“Great for kids” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 33 hotels in Port Dickson
Malaysia
“Great for kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The rooms were alright but it's the facilities provided by the hotel that was great for kids. For adults there's a bar in the pool and jacuzzi.
I was there with my family over my birthday and thistle even gave us a free cake. *Thanks thistle!*
This hotel is located further in on the hotel stretch but its worth the extra journey
Check out my detailed review in my blog which highlights why it's so great for kids!

• Stayed September 2013
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle to celebrate your birthday. We are delighted that your family had a good time and that we have made your stay special. We are very much centered on becoming Malaysia's greatest kids' hotel and to help us on our journey, we have set up a project called "Kids in Charge" whereby, we have recruited ten kids between the ages of eight and twelve years of age to give us their ideas on how we can further expand on our service to kids. There is a Facebook page called "Thistle Kids In Charge" if you would like some further information.

Finally, thank you for the blog post - we love it!

When you are planning a return visit or if I can be of any service to you, please contact me at the number listed above this page.

739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Petaling Jaya, Selangor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

It was our first family trip to Thistle Hotel Port Dickson in September 2013.Upon our arrival we were greeted warmly by the staffs at the lobby.We had a good holiday and the staffs service at the reception, poolside and recreational room was excellent. They were so polite and friendly. We enjoyed the games that they had arranged for the weekend for families.The breakfast was good with lots of varieties. Our room was lovely with a wonderful view. My family indeed enjoyed our stay in Thistle Hotel PD. Its a great hotel for family and we will definately choose this hotel again for our next trip to PD- Kiran Randhawa- Petaling Jaya Selangor.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family had a great holiday with us.

If we can be of any service now or in the future, please let us know. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed one night here with wife, 2 kids and mum-in-law for a quick getaway. First and foremost, my wife and I love beaches, which factor heavily into whether or not we like a beach resort overall. And Thistle was a pleasant surprise :)

The sand's a combination of brown and gray, so it's not much to look at but it's pretty fine and quite clean. The water is probably as clear as it can get from the mainland (it's about the same as Langkawi, really).

My older boy (4yrs) absolutely loved it and was building and destroying sand castles for a good hour or so. My younger one (2yrs) was terrified when we told him the many holes in the sand were caused by crabs. I got a free banana boat ride myself, which was cool. The one thing we found REALLY odd, was that there weren't any deck chairs on the beach itself, which made lounging there less comfortable than it could've been. Beach access isn't very clear/easy either - you have to walk through a garden rather than a path. There ARE sand flies on the beach, but for some reason only I got bitten - my wife and kids were fine. It could be because I was sitting still for a long time.

We got a deluxe sea-facing twin room and got an extra bed + breakfast for my mum-in-law for RM70 - 80 extra (don't have my receipt here right now, and I can't remember the exact amount). The room was spacious, clean, very comfortable and has Disney Junior as a selectable channel on TV (I swear, this place is awesome for kids). The mini-bar/fridge was empty but was pretty darn cold (and is big enough to fit 1.5L bottles of drinks), for families with younger kids, you could store loads of yogurt / milk / cheese in here too.

The swimming pool was the highlight of the trip and we spent many hours in it (when we weren't on the beach). It's huge and gets pretty deep in some ends. There's a water slide attached to the main pool as well as another funky twin-slide thing in a separate kids' pool. We had an early dinner by the pool - sandwiches and burgers, which tasted rather good.

There's also a pretty awesome children's play area with a ball pit and plastic slides/toys to play with if its raining outside.

And at night, after the kids had gone to bed, my wife and I had a relaxing time at the 'Cumulus' bar/lounge by the beach. The atmosphere was really nice, they played chillax tunes on the sounds system and the bartedner made a good lime Margarita with ice. There's an adults-only pool there as well, though we had too much clothes on (not sure if they'd let you take a dip after dark).

Now for the bad news.

Breakfast was terrible. The spread was pretty big but looked really unappealing. Went for the 'safe' option of eggs, sausages, hash browns and baked beans - the eggs and sausages were ok, but the baked beans were cold and the hash browns were mushy. Tried the chicken porridge and soup noodles, and they were ok. What really got me, though, were the number of FLIES in the area. I skipped the entire cold-cut / cheese / fruits section because of this. We were also swarmed by flies when eating dinner by the pool the evening before.

Come to think of it, there were flies bugging me at the reception area too when I was checking in. Seriously, this is something they have to sort out.

The other problem with Thistle is that it seems to be a popular venue for corporate/company trips. As a result, you get a pretty large number of people here who looked like they've never seen a beach resort before. Transgressions include large groups of fully clothed people jumping into the pool (literally, wearing long track pants and collared shirts with a company logo emblazoned over them - God knows whether they were cooling off after some outdoor activity and doing their laundry at the same time), people clearing their throats and spitting INTO the pool, people leaving empty sugar/creamer and butter packets on the beach and too many annoying people in their 20s-30s there on "team-building" exercises who smoke at all the entrances and who stare at you as if it's a novelty to be carrying a small child in your arms.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will probably come back again, though the bad breakfast, the flies (my God, the flies) and dodgy swimming partners did make the trip less pleasant than it could have been.

ALSO, don't trust Waze if you're using a GPS to get there - it got the location wrong, and I had to call up the hotel for directions.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is good to hear that there were elements of your stay which you enjoyed and we are very sorry that we let you down in some areas. We are very grateful for your very constructive feedback and these comments will be discussed with the team so that we can make the necessary improvements to our performance.

We sincerely hope that you will return to us in the future and if we can be of any assistance at all, please let us know. Our contact details are located at the top of out Trip Advisor home page.

Once again, thank you very much for this review and we hope to see you again soon.

KL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am totally swept off my feet by the excellence service of the staffs at Thistle Hotel. Going the extra mile for the staffs in Thistle seems like a second nature. Kids and I thoroughly enjoyed the stay.

S Ng

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Port Dickson. We have a great team of people working here and they will be delighted to hear your comments. Above all, staff friendliness is number one on our agenda and we continually strive to develop our people in this area.

We hope to see you again soon and if we may be of any service, please let us know.

Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This were our first visit and really impressed with the service rendered by the hotel staff. We were check in by Jacintha with a big smile on her face and given room 508. Upon entering the room, was impressed of spacious size of the room (so big). In the restaurant most of the staff were so friendly and it gives a feel like at home.The facilities in the hotel is just speechless and we enjoyed the big pool. The infinity pool is just another plus point for the hotel as if you decide to watch sunset (at Cumulus).Overall we had a great time on a weekday and we will definitely come back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback and thank you for choosing to stay with us. The team and I are very happy to see that your stay was a pleasant one.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon and if we can be of any service at all, please contact us via the details at the top of our page.

Again, many thanks for giving us your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

John and Team
Ampang, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The third trip this time is somewhere during Malaysia Day long weekend & holiday, we were there from 15-17 September. Upon arrival greeted warmly by Mr Clown & few familiar faces that always close to our heart; Mr Raj, Mr Dheva & staffs from the hotel's Sports & Recreation department. Tagged along with us is my close friend and her big family, all together we took three rooms. Here's some review for travelers guidance:

1) Room
We managed to stay in Junior Suite and has the best view of the hotel surround, the highest floor at level six, I always like this Suite as I'm traveling with a 4 year old kid and it's spacious enough for him to goofing around. Room was neat, clean & well maintain. The Suite comes with bathtub, separate shower and toilet. Also comes with cozy living room separated the bedroom by a sliding door. Suitable for honeymooners & family traveling with kids.

2) Facilities
We always love this hotel as the swimming pool is large enough with jacuzzi, two kids pool and one infinity pool by the beachside. The pool bar staffs also are very friendly & always helpful. Thanks to Firdaus for entertained us every time we were there. They also provide free ice cream and mineral water for the kids. Pool is clean except maybe due to weekends and long holiday it became a bit not well maintain, but realizing that the staffs there quickly working to clean it up. Kids love this hotel as it is a kids friendly place where every weekends and public holidays, the Sports and Recreation team will set up few fun games for the entire family to participate, some sort of carnival there. They also have Kids Playroom, sand art, kites making, interactive games room for adults, pool table and ping pong too. Guests will never feel bored there as their time will always occupied. The water sports facilities also superb. We went for fish feeding activities to a nearby place by boat (don't expect the water to be as clear as in. Tioman or such, but still can see the colorful fishes swimming), there's jet ski and kayak too and the hotel management allowed the guests to try it for 10 minutes free. There's also gym, tennis court, golf course and spa provided. With this again I thanked Hairel, Ganeson, Peter, Rosli, Fasha, Aida & others for the warm hospitality and being so helpful especially with my son even after three times we were there.

3) F & B
Breakfast was great with a lot of choices from Asians and Western until we can't even decide what to have. The hotel's have three restaurants, for Italian food lovers, then they have Fresh where Asian and West meet and finally my favourite ever Chinese Restaurant; Chinoise. They serve non-alcohol food and a must try is the Szechuan Soup, Soy Steam Seabass a Fish, Fried Rice with Eggs & Chicken Cubes and Lemon Crispy Chicken. Thanks to the chefs and staffs of the F&B in. Thistle for being friendly as always.

Overall, I would love to suggest this hotel for those plan to travel to Port Dickson. A hotel is rated for its star if they can maintain its good hospitality, friendly and experience staffs, service, quality and full of great things to do. Thistle PD is a balance for outdoor, beach and indoor lovers. Team building facilities and Swat Camp also available here. Though during my stay there, one of the days the Hotel having electricity difficulties due to TNB work progress but the management keep on ensured that the guests taken care by providing candles and air cooling fan. They acted fast on this and after two hours, TNB work completed and the electricity is back to normal. In future, maybe the management could consider to change the pillow as I realize it is a bit smelly and retain the experienced staffs as they are actually the backbone of the hotel. Looking forward for next trip here!

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor to enjoy the view with pool view.
Kuala lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

It was my second time here...however, my first trip was business trip, so I couldn't enjoy their facilities. So, this time, I really spend my time with my husband and friend. Feel so calm and I did enjoy their pool, beach and spa....The best about 'Santai Spa' is....they had good masseurs and it makes you feel so relax here...My suggestion only that this hotel need to have a 'Live Band' and karaoke facilities to give more varieties to their customer. Other than that, it's just a perfect escape for anybody who seeks nice and ease holiday.

Room Tip: Sea View room are more exciting than other room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Lexis Port Dickson
#2 of 33 in Port Dickson
3.5 of 5 stars 447 reviews
Free internet...
PRIMALAND Resort & Convention Centre (PRCC)
Pool, Free inte...
Glory Beach Resort
Glory Beach Resort
#9 of 33 in Port Dickson
3.0 of 5 stars 123 reviews

Been to Thistle Port Dickson Resort? Share your experiences!