“Great place to learn diving!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Specialty Shops
Attraction Details
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“Great place to learn diving!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

In april we went to Perhentian Besar to relax and maybe dive. I was a bit nervous about diving but when we walked into Universal Divers I just had a good feeling about it. We met Jana and Marek and they assured me I had nothing to be scared of.. (sharks..?) :)
Jana convinced my boyfriend to do the rescue diving course as he was allready an advanced diver. The next day I started my padi open water course with just one buddy (11 year old Caleb) because we we're still in the quiet season. We had a great time! They are very nice responsible teachers and also in for a fun time. For me it was a great first diving experience, saw lots of beautiful stuff, even 2 sharks at the last day (I didn't want to see them first but it was very cool!).
My boyfriend really enjoyed the rescue diving course with his buddy Jerry (who looked like Jacky Chan). The equipment and everything was very good. Only thing I didn't like was the massive jelly fish rash I got, so next time a long wetsuit for me... Thank you so much Universal divers, for this great experience, especially Jana and Marek! See you next time!

Visited April 2012

Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“Friendly and fun dive centre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just got back from a trip to the Perhentian Islands and the highlight was definitely the 3 dives with Universal Diver.

The staff are very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly, and the location could not be better. The dive sites were beautiful and unspoilt, and I had the rare chance to see a Napoleon fish. Each dive was very different due to the changing visibility, current and underwater life in the area.

Although I am a qualified diver my boyfriend and friend who accompanied me to the islands are not. They chose to do the Padi Discover Diver course and both loved it and could not rate their instructor highly enough. She was able to ease their nerves and patiently support their first "steps" underwater.

Highly recommended dive centre for both experienced and beginner divers. Thank you for some great dives!

Visited September 2012
Sydney
8 attraction reviews
“Diving with the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The staff at Universal Diver provided a blue ribbon diving experience in a beautiful unspoiled environment. The dives were inexpensive, the water temperature divine and the marine life abundant. Best of all was the level of care provided by the dive team. For beginners, the learn to dive pool at Perhentian Besar is the beach! No need to spend time in a nasty chlorinated pool! The instructors really helped me develop confidence as a diver even though I had already attained my open water certificate in Australia. The other divers also made made the whole experience fun, as we shared dinner, drinks and held a party on the upper deck of UD for one of our dive buddies. I look forward to going back to do my advanced certificate.

Visited July 2012
Vaxjo, Sweden
“Great dive center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I did 12 dives with UD. Very good dive center: friendly, skilled and helpful staff, good quality rental equipment, very good boats.

Diving in Perhentians is relatively easy and suits to beginners as well as more experienced divers. Dive sites are close and easy to access. Sea life is abundant. Visibility and currents might be an issue at times but no major problems.

Highly recommended!

Visited July 2012
Melbourne
12 attraction reviews
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I did 14 dives with Universal Diver while at Perhentians. Diving in Perhentian is easy, little currents both under and on surface. The dive operator conducts usually 3 single dives at different times of the day and sometimes 2-dive trips. I prefer the 2-dive trips because I do not have to remove my wetsuit after the first dive. On days where I did 3 single dives, I find myself changing into wetsuits 3 times. The dive guides, especially Ali, are knowledgeable about the sites. What surprises me was the incredible amount of nudibranches in Perhentians. There are however not many big fishes; the snappers and barracudas are mostly juveniles. My favourite dive sites are Tokong Laut, Batu Layar and Sugar Wreck. I left my equipment in the care of the shop and everything was good. Note that it can get crowded on Sat, Sun because many Malaysians come here.

Visited June 2012