“Nice stay. Bad beach” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3rd Mile, Jalan Pantai, Port Dickson 71000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #3 of 33 hotels in Port Dickson
“Nice stay. Bad beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed at Avillion for a workshop in June 2013. We were lucky enough to stay for free as it was a sponsored trip.

The Reception
First impression not so good. The lobby was quite small and did not look "grand" enough for a hotel that received such fine reviews. We also had to park on the other side of the road and my husband had to walk all the way from there. However, the staff at the reception counter was friendly enough and our check in was hassle free. They did not offer to bring the bags to our room until I asked them about it. A short walk into the hotel, then we started to see the better interior decors and ample facilities such as children room, pool etc

The walk to the rooms
As we were staying in a chalet, it was quite a walk to our chalet no 830. We saw the children pool, a group of staff playing traditional music, a petting zoo, infinity pool for adults only and peacocks walking round the area. The area is really clean. The chalet was situated nearer to shore and we were quite disappointed with the view as it was facing another chalet. The room size was big enough and it could accommodate our family of 5 just fine. I was curious to know if they have any rooms for disabled or people on wheelchair and one of the staff told me that yes they do have a chalet reserved for the disabled and I thought that was a nice touch and I might be able to bring my grandmother with her wheelchair here next time.

The BATHROOM
The shower was the highlight of our stay. It was so good. The tub was also the cleanest I've seen in all the hotel rooms I have stayed in Malaysia so compliments to the housekeeping staff!

The beach
The private beach is small. The staff do their best to clean the place up but it seemed like a struggling battle...The tide brings loads and loads of rubbish to shore. Definitely no swimming here. The public beach on the other end is never ending. My son had fun playing there but no swimming too.

The food
Food was OK. Diner cost RM 98++ per head so we decided to eat out. Lunch was excellent.

Wish I had tried the SPA but was not able to due to time limit. I would suggest that anyone wanting to stay here try to get a chalet that faces the open seas...and you do not go to PD for a swim in the sea unless you don't mind the rubbish and potential skin rash !

688 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sungai Buloh, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We decided to stay here after read the review from Trip Advisor. We arrived around 2 pm and I was surprise the parking space already full. I had to park my car at a grassy parking lot with mud everywhere. This already spoilt my mood.

The staff who take care customer check-in is so not friendly, they don´t have my room reservation in their record. My wife have to log to internet check back the reservation id. Our water chalet room is quite far and it is my surprise none of their staff offer to bring our luggage to room.

After checked in, we went to our room and were surprised to found that it is a 2 single bed room as we asked for King size bed room. They expect me to sleep separately with my wife? End up me and wife sleep at their daytime ´pangkin´.

This is a water chalet room, so don't expect you get a nice sea view. Another water chalet room not far from your room will block the full sea view from your balcony. Yeah, you have to pay more and get the premium water chalet to get full sea view from your room.

To make thing worst, there are a group of teenage at room next door which chat at their balcony until 3-4 am. How can we sleep when they chat and laugh so loud until late night.

It really not worth the RM590 I paid for the room, I am so disappointed with this so called 4 star hotel. The next time I come to PD, I would rather stay at Grand Lexis PD, they are far better choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

3rd time here, 1st time was me & my missus honeymoon 13 years ago, 2nd time was about 10 years ago & now. We got a complimentary night stay voucher at a Water Chalet. This is a great place to relax & unwind, best part its just an hour from Kuala Lumpur. Unfortunately the haze in PD was a problem for outdoor activities in which this resort had many like animal petting & feeding, private beaches. On the negative side, due to the haze me, my wife & daughter decided to have room service for our dinner. Some problems happen here. We ordered the Hainanese Chicken Rice, Nasi Goreng Kampung & Penang Fried Kway Teow. I specifically mentioned to the order taker No Beansprouts in the Kway Teow as my daughter hates them but when it arrived, there were beansprouts in the dish, we asked also for an ice bucket, also forgotten and our food arrived an hour & 15 to 20 minutes after ordering. We received a note in the morning after swimming about the 12noon check out, we followed the instructions & duly vacated the room at 12noon sharp, we ask for the bill, the receptionist on duty just asked for my credit card & charged it without even showing me any bills or final invoice for me to check. Once he gave me the credit card receipt, he charged my card RM660.00, I told him how can this be when our room was complimentary & we should only have the bill for our room service. He didn't check the booking details & just charged blindly but thank god for a the FO or Duty Manager in charge, a Chinese lady, she rectified the problem by voiding the charge & apologise for the error. Aside from the problems from the room service & front office, our stay was a pleasant one & hope to return..minus the haze !!

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were disappointed. This was supposed to be one of the top 3 hotels in PD but the service is horrible. Firstly, the man who checked us in seemed disinterested. We wanted some info about the area and where we could go to dine in but he does not seem willing to share. Then, the water chalet we got was badly situated. Nothing like the scene we liked on the website. They gave us a corner room and the chalet was facing alot of other chalets. Hence, no privacy. Lastly, I needed some info about a programme in the hotel. So I asked the front office lady. She seemed clueless and took a long time to answer my query; said she would call me and get back to me but i didn't hear from her ever. The room itself was alright. We liked the toilet. In a nutshell, the stay was quite a disappointment and it's all because of bad service. The only pleasant and helpful person we met there was the towel lady who signed us into the gym.

Room Tip: Try to get water chalets that are furthest from the shore as possible.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

When people mention Port Dickson, i wouldn't consider going there... due to to its infamous dirty beaches and so on. Anyway, this time around, my mum from Japan came spontaneously and we wanted to bring her for a spa-getaway that is relatively close to KL as well.
So off we went to Avillion PD. I did hear that it was one of the better hotels there too..

We easily found Avillion with the Waze app so from KL was about an hour plus. Anyway below i will break down my review into sections as i guess it would be easier for you to read what is relevant to you.

The room:
My first impression of the hotel is that it seems pretty old-looking.. We got the room at the Garden bay? That was alright.. quite spacious and a huge bathroom. We wanted to get the sea-front rooms but it was really pricey.. What is good about our room is that there is this window-couch thing which served as an extra bed and so we didnt have to call in an additional bed (as there were 3 of us). The down side of the room was that the hot water runs out pretty fast (and i hate showering in cold water).

Swimming:
The main pool was cluttered with kids and families but it was good to find out that they have an adults-only edgeless pool (no kids allowed) for some peace and personal time.
Was very disappointed about the 'beach' tho. As expected... it was dirty (with rubbish) and its nothing like a beach.. so don't expect to chill on the beach at this hotel...

THE SPA (AviSpa):
OK so this was the MAIN attraction for my family and i. Since this is a new addition to this resort, it is absolutely amazing! i honestly didn't know about this prior to the trip so i was blown away. The Spa is an amazing floating house above the sea with beautiful interior and exterior design. Great for photo taking and has a really relaxing ambience. I honestly felt like i was in Maldives :) The Spa session was good, very relaxing. The room is nicely designed and the experience as a whole is very credible. After your session, i love the fact that they take you out to the balcony to sip on ginger tea. As for the pricing, well it was pretty expensive but it's worth it...You can also have tea-time at the glass house (Spa) however you need to be on some special list apparently.. as i couldnt have tea there without a reservation i think..

The food (buffet breakfast):
The breakfast was meh... nothing special at all.. i guess they do have a wide variety... but still below average for me.
As for dinner, we drove out nearby our hotel. Their town is like a deadtown so we ended up eating at this seafood restaurant that was pretty good but empty.

Night entertainment:
They have a karaoke bar for entertainment... but it was pretty dead as well. Well besides the hotel's own entertainment service i dont think you're going to find much night-life out of the hotel.. definitely no happening night clubs and bars.

All in all... if it wasn't for the SPA the hotel would be pretty average.
But worth a go if you're looking for a short near getaway. Especially for the spa.

Room Tip: The sea-front rooms should be a better choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I just came back from Avillion Port Dickson and I am already thinking about my next trip there.

To get there, I drove from Singapore using the NS highway, exit to highway E29, to N8, head all the way till I see the beach line and turn left into Jalan Pantai. This hotel/resort will be on your right.

My first impression of this place is how safe it is. Right at the doorway were three stout, red-beret security officers stationed at the carpark, lobby and driveway who look alert and serious.

Check-in was super easy and after I was led to my room, I thought that this is going to be a super lazy trip but I can never be so wrong! There were so many activities that one can do and I hadn't finished them all!

The standard things to do includes fishing, kayak, water activities, swimming, etc. I must, at this point, state that the swimming pool is extremely clean. Other activities include gym, Wii, board games, nature hike, firefly river cruise trip, beach volleyball etc. Not to be missed in my opinion is taking a walk out on the beach during low tide and examine the rich marine life. Also, there is a free cooking class near to the swimming pool for kids everyday at 1600hrs plus free feeding pets session near to the dinning area at 1000hrs. There is also free taiji on Saturdays. I took a kiddie package so I have both of my kids do batik painting in their kids cabin.

Their buffet does not have a huge variety but every dish is delicious. The star of the dinner in my opinion must be the nonya kuehs or deserts. It's a must try.

If you are more adventurous, you can drive 15 minutes down to Waterfront Port Dickson where there are KFC, Pizza Hut, Macdonalds and a huge load of restaurant. It also have a megamart where you can get any groceries that you want or need. To get to Waterfront Port Dickson, turn left along Jalan Pantai once you are out of Avillion. Follow the Macdonald sign as landmark, turn left at the next traffic light and then another right. Once you see a sign "Macdonald's 400m", turn left and head straight.

The rooms are really spacious with a balcony looking out at the open sea. The highlight of the room is a huge open air rain shower with bathtub. Very romantic setting.

The staff is extremely pleasant and polite. Although they could only speak some English, they are not hard to understand when coupled with smiles and hand gestures.

There is a beautiful building that houses a spa. Rates are around 200++ Malaysian Ringgit. Hadn't try it but I can see many awards at the front desk. Looks impressive. Will try it the next time I visit.

You will also be delighted to know that free Wifi is available throughout the resort no matter where you go.

I did not manage to locate a single moneychanger but that is alright. Credit cards are accepted widely around Port Dickson even if you did not bring sufficient cold hard cash.

Room Tip: Get a room at the tip of the cluster, nearest to the sea. Best view, plus you can fish from your roo...
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hotel need to get the Wifi running, such a bad connection, a hotel of this nature should make sure they have the best connection to Wifi , its not cheap staying here but this piss me off and hope the hotel make it good

Room Tip: Great place request for better WIFI if you are on the move
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Avillion Port Dickson? Share your experiences!