“Berjaya... The Long Green Mile and Great Destination” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
12 Treats of Christmas
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Pulau Tioman
Perth, Australia
“Berjaya... The Long Green Mile and Great Destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Idyllic resort on Tioman Island, beautiful surrounds, private beachside resort, beautifully kept and maintained gardens, crisp clean pool in which there was plenty of lounge chairs and a well stocked pool bar (which was VERY unusual for Malaysia).
The Long Green Mile: noun: Long Bitumen drive which runs the length of Berjaya Resort. Accommodation/ beach on one side, gorgeous gardens and golf course on the other. (As nicknamed by myself and friends I travelled with). It was a VERY long walk up to the security gates and the heat radiating from bitumen at the most doubled the temperature. Would have been fantastic if Golf Buggy shuttles up and down the long green mile were provided.

I had a Standard chalet (out the back at the end of the long green mile)... Clean, fresh sheets and towels each day, large well appointed room, shower and bath, maybe a little tired furniture wise but definitely comfortable and well maintained. Nicely private too. My friends had Superior Rooms nearer the pool area, rooms were same as mine but newer fittings and furniture, same tho very nicely decorated, although they were situated in a more densely populated area of the resort which made it a little less private and more people noise.

We stayed 4 nights which was absolutely plenty as there is not a lot to do at the resort. I did enjoy the evening entertainment at the Beach Bar. We also rented scooters from the security gates (hence us walking the green mile 2+ time a day), they proved a great investment in getting around and seeing a little more of the island. In saying that, there is only one road into Teket Township, airport and to other end of bay (which stops at a stairway path 10min walk to another bay which is worth visiting), and we braved the only other mountainous roadway to other side of island - this road is NOT for the weak hearted so, be aware. Locals were amazed and in awe of the fact that myself as a single female rider made the trip there and back on my own scooter.

We bused from KL to Mersing (5.5hrs), and ferried to Teket (2hrs)... Hustle and bustle since we were just following our noses and the language barrier proved a little daunting at times, it was a very rewarding way to see a lot of Malaysia and their jungles. We were going return via this route but decided the 1hr plane trip back to KL was a far more sensible option... Well, that was til we saw the plane and having 2people in our group who don't like to fly took a little convincing. Don't let the propeller DHC-7 planes put you off flying to Tioman... A little noisy, but efficient planes built for this perfect location and short runway.

A brilliant destination a Great short break.

Room Tip: I had a Standard chalet (out the back at the end of the long green mile)... Clean, fresh sheets and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Location - Perfect. Pickup & Drop from jetty\ airport by the resort (both are just either side of the road). 10 minutes drive. Long, private beach. There are a couple of restaurants just outside the resort which are cheap as long as you dont select sea food. Recommend the food outside the resort if you are ready to walk a few hundred meters and concerned in keeping a check on expenses. In resort food facilities are pricey.There were lots of huge monitor lizards just outside the resort below the creaky wooden bridge. (on first look, looked like small crocs)!!

Room - Stayed in superior room. Compact & sufficient. Know how to use the aircon, on first day, we did not set it right & after couple of hours realized the room was warm. Then had to work on setting it right. Got me a bit frustrated as the room was not ready even after 3:00 PM, after waiting for 1 hour at reception, we went to the room directly and waited until the staff cleaned. Then found that the room key was not with cleaning staff & reception had it. On calling the reception 3 times, they finally sent the room key and it was 4:00 PM. We had not had our lunch yet!!! Understandable as all are equally human... A bit of a hiccup

Buffet Breakfast & Dinner - The dinner was complimentary on one night & had booked room along with breakfast. Good variety of food with varieties for all. Good & sufficient. During dinner, a group was playing music walking around to individual tables. Sweet when they started singing birthday songs to someone celebrating their birthday.

Swimming pool - Was a disappointment because of timing restrictions. They need to keep it open for more time. It had not opened at the time of breakfast and had closed before dinner time... the timings when people like me prefer to take a swim.

Beach - Get some chairs, sit down and you will notice that time flies by. Chairs are scattered after the activities area & some near the swimming pool and breakfast area. The water is crystal clear once you reach a few meters into the sea, there was lot of waves than what i had expected.

Activities - Ensure you go to the Renggis Island nearby for snorkeling on day 1. The timings are restricted. It is just 2 minutes by boat from the jetty. We were first time snorkeler. The platforms make sure you dont have to worry, people afraid of swimming can just sit on the platform and watch the fishes and corals. Snorkeling is a must do activity. Lucky for us, Renggis Island trip & gear was complimentary. We had been the first person to reach the platform & last people to leave from there. Not sure if you can feed the fish but someone was throwing few bread crumbs or some food and the fishes just were swarming the place. We wanted to take the coral island tour but was canceled due to bad weather both during morning & afternoon. We had a feeling that we had been left out because the tour was possibly overcrowded. Was quite very disappointed.

4WD - There are 4 wheel drive options at the entrance of the resort & resort also arranges. The waterfall right in the center of the island to me was perfect. We were alone, not another person in the 30 minutes we were out there. Few fishes, small waterfall and place excellent for photos & right in the middle of a forest like environment. Water was clear. They also take you to the turtle park but we were too early. It opens only at 11:00 AM. The other side of the island also has platforms for snorkeling and options. Same with the marine center. The 4WD options were pricey and you must spend sometime bargaining.

Overall: My type of place & I will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: If you need to have your food outside resort, choose rooms near the entrance of the resort. The reso...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Tioman is a beautiful place, with lots to do. However this place just seems to be huge, for nothing. Although beautifully built, the room we stayed in (Superior) after the free upgrade, made me think what the standard room we initially bought was like.
On the outside gorgeous, with a hint of a North African touch in architecture. But enter, and you might aswell camped out.
Bathroom was very very basic, bed was comfortable but the whole place was creaky, loud and you felt you were sharing with the rest of the occupants in that cluster of rooms.
Don't get me wrong, if you have a family and looking to have a holiday away, this could be the place.
Overall, I would rather have stayed in a cheaper place, on the beach, with cheaper food, drink etc.

• Stayed June 2013
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have heard a lot about Tioman and managed to in a package deal with Berjaya Air and Berjaya Tioman Resort. I know you can come by bus/ferry from Singapore, but I rather pay a little bit more and relax at the resort rather than spend it on the road.

Airplane - it was quite old and the propellor type plan. It was actually quite a nice experience, although it was quite dated. It was only a 40 minutes trip and they did provide water and a quick snack during the trip. The good thing from Singapore is that it goes direct from Changi airport to Tioman.

Shuttle Bus - whilst I was told it would be picking me up, it was a bit disorganised and quite infreqeuent, with very little information available at the airport upon arrival. Basically it was a free for all - but they didn't stop necessarily at the entrance of the airport, so I ended up walking a bit further down and picking it up from another pick-up point.

Resort / Chalet - I enjoyed the resort, it was actually just what I needed and the standard chalet was very comfortable for my needs. The place was easy to get around and the beach was very tranquil. If you want the hustle and bustle you can go towards the main swimming pool, however, if you walk a bit further you can find some nice sun loungers away from people - which is exactly what I wanted. Watch out for the sand flies and the large ants (not sure if the ants bite, but they congregated around my front door, which was a bit annoying).

Breakfast - it was adequate with a nice selection to fill my belly. If I stayed longer, I think I would get bored with it, but it met my needs well.

Lunch/Dinner - you can eat it one places within the resort, or if you are keen to try something more local, there are two places just outside the entrance. I went to the one that was busier, and the food selection was pretty good. One meal cost around 20RM each - which wasn't bad at all (especially when that would be equiv to one dish in the resort)!

Snorkelling - you can book a snorkelling or diving trip from the resort lobby, I booked my snorkelling trip before I left which was 35RM (40RM if I booked at the resort). You got to Renggis Island which is a short 2 minute boat journey out. The coral reef and fish life are pretty nice and it's not that busy. You can go for an hour trip at any time during the day, so you can go when it's a bit quieter.

Resort Service - I like the staff, they were very pleasant, they definitely trid to be on hand to offer assistance, and they met my needs (although I was generally low-maintenance).

Price - slightly on the expensive side, because I flew and was a solo visitor - but overall it was 'okay'.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, it certainly was relaxing, the beach views were very nice and relaxing, although I think I did stay just the right number of days before getting bored.

Room Tip: The deluxe chalets seemed very nice - they were largely beach-front, although this also meant that t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I just coming back from 3 days gateaway @ this resort.i brought together with berjaya air .the berjaya air dfntly need major refurbish.the hotel is located nicely and expected privacy at the beach . Stayed at the deluxe chalet facing beach.very nice, clan and big room. The b/l/d at the nelayan resto is very nice with a wide selection of food.

The cons: the staff is very much unfriendly..from the moment we check in the reservation staff and bellboy is not helping much.no smile and welcome feeling at all.the resto staff is likely not giving any training on how to serve food and drink properly and their staff even cant speak english nor bahasa.the chalet and the resto is quite far.so it will be nice if berjaya can provide us bicycle ( without charge).

Overall the hotel is nicely located and clean but the staff attitude is not even par with the price paid.so sad...

Room Tip: Choose nearer to resto
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last year, I was with 3 kids and I loved the place. My kids loved the glass bottom boat tour. The breakfast was decent with lots of variety for all. And the Corriander seeds restaurant was awesome. Great food and nice sitting arrangement. The beach is nice and the person in charge of snorkelling was very helpful.
Only thing that was negative was that there was no life guard at the pools. Me and my 2 year old lost balance and were drowning in the pool but there was no help.
Hope they have better arrangements next time. Otherwise, no complaints. My kids still miss the fish and chips that we regularly ordered in the room.

• Stayed July 2012
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I went in May for a 3 night break.Upon arrival from the ferry, we got checked in and we were on our way to the room when we discovered the room had not yet been cleaned so we were given another room without the sea view. We paid for the sea view and we had to wait for another hour for our rooms to be ready. The superior/deluxe rooms were big but basic and needed renovation. The breakfast buffet came with the room price and it had a fair choice. Dinner buffet wasnt to my taste and food options could be better. WE did not swim at the pool as it looked tiny and mainly for children. We mostly swam at the beach further out from the hotel where the water was clear and clean, We had a snorkeling pass which came with the room. It was a great experience and I would definitely recommend it. Overall, it was a pleasant experience but it could have been better. I was a bit disappointment with the rooms for the price we paid. I would go to Tioman again but stay at another hotel and get a flight over .The more expensive rooms are not worth the price and are just as good as the standard room.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the beach have a nice view but I think not worth the price we paid.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Berjaya Tioman Resort - Malaysia? Share your experiences!