Although this is primarily a dive resort, we found plenty to do without diving. We snorkelled, swam, bird watched, wandered round the island and got involved in all the turtle activity. This was a wonderful place for turtles, with a hawksbill turtle laying her eggs on the beach one day and baby green turtles hatching the next. We could also see turtles in the sea and the babies would swim in the shallow waters round the restaurant, along with baby sharks and other nursery fish, in the evenings. The resort itself is lovely, the food is excellent and the rooms airy and comfy. You can walk straight out of your chalet into the sea. We went on a snorkelling trip which was good and saw quite a few different bird species on the island, including nicobar pigeons and sunbirds. A very relaxing and beautiful place, recommended for wildlife enthusiasts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia