“I hope heaven's like this” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in Pulau Tioman
Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
“I hope heaven's like this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We - family with two young girls aged 6 and 7 - stayed at Minang cove for 3 nights. In short, we experienced this resort, the service, the food and the whole setting as fantastic.

We arrived at Merseng the day before our departure with the jetty to Tioman. Merseng is not a place I would recommend anybody to stay. We wanted to be in time for the boat, but the next time I would plan it better to avoid spending the night in mersing.

But the service at the small office in Merseng was excellent. The lady helped us quickly on the boat, and after a pleasant trip we were dropped of in Tekek. Then transported to Minang cove in a very little boat, which was a bit bumpy but the kids loved it. We were welcomed by Vicky, and after a welcome drink and some explanation our room was ready. A standard (family) sea view room. It indead had a beautiful view and an airco! Not the most stylish room, but clean and spacy enough for us.

The restaurant/bar area is central close to the beach and the pier into the sea. This area is very nice, very stylish and comfortable. The food is more than excellent and they can mix very nice coctails.

We spend most of the time chilling at the beach, play with the kids in the sea. The pier is fun to jump off, and the snorkling in front of minang cove will keep you busy for hours. The trip to the snorkling island is also very good, for snorkling but also for diving. The dive operation of Mimang cove is ok. Modern equipment, but I think they don't go out very often. Max 1 dive a day?

We had a very relaxed time. With a limited number of guests (I guess max 25) it's a small operation and the food and service is very good. I was a bit disappointed about the willingness to help me to do more diving, but the snorkling is also very rewarding.
Our room was good... but with same modernisation could also be fantastic.

But I would do it again any minute, and has been the best place of our 3 weeks trip in Malaysia.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

We had been travelling with my boyfriend around Malaysia for more than 3 weeks and after arriving from our round trip from KL, Taman Negara, Perhentian and Kapas islands, our last destination was Tioman, Minang Cove. Comparing the other islands, this was the wildest looking of all with the peaks and rainforest around. As we spent some time around in Malaysia, we had some experience to compare accommodations, service and prices.

Already the arrival was outstanding comparing the other places we stayed, as soon as we got off from the ferry from Mersing, Minang Cove crew was already waiting for us with a speedboat. As soon as we got off in Minang Cove, Alex, the manager (young, friendly and nice guy) welcomed us and two refreshing drinks were waiting for us on the table in the bar. He gave us a short introduction and basically we could start our rest.

We booked the simpliest room without sea view, but with air condition. It was up on the hill with a view to the peak, palm trees and a bit of the beach of the resort. Next to our chalet there were a bunch of monkies (we loved it) who were quarreling with us when approaching the jackfruit tree behind the chalet. It was fun! We also saw a big lazy lizzard that lives under the big stone behind the restaurant. You can see loads of them on the island, they are everywhere. There was a bat living under our chalet and we also met a few gekkos around, they come out around sunset and eat up the bugs on the balcony, We also saw two flying squirrels one day next to the beach :-)

The whole place is being run hand in hand with nature, so it is a bit of contrast to have a very clean (they daily clean the chalets and change towels) and comfortable room (massive, comfortable bed) with AC in the middle of paradise. If you like nature, this is definitely a place to stay. If you have the chance, choose room with AC, you will go mental of the humid, hot air with only a fan during the night. We tried that as well, it was no fun,

We went to jungle trekking the next day, easy to get around as you only need to follow the wires to the waterfall - in the middle there is a local village, it is worth seeing, but do not expect floatable plastic crocodiles in the souvenir shops, either heavy night life, if you are looking for parties and night out in Minang Cove, you will not find it. Then choose another location on the island. During the jungle trekking we saw three beaches, all of them were empty, so you can easily have your privacy if feeling getting away from the resort for a few hours or a day.

Guests were coming and going while we were there, mixed nationalities, mainly families with children or couples.

Food is extremely good, if you like spicy, go for the Tom Yam soup, one of the best I had eaten in Malaysia. Cocktails are also delicious, even pricing is a bit high considering Malaysian standards (still ok with European standards), but when we are on holiday, we rarely deal with these things as we want to enjoy ourselves.

There are diving, snorkling possiblities, also you can hire the speedboat to go to Tekek, where the airport is located and considered to be a big village, well, I would not recommend that as we went there and found it absolutely useless, but the boat trip itself was worth the money, Malaysian boat men are well experienced and they make sure that you are ok even if it gets bumpy. Tekek can be interesting if you are looking for very cheap booz as they have a few duty free shops and for a European, prices of even for the best quality brands are ridicilously cheap.

Overall I would recommend this resort to everybody, who would like to have a relaxed time, wants to get away from the everyday stress, as there is no connection with the outside world. No internet or phones.

I think you get value for your money, staff is highly professional/ friendly/ helpful (smiling at you all the time!), big advantage having an English manager, it makes communication easy, the rooms are clean and comfortable, beautiful nature all around.

Overall Malaysia is a beautiful country with hospitable locals. We did not have any extremely negative experiences during the 3.5 weeks we spent with travelling. We fell in love with Malaysia and planning to go back to see Borneo next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

The time I spent at Minang Cove was absolutely fantastic. Not to be overly dramatic, but I came away as refreshed and as happy as I have ever been from a vacation. It was the ideal place to relax, counting time simply by the movement of the sun and mealtime bells. This resort gets it right, having the perfect mix of location, charm, and excellent staff.

The moment you step onto the jetty you are made to feel like you are part of the family there. Alex and Vicky greeted us, making us feel at home. We stayed in a Deluxe Seaview Room where the room was breezy and you could hear the waves rolling on the shore from bed. The highlight was definitely the balcony. looking over the crystal blue seas towards the mainland. The setting of this resort is absolutely spectacular.

Days here were best filled with beachtime, snorkeling, a hike to the nearby village, a trip to the waterfall, napping, and of course a bit more lounging. The pace is slow, and incredibly comfortably so.

The staff is not in your face, but is exceedingly available, preparing trips and giving advice on the best wanderings around the island. Alex and Vicky are both very friendly and go above and beyond to make your time there enjoyable. Vicky also makes an excellent cocktail...

There are a number of places of hotels to chose from on Tiomon, but if you are looking for seclusion and relaxation, this is hands down the best value around.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
portland, me
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Where to begin... We arrived mid day by speedboat, which picked us up from the Mersing ferry jetty and transferred us to the beautiful, small resort tucked beneath massive rocks and lush greens. Our room, a deluxe seaview, was ocean front, simple and comfortable. The best part was the balcony, which sat over the ocean and faced the turquoise sea. We spent hours here reading, playing cards, talking, napping.

From the moment we arrived, we were highly impressed by Vicky and Alex, who are so welcoming, calm, and helpful. They were quietly visible and professional all day and then pleasantly engaging at the bar in the evening.

The food was another immense treat. Each morning we ate a simple, fresh breakfast, had a snack and tea in the late afternoon then sat with the rest of the guests at dinner. Generally a feast, we often left the table quite full! We still talk longingly about the bbq.

We spent one week here and were terribly sad to leave. It is a small, secluded, quiet place not one of high adventure or fancy amenities. We spent our time swimming, snorkeling, lounging, walking to the refreshing waterfall, reading and just enjoying each others company.

I am disappointed when I read reviews that complain about the lack of services. This place is one of retreat. If you go with that intention, you will not miss the internet or phone. It was peaceful, relaxed and without frills. We enjoyed every minute of our stay and would return if ever back on Tioman.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Tioman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Minang Cove was a great discovery. This is the good side of Tioman, south and not too touristical, a lovely experience. Nice chalet and especially a very relaxed place, beautiful and extremely friendly. Vicky and Alec do everything they can to make you feel at home. We appreciated especially the great jungle trek through Mukut village and to the waterfalls, we were the only tourists there, a great feeling. Great food too, great service, just perfect. The fish feeding after dinner was a wonderfull moment each day, we had a lovely time. We went to another resort in Tioman after Minang Cove and were, of course, deceived....I highly recommend this place to nature lovers (we had monkeys on our terrace) and to people who enjoy relaxing!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Beautiful Island, small cove with small beach area - ok for kids. Accommodation is fine for where you are, we had 3 bed beach front villa and it was just what we needed.
Snorkelling was great, there is a PADI place but we didn't use it.
Food was a malay buffet every night - fantastic food and our kids ate without any fuss, the seafood BBQ on saturday is to die for.
we met amazing number of new and interesting people, nature of Tioman is people come and go for short stays (alhough we did 10 nights)
Bar does a mean singapore sling
Staff are helpful and always smiling - Alex and Vicky a good host
if you want a 5 star hotel and all the trimmings then this won't be for you, but with 3 young kids we were never left wondering what to do - there is a great jungle walk to a waterfall
It's a real no shoes, no news (helped by a lack of mobile signal bar about 2m at the end of the jetty) type of place. We had a great time

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Where do I start, the island is just beautiful, I saw things I had never even dreamed of and those things will remain in my dreams forever more! The resort was amazing, I am struggling to do it justice so I will just start at the begining and hope you don't zone out before the end. Either way make sure you put this on your must see destination list!
We were picked up by a very speedy boat and expected to climb over other boats to board it but this didn't hamper us able bodied under 30's, it only added to the adventure. We arrived at the end of a long jetty and were met by all the staff, locals, dive boys and Vicky who was incredibly welcoming. Our huge bags were taken by the locals to our rooms (poor boys they were big bags) whilst we had a refreshing welcome drink in a very clean and well cared for bar and restaurant area. The view from here was just overwhelming, a cove with a soft sandy beach looking out onto an amazingly azure sea, decorated by palm trees. We got shown to our room which admittedly was up a steep hill but well kept and airconditioned, clean and very functional with fridge and water from a local spring that you could drink from the taps. I found it odd that there were no locks on the main doors but felt that this was all part of the welcoming, secure, happy place. I didn't need to worry! Food was good, authentic and there were some high points such as afternoon tea and cakes (different every day), the Satay night was very atmospheric with the locals all crowded round a BBQ making an abundance of food and it was gooood! Saturday BBQ night was also a winner but my God what a lot of food! The dive boys were friendly, informative and made me, a virgin diver, feel completely comfortable and I would have trusted them with my life...and I did! The dive was 50mins at 5mtrs which was just perfect for me and they have some good tricks up their sleeves for keeping you entertained keep your eyes on the clown fish! If you are not up to diving snorkeling was enough to entertain you. I cannot count the amount of colourful, magestic fish I saw. Other guests and I chatted avidly about where to spot the turtles and my other half and I spent a good 30mins swimming with one it was so calming to swin along with such a beauty...make sure you don't stay above them too long they need to come up for air too!
Tax free bar was good value in comparisson to the rest of Malaysia and the cocktails were leathal so go easy on the buy one get one frees!
Minang cove affected a comfortable, friendly air into all who stayed there and we got on with all 35 guests. The staff were very accommodating. No restrictions and don't listen to the reviewers who want phones and the net..for Gods sake why on earth would you go to a remote island expecting signal let alone wanting it!
Minang cove was a well run resort and despite flight cancellations we were treated like Kings, upgraded to an amazing room (the sea front chalet, especially the one overlooking the pier, may be worth the extra money!) and we were well looked after.
Big thanks to all at Minang Cove x

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Minang Cove Resort? Share your experiences!