“Worth the money!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Sandakan
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Worth the money!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We booked the Sabah hotel to recuperate after a real "roughing" it experience on the Kinabatangan River safari, plus it was also my partners' 21st birthday during this time. Initially we were a little dissapointed as the reception staff tried to put us into a twin deluxe room instead of a double deluxe room as we had booked. However, they quickly rectified the issue and allowed us to stay in a huge double room, despite this room not having pool and jungle views as is guarenteed by paying for a deluxe room it had a lounge area and large flat screen TV so we were happy! The buffet breakfast was really nice but be sure to get there early or most stuff is gone or cold. The pool was also really nice however, the jacuzzi had far too much undissolved chlorine salts in it. One piece of advice though would be to maybe house the sunbeds somewhere over night, all of them had a lot of large ants on them! For my partners' birthday they brought him a birthday cake - a really nice touch! The staff were very very friendly and helpful and the rooms were very comfortable. Unfortunately the restaurant was expensive and out of our price range so we ate in Sandakan instead. Altogether a nice stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacqueline C, Acting Senior Sales Manager at Sabah Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Ms Amy

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with us.

We are very happy that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Sabah Hotel in the Nature City of Sabah, Malaysian Borneo in the very near future.

Acting Senior Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I've visited a great number of places in Malaysia and Sabah - I'm half Malaysian so there aren't many places I haven't visited and I've had so many different hotel experiences across the country. When I first started visiting Sandakan about 7 years ago - my first visit in order to see the Orangutans and my parents became attached to Sandakan - the hotel was the best available (the Four Points hadn't been started) but now I'm afraid it is in need of modernising. But don't get me wrong, this hotel is absolutely excellent value for money. It is miles above that of a hostel, particularly in the Far East, but it will not break the bank by any means! You will have a great stay here, it is comfortable and pleasant, in a great location and in a fabulous place!

The rooms are a great size, very spacious and comfortable and the outdoor area is also of a vast size. The pool could also do with a bit of modernisation to make it feel a bit more luxurious - I understand it doesn't pretend to be 5 stars but in order to compete with the new hotel in town, something need to be done.

I have previously had room service and lunch in the lobby cafe, both of which could not be faulted. Breakfast is typical of a Malaysian hotel, and the staff are excellent and incredibly friendly! I once stayed during an International Buffet Evening, I am not a fan of buffets at all so for me it left a lot to be desired.

Previously I have made use of the spa facilities, along with the gym and of course the swimming pool. They cannot be faulted for value for money at all, and are well worth using whilst you are there!

I've just seen in another review the comment about the bedside consoles that house lighting, radio and television controls - these would not be the same if everything was to actually work, and fortunately a couple always do not! Although not to my taste, they are truly representative of the hotel in its current state - a reminder of the beginning of proper tourism in Malaysia and what was the very best at the time!

Overall I enjoy staying at the hotel, I just feel it needs a refurb now. So much could be done with the hotel, it's got a great site and footprint with so much potential. I hope at some point this will be done as it would be a shame for anything bad to happen to the hotel, but knowing Malaysia as I do I'm not sure!

A tip for a visit to Sandakan: on the road across from the market is a great 'Kopitiam' where you will get excellent Kari Ikan and Ayam along with my absolute favourite Roti Canai! And if you're Western and you've had enough a little of the same food, the English Tea House makes amazing homemade crumpets and scones! But most importantly, do not visit this hotel, or Sandakan, and not visit Ocean King seafood restaurant!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view, you get a great view of Borneo this way!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

This comfortable hotel is dated, but renovations are planned according to other reviews. We were upgraded on arrival, our room was spacious and clean. The pool is lovely but again the surroundings are shabby.
We ate breakfast & a barbecue dinner here, I have to say the food was amazing in its variety and very plentiful. All of the staff were without exception pleasant & helpful, they kindly kept our bags overnight whilst we visited turtle island. Could do with extra staff available to man the reception desk at busy times. Thanks for a lovely stay

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Jacqueline C, Acting Senior Sales Manager at Sabah Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Heathernurse,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us.

We are very glad that you have enjoyed your stay at Sabah Hotel in the Nature City of Sandakan.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed here with my wife and two daughters (8 & 11yrs). We booked two adjoining rooms which proved to be an excellent arrangement and space was a non-issue. The Hotel has a slightly 80's retro vibe which I actually quite liked...mostly to do with the built in console next to the beds which housed a radio, lighting and air-con controls. The TV was an older CRT type but we didn't come to Borneo to watch TV so no problems. The pool is huge and surrounded by lush greenery which gave it a resort feel. Wifi was available in all areas including a decent signal in the bedrooms which was great. Service was generally very good indeed and some minor issues with the room when we checked in were speedily resolved.

Our buffet breakfast offered many asian choices which my whole family love because we are all adventurous eaters! There was also western choices on offer such as cereal, toast etc. We loved the fruit! The waiting staff were very pleasant, friendly and relaxed.

The only slight negative experience was when I wanted to print out boarding passes for my next flight. Normally this is all part of the service with the many other hotels I have stayed in, I fwd the email from the airline to reception and they print this for me at no cost (4 pieces of paper doesn't cost the earth). However at Sabah Hotel I was told I had to use the 'Business Centre'.. a small room with a windows pc and printer. For my 5 minutes I was charged 6 MYR plus another 2 MYR for each piece of paper!! This is not a make or break situation...I run a business myself and understand costs need to be watched however it seemed weird to have wonderful all you can use Wifi then to charge a massive amount to use a desktop pc and printer.

All in all we would definitely stay again, the location just 15 minutes walk from town yet had a lovely getaway feel due to the rainforest type greenery.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jacqueline C, Acting Senior Sales Manager at Sabah Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Voonman,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us.

We are very happy that you and your family had a wonderful and enjoyable stay at Sabah Hotel in the nature vegetation. We have also taken note on the Business Centre charges and our executive is looking into the issue.

We look forward to welcome you back to Sabah Hotel in the very near future.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here at the end of a long journey from Kota Kinabalu via Sepilok en route to Sukau. The hotel is nicely laid out around its welcoming pool. Rooms were very comfortable and well appointed. Staff were able to arrange an early morning trip for a group of us to visit the sun bear sanctuary at Sepilok (well worth the trip!). Dinner was in the form of an international buffet, with tasty offerings from many countries (from nasi lemak to tempura, tandoori to pasta) the quality was excellent, a good opportunity for us to try teh tarik too. Likewise breakfast was great. A very nice hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MQ 107 & AC,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us.

We are indeed very happy that you had enjoyed your stay at Sabah Hotel in the Nature City of Sabah, surrounding by the lush greenery.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sabah Hotel in the near future.

Sidmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Disappointing. Dated and in need of a refit. Room musty. Pool area nice and lovely forest surrounding but this did not outweigh the poor service and staff who were disinterested. Luggage left on trolley on arrival and no courtesy extended. No food at breakfast -buffet completely devoured by 7.30am and had to ask member of staff for something to eat. She returned with 4slices of watermelon! I won't be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms Paula,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments and highlighting our shortcomings to us. We've had our Executives rectified the concerned issues.

We are currently in the midst of planning renovation in our guestrooms to compliment the beautiful greenery surrounding the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Sabah Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Counter service was rather slow. There was only one staff at front desk on arrival as well as check out. System was down upon check in hence there was a delay as it had to be done manually. Nonetheless, the room was comfortable and bell counter service was quick. Breakfast with poolside view and reasonable variety of food.

Stayed May 2014
Jacqueline C, Acting Senior Sales Manager at Sabah Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear kaybee_dino,

Thank you for your comments.

Our sincere apologies for the experience during your arrival as our system was down, which has been rectified.

We look forward to welcome you back to Sabah Hotel in the very near future.

Acting Senior Sales Manager

Been to Sabah Hotel? Share your experiences!