“Wholesome holiday for the family” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   KM16 Jalan Pantai, Port Dickson 71050, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Port Dickson
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Wholesome holiday for the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were there in August 2013. We stayed at connecting rooms at 6th floor. Our stay in Thistle Port Dickson has been very memorable for me as well as my dearest family, specially for my children. We were treated like royalty. The room are big but doesnt cost that much, instaed it is clean and complete with facilities. The perpetual friendliness of all the staff was a great experience ever. I would like to thank the assistant manager, Mr Raj for his excellent service. He is impressive and prompt upon check in. He is fantastic. The pool area is big and we very much enjoyed the music band near the beach and the pool bar. I loved this hotel and would highly recommended it. We all love to be there again.
From: Mrs Teoh(KL)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We are very grateful to you for choosing Thistle and for taking the time to give us your comments. It is good to know that we looked after you well.

Raj works very hard to ensure that our guests have a memorable experience and we will pass your comments onto him.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to welcome you and your sister back to our hotel in the future. Our contact details are located at the top of our Trip Advisor page – please let us know if we may be of any service.

John and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Had the best time with my husband and 2 young kids in Thistle. Ideal for small and older kids with 2 children pool and a very big "adult" pool which include a pool bar. life garde are in attendance.

The beach is very close to the hotel and very clean.

The facilities are many and all very clean.

Staff is also very friendly and professional.

Also many shop and restaurants near by.

will definitely go back!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank you for posting your review of Thistle Port Dickson Resort. It is good to see that you enjoyed your visit and that you found the team to be friendly and professional.

We look forward to your return and if we can be of any assistance with your booking, please let us know.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward towards welcoming you back soon.

John & Team
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I took my husband there for his birthday in August and I booked the "Time for 2" package. It was absolutely perfect! The staff was very courteous and helpful. They gave us a nice spacious room facing the beach and the package came with welcome drinks at the bar by the beach whereby you could order almost anything on the menu (apart from one or two really expensive drinks), a nice buffet dinner and then a buffet breakfast the next morning. The stay was very relaxing. We spent half a day at the beach bar and the late afternoon in the beach. It was a great weekend get-away and we would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

We are very grateful to you for choosing Thistle and for giving us your comments. The team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here and we hope to see you back here soon.

If we may be of any service to you in the future, please let us know.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback.

John & Team
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My second stay with Thistle PD (first time was last year) and again never fail to be satisfied. Nice hotel, great pool, great beach and complimentary interactive electronic games. Also beautiful environment, pleasant surrounding with excellent view (if you choose sea view). Generally staff were courteous.
Very convenient if you want to go for seafood / reasonably priced and tasty Chinese food. Just exit the resort, turn left about few km drive you can find good restaurants.
Nevertheless, for the high price that they are charging, I would like to point out a few areas of improvement (otherwise, it is not so value for money). They are:
1)Some basic amenities like room slippers and pen should be available. After all this is not a budget hotel. (they have if requested but why not just leave them in the room?)
2) First time call to "knock-knock" service, respond was slow and had to call another time.
3) Staff at check-in/out counters can be more friendly, and some smile, please. The housekeeping staff were much better.
4) Kids room - dirty and deplorable state. Time to refurbish.

Room Tip: Choose the sea view room if enjoy sitting at the balcony, with a cup of hot coffee and looking out t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you have returned and it is good to see that you enjoyed your stay. We also appreciate your feedback and we are working hard to ensure that we improve in these areas. The kids room is currently being refurbished and we look forward to showing this to you when you return.

For your next stay, it would be our pleasure to see to your booking. Please contact us at the number listed above this page if we can be of any service.

Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The rooms were alright but it's the facilities provided by the hotel that was great for kids. For adults there's a bar in the pool and jacuzzi.
I was there with my family over my birthday and thistle even gave us a free cake. *Thanks thistle!*
This hotel is located further in on the hotel stretch but its worth the extra journey
Check out my detailed review in my blog which highlights why it's so great for kids!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle to celebrate your birthday. We are delighted that your family had a good time and that we have made your stay special. We are very much centered on becoming Malaysia's greatest kids' hotel and to help us on our journey, we have set up a project called "Kids in Charge" whereby, we have recruited ten kids between the ages of eight and twelve years of age to give us their ideas on how we can further expand on our service to kids. There is a Facebook page called "Thistle Kids In Charge" if you would like some further information.

Finally, thank you for the blog post - we love it!

When you are planning a return visit or if I can be of any service to you, please contact me at the number listed above this page.

Petaling Jaya, Selangor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

It was our first family trip to Thistle Hotel Port Dickson in September 2013.Upon our arrival we were greeted warmly by the staffs at the lobby.We had a good holiday and the staffs service at the reception, poolside and recreational room was excellent. They were so polite and friendly. We enjoyed the games that they had arranged for the weekend for families.The breakfast was good with lots of varieties. Our room was lovely with a wonderful view. My family indeed enjoyed our stay in Thistle Hotel PD. Its a great hotel for family and we will definately choose this hotel again for our next trip to PD- Kiran Randhawa- Petaling Jaya Selangor.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family had a great holiday with us.

If we can be of any service now or in the future, please let us know. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed one night here with wife, 2 kids and mum-in-law for a quick getaway. First and foremost, my wife and I love beaches, which factor heavily into whether or not we like a beach resort overall. And Thistle was a pleasant surprise :)

The sand's a combination of brown and gray, so it's not much to look at but it's pretty fine and quite clean. The water is probably as clear as it can get from the mainland (it's about the same as Langkawi, really).

My older boy (4yrs) absolutely loved it and was building and destroying sand castles for a good hour or so. My younger one (2yrs) was terrified when we told him the many holes in the sand were caused by crabs. I got a free banana boat ride myself, which was cool. The one thing we found REALLY odd, was that there weren't any deck chairs on the beach itself, which made lounging there less comfortable than it could've been. Beach access isn't very clear/easy either - you have to walk through a garden rather than a path. There ARE sand flies on the beach, but for some reason only I got bitten - my wife and kids were fine. It could be because I was sitting still for a long time.

We got a deluxe sea-facing twin room and got an extra bed + breakfast for my mum-in-law for RM70 - 80 extra (don't have my receipt here right now, and I can't remember the exact amount). The room was spacious, clean, very comfortable and has Disney Junior as a selectable channel on TV (I swear, this place is awesome for kids). The mini-bar/fridge was empty but was pretty darn cold (and is big enough to fit 1.5L bottles of drinks), for families with younger kids, you could store loads of yogurt / milk / cheese in here too.

The swimming pool was the highlight of the trip and we spent many hours in it (when we weren't on the beach). It's huge and gets pretty deep in some ends. There's a water slide attached to the main pool as well as another funky twin-slide thing in a separate kids' pool. We had an early dinner by the pool - sandwiches and burgers, which tasted rather good.

There's also a pretty awesome children's play area with a ball pit and plastic slides/toys to play with if its raining outside.

And at night, after the kids had gone to bed, my wife and I had a relaxing time at the 'Cumulus' bar/lounge by the beach. The atmosphere was really nice, they played chillax tunes on the sounds system and the bartedner made a good lime Margarita with ice. There's an adults-only pool there as well, though we had too much clothes on (not sure if they'd let you take a dip after dark).

Now for the bad news.

Breakfast was terrible. The spread was pretty big but looked really unappealing. Went for the 'safe' option of eggs, sausages, hash browns and baked beans - the eggs and sausages were ok, but the baked beans were cold and the hash browns were mushy. Tried the chicken porridge and soup noodles, and they were ok. What really got me, though, were the number of FLIES in the area. I skipped the entire cold-cut / cheese / fruits section because of this. We were also swarmed by flies when eating dinner by the pool the evening before.

Come to think of it, there were flies bugging me at the reception area too when I was checking in. Seriously, this is something they have to sort out.

The other problem with Thistle is that it seems to be a popular venue for corporate/company trips. As a result, you get a pretty large number of people here who looked like they've never seen a beach resort before. Transgressions include large groups of fully clothed people jumping into the pool (literally, wearing long track pants and collared shirts with a company logo emblazoned over them - God knows whether they were cooling off after some outdoor activity and doing their laundry at the same time), people clearing their throats and spitting INTO the pool, people leaving empty sugar/creamer and butter packets on the beach and too many annoying people in their 20s-30s there on "team-building" exercises who smoke at all the entrances and who stare at you as if it's a novelty to be carrying a small child in your arms.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will probably come back again, though the bad breakfast, the flies (my God, the flies) and dodgy swimming partners did make the trip less pleasant than it could have been.

ALSO, don't trust Waze if you're using a GPS to get there - it got the location wrong, and I had to call up the hotel for directions.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is good to hear that there were elements of your stay which you enjoyed and we are very sorry that we let you down in some areas. We are very grateful for your very constructive feedback and these comments will be discussed with the team so that we can make the necessary improvements to our performance.

We sincerely hope that you will return to us in the future and if we can be of any assistance at all, please let us know. Our contact details are located at the top of out Trip Advisor home page.

Once again, thank you very much for this review and we hope to see you again soon.

John & The Team

Been to Thistle Port Dickson Resort? Share your experiences!