“Nice resort but food was disappointing” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   KM16 Jalan Pantai, Port Dickson 71050, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Port Dickson
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice resort but food was disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

After noting that this was no 1 on Trip Advisor we stayed at this resort in April 2013 and initial impressions were great. We had lunch in the afternoon in Fresh restaurant but I'm afraid the food didn't live up to the restaurant's name. After lunch we relaxed by the pool which is very nice. It was also quiet which was good although it got busier in late afternoon when it was a bit cooler. The pool bar is nice and Donald the bartender was friendly. For dinner in the evening we chose the same restaurant as this had an Italian menu so we thought we would give it another chance. We both had appetizers. My wife was still eating her soup when her steak arrived. Not very professional. Soup was good. Steak was awful. Maybe we are spoilt with the resto's in KL but this was not good at all. The meat was like rubber. Very disappointing. I ordered a 2007 Chianti red wine and a 2010 Chianti was dleivered to the table. I was told same price. The wine isn't cheap and they could do with a bigger selection. We went to the beach bar Cumulus after dinner and that was good. A bit expensive epsecially when drinking double shots. Overall the hotel was great, food disappointing, staff very friendly but could use better training. Despite the Fresh resto not being great we would still go back. Maybe try the Chinese resto next time. No 1 on Trip Advisor? Hmmmm, can't comment on that as we haven't stayed in other resorts.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. It is good to hear that there were elements of your stay which you enjoyed but I really must apologise that we did not fully meet your expectations.

We take your feedback very positively and have already started to work on improving our delivery.

I will pass your comments onto Donald at the Pool Bar - I am sure he will be delighted to receive this mention.

When you are returning to us in the future, please contact me directly and I will look after your reservation.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to give us your views.

John Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Thank you Thisle for the wonderful friendly and excellent service providered to us. All staffs was very friendly and ready to assist in anyway. We definitely choose Thistle again for our holiday in Port Dickson.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

You are most welcome and thank you for the review.

We will continue to improve on our hotel, its friendliness and service and we hope you will come back to us very soon.

If I can be of any service in the future, please contact me.

Thanks again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Awesome resort for children..I stayed at the resort with a group of friends with 12 extremely hyper kids. The hotel is definitely a child-friendly hotel.. beautiful pool, fantastic customer service with good selection of F&B.
Thumbs up to Donald from the pool side bar with his excellent customer service and keeping the kids (and yes the adults too) contended during our pool/beach time.
Thistle PD...we will be BACK for more!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It sounds like your family had a great time here and that is music to our ears.

We have added a few new family facilities lately such as a second movie room, a second interactive games room and a karaoke room. These are located at our beach bar "Cumulus". The idea here is that adults can sit and relax with a nice cool drink while the kids are being entertained close-by. We will continue to tailor our range of services to meet the needs of families.

We hope to welcome you back soon and please contact me if I can be of any service.

Again, many thanks.

Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

So we asked for nothing but a short, sweet and an average get-together outing with my friends. But what thistle provided us was more than that... From the time we were greeted, to the check-in and the rest of the stay was great. This was our very first gathering and thistle made it very special for us. We are all pleased and will definitely return for our next holiday... Special mention to Donald for the great cocktail, Raj and Siva for accommodating to all our request :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked 2 deluxe rooms and requested for them to be connecting rooms. Managed to get connecting rooms but I was slightly disappointed that the amenities in each room differs. Although they were both deluxe rooms and cost us the same price, one had a standing shower while the other had a bathtub. The room with the bathtub was significantly larger compared to the one without. When we asked the reception why the two rooms are not identical, they said it's just like that. Not too happy but we just had to settle. So my advice, pls inform the hotel if u prefer a room with a bathtub.

Their expansive grounds is enough for everyone as we didn't feel crowded at all even though the resort was almost full. The beach is just a minute walk. And the pool was the biggest I've seen. Complete with 2 children pool and 3 areas for adults with different depth. Love it.

The spa was not the best I've been to. The masseuse could be more gentle with her strokes and learn to apply pressure at the right spot.

My boys love the children's room. But they could do a bit of updating. They need new balls in the ball pit area.

The movie room and the gaming room is the first I've seen in a resort. They screen children's movies in a dark room complete with bean bags. How cosy. The game room had 3 Kinect stations and a staff manning it. You'll never get bored.

The best experience for me was when I came down for breakfast one morning and was led to a wonderfully decorated table with sweets and party hats. I looked around and wondered why this table is so special. Then I realized it was my birthday. After breakfast the staff came out with a birthday cake and sang a birthday song. Very touched.

Overall, the management is excellent in ensuring every guest is special and takes every effort to ensure that there's always something for everyone in the family.

• Stayed March 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

A group of my friends and I stayed at Thistle on April 18th. We booked about 10 rooms. The service from the moment we checked in was five star. Staff were extremely helpful and very accomodative to a bunch of noisy kids :) Donald who was manning the pool bar club was so very helpful.

The kids loved the pool - it was awesome.

Definately will go back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return to us soon.

I will pass your comments onto Donald who, I'm sure, will be thrilled with your comments.

Please let me know if I may be of any service in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Very good hotel. Every member of the family will find somtin exciting here. Mr Shiva- rooms manager and mr Raj from front office were so accomodating to our requests. Thumbs up! To Donald from poolside bar for excellent service . Will definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Thistle Port Dickson Resort? Share your experiences!