“Still New” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Sandakan
Kuala Lumpur
“Still New”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed for three nights on a working trip. The hotel is 11 months old and right in front is the sea.
The room is still new and clean and so is the bathroom.
I had partial sea view and part the wet market.
I like the view. Glass window panel goes to the floor level giving a great view.
Reception staff are not quite welcoming. The fumble through the prices of promotional rates that is between stay 3 nights pay for 2 nights and a certain rate on offer with a 10 plus 6 percent. I was booked into a room that came without breakfast. So I did not eat in. At RM45 plus 16 per cent I guess it was not necessary for me to have breakfast as at work I would be served morning break at 10 am.
Three of the bellmen were very polite and friendly. One even took time to explain what Sandakan has to offer. So my wife and I followed his suggestions on where and what to eat nearby and afar. We are grateful to this particular blue uniformed gentleman.
The swimming pool looks great almost similar to that of Zenith Hotel in Kuantan, Pahang .
I accept that the hotel is new but the staff should be properly trained before commencing operation. Different staff gives different view on the same one matter, very confusing. That is why sometimes a guest takes a long time to check in.
The bidet in the bathroom is somewhat strange for me. Instead of a trigger press, one has to hold the bidet and one hand turn on the tap for water flow.
The rain shower serves its purpose but the water pressure flow was poor. I guess nobody ever checked before the opening ceremony.
The lighting was adequate and the room seems bright.
Unlike certain hotels of the same rating, a day bed or reclining armchair would help after a hard day’s work. But there is only an oversized armchair that strained my neck. So I watched television sitting on the writing table chair.
The bed is good but the pillow and the comforter are not suiting to the usage. I feel the pillow and comforter is more for winter. That, was in my room, was somewhat warm and I could feel my neck hot throughout the night. These should be of normal standard and not warm. The arrangement of the bed was poorly arranged and designed as compared with the air conditioner duct, so when one is on the bed only the feet gets the air cond.
I asked for ball point pen for writing but housekeeping sent pencil instead.
I had to ask the reception staff who was kind enough to listen and understand my grouses who was on duty at night, for ball point pen, toothbrushes (only one supplied daily) and shavers (not supplied daily) which were not placed in my room for my three nights stay. Finally I received mine but the housekeeping staff delivered all only for two nights and without the toothbrushes. Also we are grateful to the counter staff for carefully listening to my grouses Anyway, I grew tired of asking and I did not want be seemed begging for what is rightfully mine (as the room is paid with the amenities).
An international hotel like Sheraton, the staff cannot understand plain English and cannot accept instructions, this is shameful.
For 40 percent of the Sheraton rate, my wife and I moved to another hotel. Swiss Inn Hotel (International) with sea view and sea frontage and better still with breakfast for two. For that rate the coffee house even has egg station. The room may be slightly small, but, after a while, you get used to the size and the money you pay for. After all, the two hotels are almost side by side with eateries so close, you don’t have to worry about distance. At every meal, you just watch the sea and enjoy the sea breeze

Room Tip: Higher floors have commanding views. Choose corner between town and part sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FourPointsSandakan, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Ahmad H,

Greetings from the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments regarding the staff attentiveness and hotel facilities especially the water pressure in the bathroom. Rest assured, these issues have been highlighted with the department head concern so that they in turn can address these matters via their on-going training and development programs.

Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodation. We continually strive for Operational Excellence and you may be rest assured that we will be continuously improving our facilities and services to maintain Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan as your preferred Hotel in Sandakan, Sabah.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We appreciate your time and effort in providing feedback to us.

On behalf of the team, once again, I look forward to welcoming you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan in the not too distant future.

Sincerely
Syntio Camilleri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a really lovely hotel and the views from all the rooms are amazing - overlooking the harbour. The service is excelent and efficient. The rooms are large and have everything you need. The showers are large. We ate in the hotel restaurant one night and had a lovely meal ( although this is a bit more expensive than eating in the town.) The infinity pool is wondorful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Julienne L,

Greetings from Four Points by Sheraton.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay.

We are delighted to know that our accommodations and hotel service were to your liking and thank you for your kind overall comments.

Sign in as a Starwood Preferred Guest and enjoy more the benefits of fast online booking, access exclusive benefits and flexible reward options. Discover just how rewarding membership can be. Enrollment is quick, easy and free.

On behalf of the team, I look forward to welcoming you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan in the not too distant future.

Faversham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Loved the hotel, the service and the location. Room was very comfortable and clean, the staff helpful and friendly. With Fisherman's Wharf a mere stroll away, this hotel couldn't be more convenient for exploring the iconic sights of San Francisco. Great hotel and one we'd definitely return to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FourPointsSandakan, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Dave F

Greetings from Four Points by Sheraton.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback - it gives us great pride to hear that our guests are having a great stay with us. We always looking forward to hear your comments.

Delighted to know that our accommodations and hotel services were to your liking. Sign in as a Starwood Preferred Guest and enjoy the benefits of fast online booking, access exclusive benefits and flexible reward. Discover just how rewarding membership can be. Enrollment is quick, easy and free.

Thank you for showing great support towards our hotel by choosing to stay here again for your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed for one night, but hope to go back for longer. The service was really good. We had a warm personalised welcome. I needed to get some clothes washed overnight, and they did it really quickly. My room was very comfortable and spacious, with a really comfy bed and a sea view. Breakfast was good - a nice mix of Western and Asian options with good coffee. I'd gladly go back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ann S S,

Delighted to know that our accommodations and service were to your liking and thank you for highlighting the room, breakfast at our signature restaurant and overall service especially receptionist and room attendant.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Very nice and new hotel! Good breakfast and very friendly staff, almost too friendly. But can that be a bad thing? No!

Only thing lacking is the fitness centre, not great!

I would also recommend the food by the pool! Great asian menu!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Emilar82,

Greetings from Four Points by Sheraton.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay.

We are delighted to know that our accommodations and hotel service were to your liking and thank you for your kind overall recommendation.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is the BEST hotel I've ever been!

We stayed 4 nights at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan in March for my wedding trip. We took 2 deluxe seaview rooms, 1 for mom, sister and brother, and another 1 for hubby and me. This new hotel is so lovely, beautiful and luxury, very clean and spacious room with stunning seaview, very soft and comfortable bed, great in-room facilities included free in-room wifi, friendly staff, and the best of all is the infinity pool on 13th floor.

The hotel is located in the center of the town, attached with a shopping mall and a fresh market is nearby, it is easy to go around for tourists. In my case, since hubby is local and we have a car, the traffic is congested during peak hours (morning and around 5pm), expect 10-15 mins stuck on traffic jam.

We were glad we chose this hotel as the stay and services were above our expectation, all of our special requests were full-filled made our wedding trip so memorable. Definitely we'll be back again and for sure I'll recommend this hotel to my friends.

Here are some tips:
1. Apply for their official membership card "Starwood Preferred Guest" from their official site (which is FREE) before your trip. With this card you are entitle a number of great services, eg special lane for check-in. Hubby requested early check-in (10am) and late check-out (4pm) and all of our other special requests were all full-filled (send in your requests couple of weeks before your departure).

2. Get a deluxe seaview room, request the corner room (come in king size bed), you will get stunning DOUBLE SEAVIEW facing East and South (eg Room 1628).

3. If you are driving, avoid getting in and out of the hotel during rush hour, around 8am and 5pm.

Note: Car park charge RM2 per entry for hotel guests.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe seaview room at the corner (eg Room 1628), you'll get 2 seaview windows and the stu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FourPointsSandakan, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear RuChiaJRLai

Greetings from Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback - it gives us great pride to hear that our guests are having a great stay with us. Your stay and visit experience is of the utmost importance to us. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodation.

Delighted to know that our accommodations and service were to your liking and thank you for highlighting the spectacular room view, infinity pool, staff friendliness and especially the benefit of become a member of Starwood Preferred Guest. Discover just how rewarding membership can be to access exclusive benefits, flexible reward options and fast online booking. Enrollment is quick, easy and free.

Nevertheless, thank you for showing a great support towards our hotel by choosing to stay here again for your next visit.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at hotel for 5 nights and it was lovely. The hotel is new and has an amazing infinity pool providing a view over the entire Sandakan.
We stayed for less than 40$ a night!!!! It was a steal and we could not believe the hotel`s facilities were actually that nice. The location of the hotel is amazing, right in downtown Sandakan, next to the coastal food street on one side and the fish market on the other.
It was easy to organize day trips from the hotel and the staff was very helpful with arranging car service for us and giving us options of what we can do during the day.
I strongly advise that plans on the various activities are made prior to arriving in Sandakan as many of the travel destinations are booked way in advance ( e.g. we could not go to Lankayan Island as it was booked for the entire month we were there).

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view over the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Longyani

Greetings from Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan for your recent stay. We are greatly appreciate your feedback - it gives us great pride to hear that our guests are having a great stay with us. Your stay and visit experience is of the utmost importance to us. Delighted to know that our accommodations and service were to your liking and thank you for highlighting the infinity pool and staff friendliness.

Nevertheless, thank you for showing a great support towards our hotel by stated your kind recommendation. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodation.

Syntio Camilleri

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan? Share your experiences!