“Varied, but overall good stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Cocohut & Cozy Chalets

and 1 more site!
You added New Cocohut & Cozy Chalets to your Saves list
New Cocohut & Cozy Chalets
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   No 102 - 103, Jalan Besar, Pulau Perhentian Besar 22300, Malaysia   |
Sydney, Australia
“Varied, but overall good stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We had a chalet at the top of the crumbling stairs looking through the trees across to Perhentian Kecil. It's a good view, and you can see out but no one can see in. Great balcony for watching sunsets on comfortable wicker chairs.

Huge bed, clean white sheets. Bathroom is typical of islands in the region i.e. utilitarian, but that will do. You don't come here to lay in a bath.

The food at the restaurant is great, and so is the service. The manager (whom I assume is the manager - a smiley lady in cat-eyeliner) is so cheerful and helpful. There is one receptionist who I notice has been mentioned a few times on TripAdvisor. Look, I don't think everyone should have to be cheerful and friendly all of the time. We all have our reasons for being the way we are. But if you work in customer service, it's your job not to be a dour, sour-faced, combative, rude piece of work. So do your job. Over a few days I saw people walk away from her looking really upset. I dreaded having to interact with her when signing for bills etc. Perhaps management should consider moving her to a behind the scenes role. She's the worst thing about the place.

They don't service the rooms. The towels are thin and frayed. Probably would expect a bit more considering the price - at Abdul's down the beach the give bath and beach towels to guests.

The interior is a bit dated but I liked it in a way - kind of masculine, like a hunting lodge with all that dark wood panelling. But the lighting is unflattering and doesn't set a nice mood.

All this said, if you don't go in expecting luxury, and use it as a simple hut base for exploring these beautiful islands, you will like it. Then again, at this price, you probably should expect more luxurious digs.

Stayed March 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Haslemere
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We have been totally duped by this Cozy Chalet. We arrived Sun 2nd March, and were presented with a building site with loads of banging and rubbish strewn round the place. We had carted our bags the length of the beech and could not find reception - there were no signs just a building site. We eventually found someone who told us to go to the restaurant opposite, and found a rather unhelpful receptionist.

The photos on their web site give no indication of the changes going on and the building. The photos of the front are just a lie. The stairs to the left have fallen down, so I dont know how you even get up there!

WE cancelled and spent a bot more at Tuna Bay - which is loveley. We booked with Booking .com and will see if we get our money back as they appear to have talen it all. It was on a credit card so I expect we shall be able with photographic evidence to get our money back.

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE until they have finished building.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I wouldn't call it a five star hotel but we had all the basic amenities we (7 friends and I) needed were not disappointed by the snorkeling packages. What we were most impressed by was the food. We had read on several websites that they had a best food in the whole island and though we had our reservations, the food served on the first day was really delicious and they did not disappoint every meal after. We did not get a sea view room and opted for a garden view room instead. They placed us at some of the highest chalets on the hill and we had to walk flights of stairs every day so that would not be so convenient for older people or those who don't have the stomach for a night safari every night after dinner going back to your room. The beach was lovely and the view was amazing as most of the islands off the east coast are. The one thing I was truly disappointed by was the receptionist who had a grumpy look throughout my stay and was not helpful at all. The others were very friendly. Just the ONE receptionist, if not their service would have been rated 5 stars too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Luxury it is not, but the location can't be beat. The adjoining cafe/restaurant provides good food at very low prices and the staff were very friendly. The rooms are clean and basic, and the decks in each chalet have great views. I stayed up the hill - some people have commented that this was problematic but I didn't think this was a problem - if you find walking up some stairs a problem then maybe you need to walk up stairs more often! I entered swimming pool by mistake below and couldn't undo it on the iPad - there is no pool but a great beach.

Room Tip: The lower rooms open right onto the beach, but the rooms up the hill have better views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We took 3D2N full board package and stayed in garden view quad sharing room.
The staffs are really nice and helpful. They great us with warm smile at the first glance. One of the guide also brings us to see "blue sand" and "sotong" at night time.
The room is clean and comfortable, with aircon, hot shower, fridge and etc. There is convenient shop beside their restaurant.
The food provided is very nice! fresh seafood.. with big portion... i really love it! I will suggest you to take a full board package so that you wont have to worry about the food. You can also take water taxi to the small island opposite (where villagers especially teacher's family stayed) at evening time to buy food. The food there is much more cheaper.
For those who like to snorkeling, It is 5 minutes walking distance to marine park, where you can see a lot of fishes...
Overall i really enjoy this trip and I will sure support New Cocohut again in the future...

Room Tip: Do not choose coxy challet if you don like to climb 180 stairs just to reach your room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at at Cocohut chalets for 3 nights. We booked a garden view room which was about £44 per night. We contemplated booking a sea view room but when we arrived the garden view room was one row behind the sea view rooms and so we were right on the beach anyway.

The chalets have their own little private beach which was nice but the view across the bay faced Palau Perhentian Kecil island. If you were to stay further down the beach then your view would be uninterrupted.

Staff are friendly albeit service was sometimes laid back. However, travelling around Malaysia it seems to be that way everywhere. The food at the restaurant was really good and we ate there everyday. The BBQ in the evening was excellent - fresh fish of the day, squid, prawns and chicken.

Our stay on the island was quiet, relaxing and a good start to our 6 week trip!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

First of all, their customer service (if you can call it like this) is terrible. I sent 3 emails but never got an answer (I just wanted to confirm my reservation). I then called their office, and I had to call 3 more times and just to know of everything was fine with my booking! How can this be so difficult?! In their office in Kuala Besut they have 4 women working there and when we passed by the office they didn't seem to do a lot...so how can it be so difficult to answer some simple emails (and I am not the only one complaining about this).

The room was basic, nothing special. It was clean when we got it. Shower worked well. It had a small fridge and aircon (though it didn't work that well). We stayed in one of the garden chalets. It is a shame they built so many of them: now you have a garden (if again you can call it like this) so crowded, that you barely have space in between them.

You will get one towel and you can change it everyday if you want. Your room will never be cleaned during your stay, only after check-out.

The restaurant had a BBQ every night and the food was good and prices really fair, so I would definitely recommend the restaurant, even though, service is slow and the waiters seemed to be quite often completely lost. Some of the staff was really friendly, others never even smile (especially at the reception).

The beaches in front of New Cocohut is nice but you have nicer and calmer beaches just 5 min away. They have around 20 sun beds but around 15 of them are broken...It might be so difficult and demanding to change them....

For the price you pay you could expect something a bit better...it was just average not bad nor good...

Would I recommend this place? I would recommend to try first Abul's chalets or Tunabay. If both are full (they get fully booked quite early, book in advance), then you can have a try at New Cocohut, since it is really worth staying in Pulau Besar! I would recommend it over Kecil.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to New Cocohut & Cozy Chalets? Share your experiences!