“Best Chinese New Year Holiday Yet!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   KM16 Jalan Pantai, Port Dickson 71050, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Port Dickson
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Best Chinese New Year Holiday Yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife received an angpow from her boss and decided to splurge for the long weekend in PD. Our two kids (5 & 7) were promised the beach and and lotsa fun and boy, did the Thistle deliver!

We celebrated my daughter's 5th birthday on Chinese New Year, and it was surprisingly quiet when we checked-in on the 9th. Check-in was a breeze, but they do require a deposit (cash or credit/debit card).

We were given the King-bedded sea-facing room with a balcony on the left wing of the 6th floor. The room was HUGE! My son was so happy to be sleeping on the day bed beside the sea-facing window. The rooms were very clean, and bright. Furniture was tastefully done, and especially appreciate the mirror design.

The air-con was cool and quite, and there were slippers and a pair bathrobes in the wardrobe. Also in there was a safe, an electric mosquito repellent (which we did not need), plus the usual tea and coffee making setup.

The bathroom is clean with a shower in a glass cubicle. The shower is strong, albeit the water doesn't get too hot, sometimes.

TV channels were sufficient and the internet was not too expensive (RM20 per 24 hours).

After we checked in, we decided to explore and this place is a heaven for kids! The pool was by far the largest in PD, with TWO separate sections for kids, equipped with two + 1 water slides. I honestly regretted there were no such thing when I was growing up!!

The private beach was about 100m away from the pool, and has that really relaxed feel to it. There were two swings tied to a tree, and I believe kayaks for rent. Did I also tell you that there was a bar (Cumulus) with their own pool right on that private beach? Marvelous!

My kids had so much fun playing in the sand, and when they, err, sorry - I, had enough of that, there were the free ping-pong and RM3 pool tables. They also had a free Wii room with 3 Wii sets for you to play virtual baseball, golf, boxing and tennis among other things. The lady there (Aidah/Aizah?) was so good with kids, I just had to mention her name.

Right beside the free I-games room was the free kids movies room with daily showings of cartoons. Bean bags on the floor and 12 ft high cartoons - what's not to think you died and reached kids heaven?!

Breakfast spread was great (not Michelin star excellent, but family friendly great), with traditional stuff (nasi minyak, fried noodles, wantan, roti jala, chicken rendang, teowchew porridge, noodle soup, etc) plus the salad, cereal, bread and egg stations. The juice served could have been slightly better though..

Service was fast and friendly, and John (the Hotel GM), could you please give a pat on the back to the Omelette Man who made my daughter laugh with his funny faces? Such things are much appreciated by a parent!

To cut to the chase - This is a fantastic place if you need to get your kids well behaved for the next couple of months or so. Bring them here and tell them if they behave, your coming here again (even though you know you simply want to).

Room Tip: Sea-facing wing-end rooms for sheer ocean-view beauty, near the main lift if you're piggybacking...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melaka, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hotel was nice and busy hotel during chinese new year. We was entertained by Clown at the lobby great. Check in too slow and our room is not ready at 4 pm. After got room key I was at the lobby and organized my luggage to my room. I heard people talk very loud with rude and arrogant voice at the lobby and I saw a white man tall guy with bold headed scolded the poor reception at the lobby.I beleive that is GM as I saw another 3 staffs looking at poor receptionist. This is totally bad attitude. I believe another guest who at the lobby also realized that and agreed with me. This is Asian country and I feel bad to poor reception. Hotel was great as lot of things to do. I cannot enjoy the watersport as lot of people on Q. Went to Spa to try out the treatments but not available as no terapiest available. Nice swimming pool but crowed with people. My advice to plan your vacation and try to avoid long holidays. Rates was higher without breakfast and cannot enjoy anything as all full.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I apologise that you did not fully enjoy your experience here and I assure that we will use your comments to further improve our service.

If you are returning to Port Dickson in the future, please contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to serve you in any way I can.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My family and I had a bad journey during Chinese New Year as Terribly jammed and hope we will get a good experience in hotel. We booked on Thistle Family Plus package which is very good deal as we can enjoy all the facilities. We had 2 adult and 2 children. When we arrived we were greeted by young man at the front with welcome drink and cold towel which was great impression. We have to Q in at the lobby and another men with red shirt with tie and I believe as a manager standing at the lobby without offer any assistance and help with our check in. He only directed the staff to carry the luggage which he only with his hand phone.This is bad experience We finally was attended by young lady at the reception. She was explained all the entitlement which was great. Went up room was small and dirty with fungus and grouting. Air cond was rather hot and maintenance in room not so great. I agreed with other review as well. If we will got choice we will staying another properties.

Room Tip: A/C not good condition
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review and thank you for booking our "Thistle Family Plus" package. While I am pleased to hear that there were elements of your stay which you enjoyed, I really must apologise for letting you down on the overall experience. First impressions are of vital importance and we will use your feedback to ensure that we get this right every time. We have also noted your feedback regarding the room maintenance and we have dealt with this but, again, we will need to ensure that we get this right, every time.
It would be my great pleasure to welcome you back to Thistle in the future and I can be contacted via the business listing at the top of the page. Please let me know if I may be of any service.

Once again, many thanks for posting your comments - we very much appreciate it.

Cyberjaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We frequently escape from KL to PD. Be it a day trip or a one night stay.
This time, we chose Thistle.
Pros
1-Big room to accomodate all of us(4 children+us)
2-Kids enjoyed the swimming pool very much
3- buffet breakfast spread is great

Cons
1-Beach was no so clean
2- Staffs were so-so, they should learn how to greet guests
3-Dont like the room tiles. Prefer the carpeted one.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the pool, the room and the breakfast and we will certainly consider your proposals for improvement.

If you wish to contact me for any further assistance or future bookings, my contact details is listed above this page.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I was here for an overnight conference and I have to say that the room was great and the service was good. Not much to do in terms of activities as Port Dickson isn't exactly known for the great beaches. If you had to be here, the hotel is fine, and the service is good. I was not a big fan of their international buffet restaurant however. On the bright side, if you play golf, they have a golf course here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review, I am glad that elements of your stay met your expectation. I can certainly look into introducing more activities besides the ones that we already have.
Besides Golf, we have the daily 'Act Zone' activities such as Boules, Croquet, Top Spinning, Sepak Raga, Beach Volleyball etc. which could be of interest next time.

If you plan to return to Port Dickson in the future, I would be glad to assist with your booking - my contact details are located at the top of this page.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The staff are very friendly,& the breakfast/lunch taste are q nice,only lack of variety.the room is average only,the bath room was q smelly when i check in to the room,& the water tab have some rusty water flow out at first.overall is a good place for vacation break away

• Stayed February 2013
ThistleGMPD, General Manager at Thistle Port Dickson Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Please accept my apologies for the condition of your room. Many thanks though for the feedback as it helps us gauge where improvements are needed.

I hope you will come back soon and when you have decided on when to return, it would be my pleasure to see to your booking. I can be contacted at the business listing above this page.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here just for a night when we decided to take a drive to Port Dickson one public holiday in KL, so we got a room at quite an expensive rate. We didn't mind the price until we got to our room. The room had a funny smell when we got in. I guess it was due to it's aging condition. Shower head was looking really tired and close to rusting!
The next morning we had the buffet breakfast which was just ok. Then we head to the beach. The beach was nice with really powdery sand and water was calm. It would have been good if there were beach beds/benches around the beach for us to put towels etc. We had to put our things directly on the sand so naturally our clothes/towels will all get sandy! It was annoying! Anyway it was great swimming at the beach and their spacious pool.
The resort would really be fit for those traveling with kids as they have plenty of activities around the resort.
At night time we went for a drink at their beach bar with really good Filipino band playing. We had a great time.
Checking out was a bit annoying too. We understand it was a busy period but I still feel they need to be more organized on their check out procedure. First time I've seen that long queue in the reception..it was like waiting to get a ride on a train on a busy day!
Overall I'd say Thistle is a good choice for a good stay in Port Dickson. We don't mind staying there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We have been working hard to ensure that the beach is clean and tidy so it is good to read that you enjoyed it. I take note of your comments for future improvements and we are already working on these. Your feedback is very important to us and we are very grateful.

When you decide to return in the future, please contact me if I may be of any service.

John Murphy

Been to Thistle Port Dickson Resort? Share your experiences!