“Average Resort” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Port Dickson
Manila
“Average Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

I stayed at Avillion for several days for a business conference. I guess I was lucky because I did not encounter any problem with the resort. The staff overall were friendly and helpful.

I arrived at Avillion at around 11 pm and check-in was a breeze since there were no other guests around. I was escorted to my water chalet and found the room quite big, especially the bathroom. The veranda faced the seashore which was nice, although the sea water did not look all that inviting. It rather looked a little dirty which made me decide not to swim in the beach.

During my entire stay, the room was always cleaned and changed with new sheets everytime I came back from our meeting. Breakfast was plentiful although I kind of got tired of the food after awhile.

One thing I have to mention is that there are not a lot of TV channels available. If you get bored with your stay there, you probably won't get any relief by watching TV. Bring a game console instead.

• Liked — Big bathroom
  • Disliked — I forgot to mention no internet access inside the rooms
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

I booked the rooms as the chalets were totally sold out. A large portion of the rooms/chalets appeared to be "sold" to the internet agent as there were none available directly from the hotel. Surprisingly, the rates for both were the same. The out-of-the ordinary thing was that a 10% deposit was made on booking to the internet agent and the rest of the 90% was paid at the resort! I was not sure and called the agent before doing the booking.

We checked in smoothly at 3pm and were fortunate to have been able to park on the resort's premises (not across the road) the 3 days we were there. The room was presentable although they had not been prepared for 3 (my reservations did indicate 3 persons)....we had to call housekeeping everyday for the 3rd towel. However, the controls for the aircon did not seem to work and it kept blowing really cold air around the inner half of the room (I had to cover my face with the blankets all night long) and the safe box was not in operation as well.

For a typical Malaysian breakfast, I was satisfied with the roti canai with egg (egg prata in Singapore) which was a lot less oily, the kaya (egg jam for the toast) was not too sweet and went well with my concocted prata with kaya and the spicy chicken that went with the nasi lemak.

There are only 2 food outlets on the resort - Breakfast was at the village Court and we had lunch at Crow's Nest which is a little more formal. We had a mixed grill (3 seafoods and 3 meats) for RM52, grilled slipper lobsters (2 wholes) for RM42 and a half portion of seafood noodles (for kids only) for RM13. The quality and price were good, but the cooking method was not up to par.

Staff service was not that great considering they are supposed to be the best resort there. But the security personnel (whom were from an outsourced agency) were all extremely polite and warm.

Since I prefer less noise and more privacy, I opted for the Tumasek Beach which is on the west side of the resort (on the opposit end of the seaview rooms block). The Riau Beach houses the sports centre, as such, there is more activity and less privacy. The 3 pools are far smaller than what I imagined them to be.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

With the best location and nice surroundings, We stayed on two occasions within 7 days of each other, both rooms were nice, though both rooms had problems with the tiolets and also some other malfunctions which despite being reported to the management, were never properly fixed and went wrong within minutes of them supposed to have been fixed. Avillion will not discount and insist on full price for excellent service, sadly the service is 1 star and the price 5 star. There are better places to stay in Asia, give this one a miss!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

I have stayed here twice - and while the stays have not been without problems (including checking out to go to Corus down the road for half a day because there was no water - but back to that later), I really enjoyed the place.

Now, you have to remember where you are. A sleepy hollow 1.5 hours from KL. Malaysians in general are very laid back and standards are lower across the country than in Western countries -so...

The Avillion is the best place to stay in Port Dickson - and by Malaysian standards is very nice.

The rooms 'chalets' over the water are very cute and these are I have stayed. My husband has stayed in the garden room (same but no outdoor bathrooms) and in the large apartment block (more hotel experience) and also thinks the water chalets are the nicest.

The chalets have a massive oversized king bed (hard, but ok), a lovely 'day bed' in a bay window overlooking the water (and unless you are in the end 'ocean view' chalets - you'll be looking into the other chalets), balcony (see previous comment) cable TV, air conditioning (which you will need a spare key or credit card to leave in the slot all day because the chalets are basically sheds that get hot in 5 minutes and take forever to cool) and a fun outdoor bathroom attached to the main room via a stained glass door.

The bathrooms are where this place wins it for me. I loved the outdoor shower with reflexology stones under foot. The colours are wood and bamboo, with a nice vanity and enough room for two to move around. It's hot out there though - and to blow dry your hair bring your own hairdryer for inside the room with air con, or you'll suffer.

The pool areas are nice and there is even an adult pool where kids are not allowed. Thank god.

The breakfasts are good and the lady who makes the eggs does a brilliant job. I also love curry for breakfast, so the ikan bilis, cucmber, nuts and condensed milk topping always went down a treat. (Make your own weird concoction, don't just listen to me!)

My husband actually lived in this resort for about 3.5 months and I strayed for about 3.5 weeks.

The stays were never without problems. This is Malasia remember, so you can't get stressed when things go wrong. No problem, relac ba. We've had friends stay and the hot water system exploded (on the roof of the chalet) and drenched them all in boiling water while they were sleeping and ruined all of their stuff.

I had the pleasure of staying while they had no hot water for 6 days, while they were trying to find a water leak on the premises by popping their head down manholoes for days. Funny to watch - but not funny to have to use the pool as a bath.

But, because of this - I actually got so desperate I checked out and headed over to Corus down the road, which at the time was rated number one of the hotels in Port Dickson by the Lonely Planet. This place was a HOLE! The rooms were tiled, musty smelling, with filthy old bedheads that had grease stains where people had rested their heads while watching TV. The bathrooms were awful and filthy with mould growing on the tiles, showers in the baths and hair stuck in the drains. I had a shower, didn't feel much cleaner after the experience, paid my $160 and left to go back to The Avillion without water - that's how awful Corus was.

Anyway. While at the Avillion, make sure you check out their monkey plucking cocnuts - on almost every day. Hilarous. And don't forget to head out to their 'best and classiest' restaurant in town Seaview. Fun place who serves white wine warm and has water rats running through the place. But the food is great. Gotta love Malaysia!

• Liked — The bathrooms in the water chalets
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

My husband took me here for 4 days and 3 nights (extended by 1 night) to celebrate my 22nd birthday. We intentionally set off from KL a bit late, by the time we arrived it was already 5pm and our room (it was a Garden Chalet room) was all ready. Check in process was speedy and there were no hiccups, probably due to our late arrival time. Our initial impression of the resort was generally favorable.

We were escorted to our Garden Chalet room by a porter, as usual. On the way there, we were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful, lush green gardens of the resort. Beautiful flowers and vegetation lined the walkways to our room. The Garden Chalet wing are 2 stories in height, we got ours on the ground floor, directly in front of the resort's sauna. Seeing that we were more keen to get a room on the 1st floor, we made a request to the reception counter but to no avail, as all available rooms were booked and another had a leaking toilet. Oh well...nevertheless, we were quite pleased with our room as it was spacious, clean and nicely decorated and furnished, with a faint hint of kampung ambience. I generally like my hotel rooms to be carpeted (I can't live without carpets!), but in this case I had to make an exception as although our room was entirely bare, it was made of timber. So it didn't get too cold at night. The bathroom was huge and it was awesome! It had a nice large bathtub in the middle, with separate shower rooms and toilet. In our opinion, this is the best bathroom that we've ever seen while on our travels. Hence the title of this review, hehe.

There was a slight problem with our bathroom's sink, though. My husband found out that it was leaking and we quickly called the housekeeping department and they promptly sent a maintenance super to fix it, which he did in a matter of minutes. All in all, good response to the problem by the hotel staff.

We generally took our lunch & dinner outside, because we were getting quite tired of hotel buffet food. You can find a lot of restaurants selling local food (and also western food) outside the resort. The restaurants are also quite near, at least a couple are within walking distance from the resort. It'd be definitely easier if you had your own transport though.

We had a not-quite-minor gripe with the parking lot at the resort. If you're lucky, you'll be able to park at the parking lot which is located just outside the hotel's main lobby. This is well-guarded and well-lit, and you can be sure that your car will be safe there. The spaces available however, are quite limited. If the said parking lot is full, then you'll have to park at another parking lot located across the road, which is also quite safe and well-lit. It is, however, quite a nuisance to have your car parked there as the said road is very busy and have a lot of high-speed traffic most of the times as it is a major arterial road in the area. Not that safe to pedestrians, if you ask me.

The resort had two amazing swimming pools, one the main pool located next to the resort's restaurant (sort of like an infinity pool) and the other an adult-only pool situated near the water chalets. Both are excellent and well-maintained and guests can take a dip whenever they like, as the pools are open 24 hours. No lifeguards on duty at 3 a.m though. Hehe. In a way, this is advantageous because as I'm wearing a hijjab, taking a swim in the wee hours is more suitable for me, as there are virtually no people around. If you're a water person and are always looking forward to swimming in the sea whenever you're at a seaside resort, then this resort is poorly suited for you. Yes, it has a beach, and yes, you can swim in the sea if you want to..but you'll probably have some sort of skin disease after that, since the sea water in Port Dickson is well known for being on the dirty side. So best to just stick to the swimming pools and avoid the sea. The sea water is murky anyway.

I find the resort's level of service to be excellent, as we were greeted warmly by the staff wherever they passed us. We were having such a nice time at the resort that we decided to extend our stay by 1 night. Our request for 1 night's extension in the same room were entertained well, considering that at the time it was the school holidays and rooms were normally fully booked. The check in staff were very accomodating, to say the least. On our 2nd day there, my husband secretly arranged for flowers and a birthday cake to be sent to the resort. Upon their arrival, my husband's request for the cake and flowers to be kept chilled in the restaurant's cold room and also for them to be delivered to our room at exactly 12 midnight was entertained by the hotel staff. This impressed us greatly, as they went out of their way to accomodate our requests.

During our stay there, it rained almost everyday in the late afternoons. So we had to make our sightseeing trips in the morning or early afternoons. It might be worthwhile to check the weather forecast if you're planning to stay there.

This resort had nice, spacious walkways that were lined with flowers and also herbs (with the proper signage for educational purposes!) and nice gardens. Furthermore, and this was one of the highlights of our stay there...the resort also has an animal farm! They had chickens, birds, pheasants, peacocks, rabbits, guinea pigs, turtles, etc. All of them were named individually by their caretaker (shout out to Auntie!), a nice Indian lady. The animals were very tame and guests can pet them at leisure and also feed them. This was especially nice because both me and my husband love animals. The animal farm is also something seldom found at other resorts.

In terms of security. although the beach wasn't a private beach, overall we felt very safe while on our stay. There are guards patrolling the resort's grounds both during the daytime and nighttime.

All in all, a great experience for someone who loves gardens with beautiful landscaping, excellent swimming pools, immaculate rooms, animals and wouldn't mind not being able to swim in the sea.

We'll be sure to return to this resort in the future, but this time we'll be staying in the Sea Chalets!

• Liked — The room, the gardens and lanscaping, the swimming pools, the pet farm
  • Disliked — The beach, of course
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
KL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

Avillion is place much talked about by friends and colleagues. This made me look forward to my mid week break. However, the first couple of days were completely ruined by a disfunctioning toilet and poor response from housekeeping, maintenance and front desk.

All plans to destress flew out the window first half hour I stepped into my assigned beach room. The toilet was continuously flowing water
and the tank wouldn't fill up. A call to housekeeping got nothing but a dispassionate "We'll get maintenance to come by". By the next morning, there was still no sign of maintenance, let alone a follow up call from housekeeping.

So I decided to bring my complaint personally to front desk. The front desk person took down my room number and nodded, but seemingly barely listening to my complaints. Still no response from maintenance after more than an hour. It took housekeeping maid service to turn up to clean the room to finally prompt someone to attend to this matter urgently. This comes almost 24 hours after I first checked in.

Most disappointed with the level of service shown and despite the beautiful set up of the hotel, it's unlikely I will return to the resort for another holiday.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The level of service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

My family and I stayed at this place after a not-so-thrilled experience at Tiara Beach Resort, which was a crowded hotel nearby. We stayed at a water challet and it was just lovely, lush garden, beautiful view, and very, very clean. There was a semi private beach near our unit and it was just perfect for my kids, it was as if we owned the place! There were also kids playground, kids garden, petting zoo, swimming pools for adults as well as children. The staff was quite friendly and efficient. If there is one thing we could reall do without the ants...they are just everywhere...no mosquito...just ants and they bit. No idea where they came from but they are just merciless. Other than that, loved this place and definitely wouldn't mind coming back.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the ants
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Avillion Port Dickson? Share your experiences!