non-threatening and contribute to the environment. If you aren’t comfortable with this, than definitely don’t travel in island.

The best island and hotel.....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked before seeing all the reviews... but we did see them before arriving so were a little prepared.

The service from the reception and massage staff was great, but we did get 'scolded' for not giving our voucher at the restaurant, even though we did each time but they just never got it right!

The most disappointing aspects was the lack of access to the beautiful beaches that are available on Redang Island

AND (the most important ;)

NO COCKTAILS SOLD at the resort! They only sell beer and then we were told they ran out of that a couple of times (we don't drink beer)!

Laguna Island Resort was recommended to us due to price and beautiful beaches ....

We stayed at The Taaras for two nights (let it be noted we were able to cancel a night of our accomodation at Redang Island Beach Resort at no cost) very expensive but it was heavenly!

Room Tip: Sea view room, same price as garden I believe
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I generally don't give a rating of poor to the resort I stayed in.

I am a very easy going person, and I've stayed in a lot of places that are basic, in the jungle, and a lot of things but this one just tops it simply by being badly managed.

1stly, the accessability is just way off. It has a small 100m 'beach' which is too rocky to swim, and it is in the middle of the villagers of Redang island. so there is no beach nearby so you're pretty much stuck in the island.

1st night was ok. but the day after, there is no water! we called to the reception and their answer was. "This is normal and standard, every morning there's no water" We have to walk to all the way to to lobby to relieve ourselves and clean ourselves up.

The 2nd night was worst. Being in the tropical forest, we thought it was raining at 3am in the morning when it sounded like the water dripping on the leaves. It sounded so soothing. But to our horror, it was "raining" in our room. The floors were all wet. We manage to sort that out in the morning. We expect some compensation but none was given . Not even apologizing.

Berjaya need to step up the game and properly manage this.

All the stories you read here makes sense. I mean, coming from my own country, I can't even tolerate that. How can other country people tolerate it?!?!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

If your idea of a redang holiday is to relax by a whte sandy beach, then avoid this place at all cost!
1)The location is terrible, there is no significant beach to speak of. The rest of the beaches (esp Long Beach) are not accessible by foot; you need to to take a boat ride out.
2)It's not even cheap. There are a lot of hidden cost involved, as you need to pay for the transport out. Snorkeling and trekking are charged extra.
3)There are no shops, no night life, wifi wasn't working, and the ceiling creaked when the occupants in the above unit walked about. The aircon is old and noisy, and not cold at all. I don't even know why they put a TV in the room, as the reception is bad, and there is only 1 english channel.
4)The food is expensive and mediocre, and there is only 1 restaurant available.
5)The only reason why I booked this place was all the other places were fully booked. If I had known it was this terrible, I would have skipped this trip altogether.

Room Tip: Don't bother! 2nd level units will avoid creaking ceilings when people walk about. Bring your ow...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We didn't plan this holiday but since a friend had an extra set of 2 rooms, we grabbed at the opportunity of a short break. After our flights were booked - my husband and I and our 2 boys, I started to read reviews about the resort. I was very disappointed. I imagined that this trip would not be worth it. I told my older son and he said this "if you dont expect too high it shouldn't be that bad". I believed him but when the captain of Berjaya Air said that we might have to land in Terengganu instead and take the ferry to the island due to the bad haze, my heart sank. Luckily we finally landed on the island straight. That was a relief!

Yes, most of the things mentioned here in the review were right but not once we regretted our stay. When we late for breakfast, the supervisor waited for us with her team. We were embarassed that we didn't like the spread and would only have coffee. The supervisor was still smiling and served us coffee. She didn't even charge us for the coffee and the egg my younger son took because she said it was already closing time.

When we had problem with the tap in the shower room, the maintenance came almost immediately and finally moved both rooms to another building to repair the bathroom (they could have moved just one room but probably we are a family of 4 with connecting room).

Overall, with great lunch & dinner in 2 of the village restaurants with our 25 fish caught at our fishing trip (we brought them to the restaurant to be cooked various dishes), I think it was a great experience with least problems.

It is not a 5-star resort after all and objective should just be fishing and snorkeling! We don't mind going back for fishing again. I caught the biggest fish which we grilled it and so proud of it because it was my first try!

• Stayed June 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked this resort under BVC, when I first arrived at the lobby i tried to find where is the beach! We had to climb down the stairs and was super disappointed to see the small stretch of beach which is not suitable to swim. I was totally heart broken, what is it to stay at redang without a beach. The resort is situated at an isolated side, if you want to get groceries you need the hotel staff to send us out to the nearby village. What kinda pissed me off is that the receptionist didn't tell us they actually offer van service to send us to the village until i saw it on facebook. They actually ask us to take the taxi service which need to be pay. The room is a wooden cottage and is abit lack of maintenance. I hope they do check their room first before letting their guest to stay in it. For people that would like to stay isolated this might be the place, it comes with swimming pool, open fitness centre, and massage. However, i would never go back.

Room Tip: Seaview room would be better
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had my first visit to redang island on 29 June 2013. I been to this Redang Island Resort. The price wasn't costly still affordable. After i booked my friends says you should read the comments in tripadvisor. After reading it i was like oh my goodness! There goes my beach and sunshine. Arrived there with Berjaya Air. The landing was horrifying but the gentleman sit next to me says it's normal as the track is short so they have to land in a such way. Ok fine and still pray everything gone be good, not to say best but i pray for better.The resort picked me and my friend up and within 5 min we reached the resort.

First impression wasn't that bad on how it looks like. (not as scary as mentioned in here). Friendly receptionist attended our check in process, have to wait some time to get into the room as we were there early. we walked around the lobby, looked around, not bad (i say to myself) beautiful swimming pool, peep at the cafe, food looks nice and delicious. We got our room and it was a seaview room. I would say superb view.

We then went for snorkeling, friendly "captain" tells us a lot about the stops we went. Back to the resort, OH MY GOD!! No water supply!! When we were at the reception we overheard the reception talking over the phone saying that their person in charge there is going up the hill to pump water for us. We was like, if a manager would take the effort to find water for us, what more we want to complain. It's the government that didnt not inform earlier on the cutting off water supply.

I had never encounter a person in high position would take the hard effort to fo the pumping job. I found out later that he was the GM there. If i had a chance to meet him i would salute him. He is the MAN that manages the resort even in a tough condition. I asked more after i heard that and they says that the spot that they used to pump water when there is no supply,has dried up. He had to climb 1km up the slope to get another source of water, connecting the water hose or paip to get water to the resort.

Overall just the water spoil a bit of my holiday but the effort compensated my loss. I still hope people out there will try to have a stay. On my way back waiting for my plane, i chat with a couple sitting next to me. I asked them where they stay and surprisingly we stay at the same resort and they told me it was a nice place and great holiday despite no water.

*Highly recommended to those that wanted a quiet environment, not to noisy or too happening.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Redang Island Resort? Share your experiences!