“The nicer rooms of Long Beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Matahari Chalet

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Matahari Chalet
You added Matahari Chalet to your Saves list
Long Beach, Pulau Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia   |
Brighton, United Kingdom
“The nicer rooms of Long Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

First, you don't get much for your money on long beach but when you're in paradise, who cares? Matahari offer a variety of rooms from very basic huts to Air Con rooms in a newer development (this is where we stayed). They fill up very quick so get there early in the morning - we came downstairs numerous
Mornings to find
People without accommodation on long beach as the weekend approached.
The air con rooms are still basic for the 160RM you pay a night but they're the best you'll get! The rooms were cleaned every 2 days and there are brooms everywhere so you can control the sand
In your room :)
The staff are really friendly here , D in particular. He occasionally takes guests for walks around the island and took us fishing the local way on Romantic Beach (well worth a walk/ kayak to!). He didn't charge and showed us so many things that really make your stay a hundred times better .
You do have to walk over a "swamp" full of local rubbish and it's a bit smelly but nothing troublesome and it's a great spot for seeing a couple of monitor lizards - the locals need to stop pouring rubbish in though,
I was angry to see a local worker (not Matahari) emptying his business waste there :(
Long beach is definitely the place to be on Kecil and Matahari is a
Good bet (shared toilets are exempt ;) they looked really dirty).

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in a fan room. Was good value for money, nice rooms. Then stayed 3 nights in air con room with diving package. The room was nice and elektricity was working more hours then stated, so that was positive. The diving is very professional, those instructors are always happy and very patient. Really nice to start diving with them. Would recommend this place if u search for diving!

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed five nights at Matahari. As there is limited electricity on the island, you cannot expect light, airco rooms everywhere so that's not what you will find. The room was dark, humid and not exactly new, but clean, with fan and mosquitonet and spacious. Some of the staff members speak good English, others are hard to understand. The dive school is absolutely great!

• Stayed June 2013
Ko Tao, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent about a week doing fundives with Matahari. They were all very nice and welcoming. They go out for fundives 3 times per day: 9, 12 and 3 o'clock with little speedboats. After each dive the boats are coming back to the shop, so you're really flexible with choosing your dives. I had a really great time with them, thanks to Isma, Dee and Sam for the hospitality! And special thanks to Sofia for the amazing dives I had with her!
Just a few words about the room: I had a basic, but nice and clean room. When you check in they tell you when you'll have electricity (cause it's not all day long).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Laragne-Monteglin, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at Matahari in an air conditioned room (in the main block) but without the air con (to get a cheaper rate) for eight nights. The room was great, a good size and with everything you need at budget level. Power was on most of the time and a ceiling fan kept the room cool at night.

I opted to keep the air con unit off and paid 100 per day as opposed to up to 160. This would have been perfect, however the room was poorly ventilated and became very hot and damp. All my clothes felt damp and I couldn't get anything dry after being on the beach. Fine for a couple of days but a bit frustrating after eight nights! There was a window but I didn't want to leave it open during the day and of course at night I wanted to keep all the mosquitos out, so opening it wasn't an option.

Wifi was available in the reception area. I didn't try the restaurant or the dive shop - I went to other places for these.

I think Matahari is one of the better places to stay on Long Beach, if you can get into the main block. I heard the wooden stand alone chalets aren't great - loud noise from the generator all night keeps people awake. Accommodation on Long Beach in general is quite expensive for what you get, having looked at several places, the value at Matahari was better than most.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

we stayed in the longhouse(?) and payed RM60/night. The room was big, and reasonably clean.
lots of mosquitoes (everywhere on the island though of course) The big plus was the diving company, Matt took his open water there and had a great experience, Thanks to Warda! We then dived with them every other day during our stay! Every dive was a great experience thanks to the dive instructors/DM Warda, Heidi, Inka and Davies, also thanks to Sam "the shopgirl" who always were really friendly and helpful!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Saratoga, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Due to the holiday weekend, Matahari Chalets were completely booked. I was unable to stay there, but was lucky enough to do a few dives with them. What stood out to me were their organization, customer service, knowledge, safety, and overall friendliness. I've done a lot of diving around the SE Asian region and Matahari is one of the best outfitters I've experienced. The overall atmosphere was fun and open. Many people were taking dive courses and the staff was genuinely into teaching. I did some open water fun dives at D'Lagoon and Temple of the Sea. We saw lots of neat underwater life and I especially liked Temple of the Sea. I guess that site is the best one in the Perhentians. After the dives my guides stuck around and went through the fish book with me. We could identify all the animals I saw. I appreciated that extra time they took.

Room Tip: Dive at Temple of the Sea!