“Near to beach but lack in maintanence” 3 of 5 stars

The Grand Beach Resort
5th Mile, Jalan Pantai, Port Dickson 71050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Port Dickson
Singapore, Singapore
“Near to beach but lack in maintanence”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I love the big pool and the spacious room BUT the hotel really need major revamp (shower not working, toilet mouldy, pool is sandy, rooms are badly managed).

Wont recommend for long stay..but they have helpful staff.

Room Tip: stay near the pool
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Hotel is on the beach, room is spacious, fitting is run down, bathroom moldy with fungus, mattress is old and too soft. all room with beach view, limited parking space, good breakfast and helpful staffs, fair size pool.

Room Tip: All room have beach view but do not take room near to beach it noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Really bad experience at this hotel, total rip-off. If me and my friends didnt have such a brilliant time together, i'd be having an absolutely lousy time here.

1. Unfriendly staff
2. Room's physical outlook was alright but there were MANY small cockroaches- toilet, bedside table, TOWEL, dressing table and bathtub.
3. Food - OK, average Malaysian fare. At one point i ordered coffee, milo and a slice of cake and it amounted to RM$22. To me that was a total rip-off. Coffee was bad.
4. Swimming pool was MURKY.
5. When I gave feedback to the counter staff before we checked out, she looked at me and merely nodded despite the fact that I delivered my feedback in a friendly manner!! NO APOLOGIES, no word of THANKS for the feedback. That's like BASIC HOTEL ETIQUETTE!!!

Overall, really bad experience of the hotel. Stay here if u're staying one night only. If I can put zero rating, i would have.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
setapak
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The staffs are not that friendly, especially those who are at the front desk. Our room has problem with air cond, and when reported n the maintenace guy came, he said our room shouldnt be rented out coz of same problems reported few times before, however we managed to get another room with good air cond.

The breakfast quite ok, and pool is great, my kids were having such a great time there that we didnt even get a time to go swim around the beach.

Room Tip: Make sure that the air conditioner in the room is working properly, check as soon as possible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Poor service need to train reception staff. I had problem with my doughter skin condition kiliod i check in about 1730hrs first room given was suck smelly like dump place request for move also facing same problem air conditioner like hell. Finally DM upgrade to superior king however only DM Alija deliver good service anticipate my needs but not front desk staff working like uneducated person.

• Stayed March 2013
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

last month i stayed at selesa beach port dickson,,room is old and dirty..morning breakfast,i look a staff all a seriously face,,i think maybe a prosedure there,staff cannot to get smile with GUEST..bcoz the first day i at there i not take seriously problem.at evening,i go coffee house for order ala carte,nobody staff come take order until 10 minute i wait,when i call,come someone staff and look me like look enermy,,i think better manangment do something for good servis staff,

Room Tip: room on first level are noise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I first visited this hotel in 2006 when it was still known as Regency Hotel. That time, I paid RM260 for the Seaview Room. Expensive it was but it was well kept and properly managed (except the long check-in and long check-out system).

This time, however, after 6.5 years, my visit back to this hotel (now known as Selesa Beach Resort) was very much a disappointment -- big disappointment. This time round, I paid RM190 nett for a Garden Room because this hotel was having a PROMO in Agoda.com. The "promo" wasn't really a promotion because they took out "breakfast for 2" from this room rate. If the breakfast was added back in, the price would probably have come up to RM240++. Anyway, coming back to topic.

My check in experience was super and fast (I was surprised!). The lady at the Front Office, Ms Renu, was very friendly, efficient and very quick. She didn't want to let me wait too long and handed me the keys almost immediately. I was happy. My boyfriend and I headed to our room and the minute the door was pushed open, my goodness! The room was shabby and old, the side cupboard where they placed the hot water kettle and tea/coffee making facilities were torn and tattered, ANTS swarmed the tray where the sugar and creamer were placed, the whole bathroom mirror had brown patches all over and the wooden tray that held the shampoo, soap and etc was almost the state of being rotten.

I had to run out of my room with the tray-with-ants to pass to the house keeping lady who was just next door. What did she do? Wipe the ants away and gave the tray back to me. I could have done that myself!

Balcony floor had bird's and bat's droppings all over, cigarette buds strewn all over the floor -- isn't this part of housekeeping? So whenever we wanted to sit at the balcony, we had to inconvenient ourselves to grab our slippers and to wear them when being at the balcony.

Air-conditioning system was weak. The room only got cold at night whereas during the day time, it felt like the air-cond didn't exist.

As for the surroundings in the hotel, the landscaping was still properly maintained, pool was OK but water was a bit murky and the beach was clean. The carpark area needs to be improved as there was hardly any carpark space for us to park when we came back to the hotel after dinner. My boyfriend had to get someone from the hotel to push away some bollards just so that we did not need to park on the main road, OUTSIDE the hotel.

Our verdict?

We reminded ourselves why, in the past 6.5 years, we have never came back to stay at this hotel. And....we won't ever stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple