“breathtaking view” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pulau Lang Tengah, Malaysia   |
kl
“breathtaking view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

I just got back from the resort. Excellent service, friendly staff, beautiful resort, breathtaking views, peace, calm, serenity.. We stayed at the cabana right on the beach front.

The room was spacious, air-conditioned and clean complete with minibar and constantly replenished coffee and tea making facilities. The en-suite bathroom featured heated shower, 'his n her' sinks and a private outdoor bathtub just as you enter the suite. As we walked through the suite, the balcony unveiled the spectacular view of the beach horizon with cool sea breeze blowing under the shade of abundant coconut trees.

Snorkeling trips by boat were arranged by the resort and left at 5 pm daily from the dive shop located at the reception. we were brought to the well preserved snorkeling sites around the island. U can even snorkel from resort beach.

I've been to many island resorts off the coast of terengganu, so far this is the best.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
kuala lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

we stayed in the west wing which has a very nice seaview from all rooms, a very nice beach and a very nice pool. the snorkeling is fantastic only 5meters from the beach and very easy for small kids, just be careful to wear shoes !
the rooms and food are very basic and not worth the rate but we spent all our time snorkeling or on the beach ! i would recommend this hotel if you go to lang tengah, though there are only one or two other resorts open (at least two are definitively closed...), which seem to be simpler again, with no pool.

• Liked — the location, the beach
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

My partner and I stayed at this resort on the island of Lang Tengah for 3 nights in mid-September 2008. The resort has two sides – an East and a West wing. Although the surroundings were lovely, we do not think that we will return, as the bad points of this resort outweigh the good.

Observations/recommendations:

The West wing is the nicer of the 2 wings, with a lovely infinity pool and newer rooms. We stayed in an “Executive Deluxe” room. How they came up with such a name is anyone’s guess, as the room was more basic than your average motel room. And this was not even the standard room!

I would only recommend taking the half-board option, as the buffet provided is very small. I think it is better to have dinner each night by ordering from the ala carte menu, which is very reasonably priced.

If you have a phobia of reptiles, this is not the place for you, as encounters with massive iguanas are a regular occurrence. They are, however, terrified of humans and will run away when they see you. I myself liked observing these strange creatures.
Overall, I do not recommend this resort, mostly because it is massively overpriced, and is really a 2-star resort charging 4-star rates. You just feel a bit like you are getting cheated. I think it would be better to stay at one of the other resorts on the island, which does not pretend to be anything more than modest accommodation. Modest accommodation is fine, as long as its modesty is reflected in its price. I just don’t like feeling like I have been ripped off. We will not be returning to this resort, and I caution anyone who is planning on staying here to not expect much at all.

This is a shame, because this resort has the potential to be great, with its lovely, quiet and private location. All the rooms need upgrading (furniture, air-conditioning, etc), all the linen needs to be replaced, staff need training on how to clean the bathrooms – if the current price that is being charged can expect to be maintained. In its current state, it is only worth half of what guests are charged.

The good points:

1. The natural setting of the resort. I liked seeing the squirrels, iguanas, lizards, birds, etc.

2. The pool and decking of the West wing is really lovely and picturesque, overlooking the bay.

3. The food in the restaurant of the West wing that we ordered from the ala carte menu was really delicious, very cheap and promptly served.

4. The snorkelling trip I went on was pretty good (but this snorkelling can be accessed if you stay at any resort on the island). This snorkelling trip pales in significance to the snorkelling my partner and I enjoyed in the Perhentian islands, though.

5. The snorkelling off the beach was average.

The bad points

1. The whole place had a weird vibe. I am not sure why. There was something not right. It may have had something to do with the fact that it was nearing the end of the season and it was as if some of the staff’s hospitality had expired. Some staff behaved as if we, as guests, were an inconvenience to them. The manager that checked us in was cold and disinterested.

2. The accommodation is completely over-priced, for what you receive. It really is a complete and utter shake-down. The bath towels and hand towels were stained and threadbare. The rugs on the floor were dirty and stained. The bed was uncomfortable and the linen smelled musty. The bathroom was quite foul, with the tiles, tile grouting and shower curtain being covered in orangey-pinkish mould. I felt dirty as soon as I entered the bathroom. It was clear that the bathroom had not been properly cleaned for many, many months. The lighting in the room was poor. The power-point did not work in the bathroom. The air-conditioning barely worked and there was no ceiling fan. The room was not very cool at all. For 530MR, even with breakfast and lunch included, this was too much.

3. There was only about half a dozen or so other guests staying in the West wing, with many of the rooms being vacant. We were allocated a room on the ground floor when all the rooms above us on the top floor were vacant. It is always nicer to stay on the upper level than the ground level. I don’t know why we were put in this room. In hindsight, we should have requested to change rooms straight away, but we decided not to make a fuss. Then, the next day, some people checked in and were given the room directly above us! It seems poor that we were not given a room on the top floor, when they were all available at the time we checked-in. We could hear a lot of noise from upstairs, which was really unpleasant. It shows that the management do not consider the comfort of the guests, as there were so many other rooms that these new guests could have been allocated.

4. To get a boat to the Perhentian islands, we were charged a 450MR – which is a complete shake-down for a 40 minute boat trip.

5. The beach has a lot of coral on it, and swimming in the ocean is not too pleasant at anything except for high tide.

6. We asked to use the resort’s internet service and were advised that the “signal was lost 3 months ago”. No mention of whether any efforts were being made to restore this service.

7. It seemed that the manager attempted to deliberately over-charge us. Because we were taking the over-priced boat to the Perhentian islands , the manager advised us that we could have a refund for one leg of our transfers. Also, my partner and I booked a place on the snorkelling trip, but only I went on the trip as my partner was not well, and the manager was advised of this. On check-out, I told my partner to check that these items were adjusted on our final bill. And sure enough, the manager had conveniently forgotten to make the adjustments. When my partner queried this, it was clear that he was just “trying it on” to charge us for these extra components; it smacked of dishonesty.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

My husband and I had a lovely 5-day stay at this hotel. I'd been to Lang Tengah to dive many times and stayed at the lower end Square Point Resort (now Lang Sari). Unfortunately, under new management, that resort has declined.

D'Coconut was generally a great experience, though. We stayed at the Executive Deluxe section of the newer West Wing and asked for the upstairs corner room, which had a view of the forest in the back as well as a tiny view of the beach.

Other than the poorly-designed curtain railing over the door, which kept coming off, the room and hotel facilities were good. We had decent meals at the breezy, beautifully-designed restaurant, where we spent most of our time reading and enjoying the scenery. Best of all, the service was excellent.

The downsides: there is only one snorkelling boat trip a day; they do pack in the snorkellers on those trips and don't give adequate briefings about sites (so ask); those allergic to sandflies will have a hard time (so bring insect repellant)

• Liked — Executive deluxe room is spacious and quiet
  • Disliked — Inadeqaute service in snorkelling guiding
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

D'Coconut Lagoon Resort portrays itself as a boutique hotel with cheaper standard room options. That is, in my opinion, rather misleading as I would call it a 2-3 star resort with deluxe room options. The personnel are very friendly and the pools are lovely but the run-down character of the rooms, the general lack of cleanliness and the below par quality of service doesn't warrant a grander title.

That said, Lang Tengah island is a real gem. It is a picture perfect tropical island with white sandy beaches, crystal clear aquamarine water, swaying palms and a truly stunning underwater life. In relation to its bigger neighbours, Perhentian and Redang islands, Lang Tengah is secluded and free of the masses, giving it a very private feel. The dive centre at the resort rents snorkel and dive gear (they also provide diving lessons and snorkel trips) - snorkelling/diving is an absolute must-do. Just a few meters off the beach lie some beautiful corals and a rich diversity of colourful fish, as well as squid and yes, black tip sharks (check out the submerged rocks off the east wing beach - guaranteed shark sightings just ten meters from the beach). I saw several baby sharks and one that was about two meters in length). I can also recommend the corals, teeming with thousands of fish just off the Blue Coral beach. Truly breathtaking.

If you accept the resort's shortcomings for what they are, you will not be disappointed. The island's charm is just captivating. Choose a superior or deluxe option. The standard rooms were too spartan for my taste (but great for backpackers) and the value for money on the cabanas is way off mark (a rainshower and an outdoor tub sound fab but the former only trickled water and the latter looked too dirty to have a bath in). In addition, if you can, go for the full board package. The buffets (there are Asian and Western options) are simple but tasty. The availability of items on the la carte menu varies a lot. On the bright side, food and drinks are reasonably priced... and ask for a frozen beer glass if you order a beer (just heavenly!).

I would recommend this island to all my friends (the nature is stunning and it's totally relaxing) and since D'Coconut Lagoon is just about the best resort on this tiny island, I would recommend a stay there too... with one big footnote: don't expect too much.

• Liked — The location just meters from the gorgeous beaches
  • Disliked — The run-down character of the rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We arrived by boat on the beautifal island, just like a bounty advert! The beach is amazing here clear waters and great for snorkalling we even saw Sharks!! We were the only people on the beach. The Hotel is split in 2 halves east and west. The Western side served more western food and the breakfast was great I liked the fact we could eat in both. The Views, Beach and Hotel all amazing defo go back again. This is the best Hotel on the Island and the standard of rooms was good. If you opt for standard expect it , no balcony I would always upgrade to the next level if possible!!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

Just back from 3 nights on Lang Tengah and we all wish we were still there! We went there with my sister's family- their first time in Malaysia - and they thought they were in paradise.
What a setting! Amazing empty beaches, a lovely touch walking between the wings it felt like you were visiting 2 exclusive resorts. Very good snorkelling - some big and little sharks too. There were lots of stingy things (sea lice I think) in the water around the rocks on a couple of days but lots of beautiful fish and turtle bay and blue rock have great coral. Really good pools too with excellent cocktails made by Sammi in the west wing bar.
Nice clean spacious rooms - basic but the most spacious rooms we stayed in for families and each child had a comfy bed (some places we stayed they had to share a single bed or share with us). Bathrooms are a bit tired but adequate. Food was really good (we opted for the full board option) and lots of it. We never missed out on food because it was replenished quickly and often. Healthy food too with lots of veggies and salad and good Chinese food and pasta.
True you have to pay extra for canned drinks and wine etc but very reasonable prices for an island resort. (And you can take your own booze for a modest corkage - though I don't think anybody checks or charges!) Great public areas and balconies to hang out in the evening.
Staff were helpful and friendly and unobtrusive so we felt like it was our own island.
Would definitely recommend this over Perhentian and Redang for seclusion, prviacy and peace although it is more expensive than Perhentian and some Redang resorts. For a really private island feeling with great snorkelling it's hard to beat.

• Liked — Amazing setting and lovely swimming pools.
  • Disliked — Bathrooms. They should get rid of the baths (who's going to use them anyway!) and clean showers.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to D'Coconut Lagoon? Share your experiences!