“All about the view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rock Garden Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Rock Garden Village
Long Beach (Pasir Panjang), Pulau Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“All about the view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

After escaping the Tropicanna we moved to D Rock Garden Village and checked in for 2 nights. We ended up staying 5.
Firstly, let me repeat my usual mantra of "you get what you pay for". For 120 RM in peak season ($33 AUD) the room is basic: double bed, fan and a cold shower in the bathroom. However what makes this place is that each cabin has a good size balcony with a fabulous view of the ocean down across the beach. Great to wake up to and to escape the sun and chill out to.
The location on top of the hill imposes a much needed work out after a day lying on the beach.
Doesn't take bookings but you should have no trouble if you go first thing in the morning.

• Stayed August 2012

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Johor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Located at the happening Long Beach, Pulau Perhentian,but you have to wak all the way up to the hill in order to reach your room. It is tiring especially for divers who have done the whole day diving.

The wall-attached fan sometimes not working. No hot water.

Air-con room is more than 150MYR. Room without air-con is about 40-100MYR.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

After I read a few of the reviews, I was kind of dreading staying there (the dive shop had booked it for me), but I cheered up when I saw that lots of other people were staying there.

Yes, it's on the hill, so there are stairs, but is that really so terrible? It's a journey you would need to make once or twice a day, so for me it wasn't a problem at all.

The guy who checked me in was definitely rude, and was completely disinterested in the task. Maybe because I was paying the dive shop and not him, and so got a better rate than what he was advertising? I don't know. But he gave me my key, and I went on my way.

I was in chalet 15; a standard ensuite chalet with fan. It was a sweatbox when I got in at midday, but with the balcony door open and the fan on, it was really quite pleasant. The bathroom door didn't shut; fine for me as I was traveling alone but maybe others would find that annoying. I think there was a bit of a smell when I first got to the room, but once I aired it out, it smelled fine. The toilet worked, the shower had good (cold) water pressure, and it was clean enough. The pillows were HORRENDOUS. Quite possibly the worst pillows I have ever experienced - lumpy, yet also rock hard. However, sleep wasn't awful - I got a mosquito coil, and put it in the doorway to the balcony, which I left open. The sea breeze was awesome. The view from the balcony is incredible - totally worth the "hike" to the hut and the guy's bad manners.

So, yeah. It's a backpacker hotel, so don't expect anything super fancy. I went there expecting it to be frightful, but left quite pleased overall, except for the pillows.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Got more then 130 bites from bedbugs. Stayed in chalet C5. When you want to stay here, please check the bed for bedbugs. Nice view, but the bites are nasty.
When we told the staff about the bedbugs he didn't seem to care. So i don't think they will 'unbug' the room.
My advise, don't go there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I use to stay there every year. No expectations other than going back to 2 basic as far as you can imagine. The people running the place are very friendly, and you should definitely chat with them in the morning over a cup of coffee. Suddenly, life as you know it stops in this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Me and my friends stayed here for 4-5 nights. It's a bloody long hike up to your chalet's though... I quite like it since is quiet at night. There's a beach disco that goes on almost every night, so we appreciate the quietness that you get up in the chalet.

Accommodation is basic. We had the fan room, but we had our own small bathroom which was sufficient for us. We had 2 single bed, and I added a mattress since there were 3 of us. slept with the sliding door open all the time, and the wind from outside helps cool the chalet a bit. The room gets hot pretty quickly once the sun rises, so we spent all day outside. I mean...who'd go to a Island and stay cooped up in the room right? ;)

Service wise, well, we didn't need much from the reception... We got the mattress the same day we asked for it. I really didn't care if he was unfriendly. I think we met the owners who were a couple of really nice people. Since we were here on package with one of the dive centres, we paid RM 70 per night, per room, which was, for me, value for money.

Food at the restaurant isn't that good. You could get better food elsewhere. Our favs were Oh Lala and Panorama which were towards the middle of Long Beach stretch.

I do not recommend this place for people with kids, huge luggage, or just generally unfit (like me) because you're gonna have a heck of a time climbing up the stairs. However, it did not put a dent on my holiday. Long beach is really awesome!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

I went blindly, and followed some random guy's suggestion (saying he shopped around the day before, n rock gardens is the best place) he was probably an agent who gets commission, now that I think about it. The hike up to reception (especially carrying luggage) is horrendous. All the cheap rooms were "full" so he offered me a fan chalet for 100rm. TOTAL RIP OFF!! And I had to hike ANOTHER million stairs to the room.

The room was filthy, had bird poop and huge trail of ants in bathroom, which was proof it hadnt been cleaned in awhile. The sheets had stains on them. Only clean thing was the towel. And The view was quite beautiful. The sliding door was broken, so had to get someone to fix it. Poor management, staff, cleaning crew. I don't know HOW anyone can stay here longer than a day.

After dropping my things off, I went shopping for other places. And there were A/C rms for 40 rm!! I walked a bit more on trail towards coral bay and half-way there (5 min walk) I found an awesome place "TROPICANA" Inn(?) 15 rm/night for dorm room with fan! Cold showers, but it's hot anyway! 8-10 beds per room. Mattress was thick n clean, TWO bathrooms, free wifi (at lobby) super friendly staff, along with super cool dorm mates. I booked right away n enjoyed every moment. if u pay 150 rm or so u can get a super nice hotel-like private room with hot shower.

Bottom line, rock gardens is a complete rip-off with low-quality rooms. I would never ever go there again or recommend even to my enemies.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Rock Garden Village? Share your experiences!