“Lovely hotel by the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Thistle Port Dickson Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   KM16 Jalan Pantai, Port Dickson 71050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Port Dickson
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Lovely hotel by the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

When we first checked in, we requested for a garden view, thinking that we will get a view of the golf course. Unfortunately, the view we got at the 5th floor was just the roof top of the building below. The room we were given was a bit gloomy, lights were not working properly, the toilet was a bit smelly and the TV remote was missing and it took the staff more than half an hour to send one. We later requested for a change of room to the sea view and got a room at the third floor with a view of the pool and the sea. Much better. The room was bright, airy and the reception responded to our request very quickly. We had a nice quiet time there and my soon enjoyed the pool very much because it has varying depths. Unfortunately, for breakfast the next morning at around 9.30am, the room was crowded, food was not replenished as quickly as we hoped for and table was not cleared. We had to get the cutlery by ourselves and had to wait a while for the food. As one of the best hotels in PD, I wished the food selections were better. I also think it's high time the hotel provide free internet at the rooms since many lower star hotels are already providing this.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and ask for a sea view. It's worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just to drop my review for this hotel, because I love this hotel so much beside Avillion Port Dickson. These 2 are my favorite hotel in PD.

I've been staying at Thistle Hotel few time since there were name by Guoman, and the hotel and staff never let me down.

SUMMARY
- Nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff - My family love to stay here.
- Hotel look even more better after the change from Guoman to Thistle. I think they did some refurbishment.
- Spacious lobby and nicely decorated : Felt very welcome when you arrive there.
- Room was nice and make u feel very comfy : Love the bed! - Tips, as for the sea facing room on the high floor, so that you can see nice view of the sea and sunset.
- They have a big swimming pool and kids pool. My son love the swimming pool.
- I like the breakfast NICE! :D : But during school holiday please go early breakfast. otherwise no place to sit :) maybe the breakfast so good people tend to eat in the hotel rather go outside to find for breakfast.
- They have private beach, nice and the beach only belong to Thistle, you not sharing with other hotels, so it not crowded. Wife love their beach.
- The have bar / cafe at the beach. Nice! love the view and cozy decoration by the beach. At night they have life band, not sure now.

Overall I personally like this hotel and recommend for couple for family to stay either for short stay or for the long stay.

Room Tip: higher level room ask for sea view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Children friendly hotel when it comes to food. Below 6-7, kids eat free if adults opt fir buffet. I am somewhat surprised with the lower prices of food in this hotel. Kid's menu costs rm10 and above and good enough for kids. But I hope they have healthier food selections.

Bummer that the main pool is deep. 1.8-2.5m. Too deep for novice swimmer like me. Children's pool is too small.

Not much of activities for children in this place- I mean nature related ones in light of natural resource in surrounding (should do a big sand pit area for children to play on the beach). Video game room, movies are not my idea of good activities.

My car broke down upon arrival. And I needed cash to pay for the repair. Hotel made rip-off arrangement with taxi operator. Short distance to and fro costed me RM60.

That's the only sad experience that marred our experience with this hotel.

I was standing behind the front desk waiting for my turn to check out. The manager ( a westerner) suggested for me to take a seat at the waiting area and will shout out to me when the front desk is free... I never got a called and had to queue up all over again.

Should have better front desk management at busy hour.

Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed from 24/12-26/12. The hotel itself was nice and certainly improved from my last stay (previously was Guoman). There are pros and cons from my stay that certainly made an impression.
check in was smooth, but the front desk was not aware of the "Signature" rewards programme.. she promised to come back with info... which she unfortunately didnt care about.
We had the xmas eve buffet dinner... average selection of food with watered down coffee...
Breakfast selection was ok. The roti jala was amazing, but I could not say the same about the egg station as the omelette prepared looks more like scrambled eggs with tiny bits of ingredients. coffee was much better for breakfast.
The room was clean and was very comfortable.
The main swimming pool was well maintained, the cleaners clean them every morning. as for the pool by the Cumulus bar,.. it was filled with sand, it seems like everyone just came over for a dip after the beach to get rid of the sand before heading back!
1 positive comment is the great staff (I didn't get his name), he was in charge of the pool bar and the morning breakfast. Despite the busy crowds especially during Christmas breakfast, he still maintained his smile and attend to customers needs and he was really polite to the guest... that is customer service!

Room Tip: higher level rooms (4 and above for the seaview)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We spent one night here after our trip to langkawi. This hotel is at the end of a very long road, which gives it a well hidden location.
The grounds back onto the pool and beach, which is great.
The rooms are clean and well equipped.
The restaurants on site seem very good too.
Pool is very nice.
All in all, a great hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

After much of the hectic life in kl, we were made to feel very much of ease upon reaching this place. The ambiance and tranquility of this place is food for the soul and mind. In fact we are looking forward for our next visit. Job well done guys.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

one night isnt enough to really enjoy the hotel and port dickson especially.

here goes my review.

rode my bike with a friend there on 24th Dec (Christmas Eve) and we were greeted with a huge sign by the main road. it was easy finding the hotel but i realised the sign is only in the direction of vehicles coming from PD town. Was greeted by a friendly security guard by the post asking for our intention. i feel safe when they actually do tt, knowing that they screen their visitors. =) was ushered to park my bike right smack at the front of the lobby. to fellow bikers, i feel very2 confident to park my bike at this hotel without any worries. visually, the lobby's very pleasant. the only place tt offers wifi. (it would be perfect if wifi is available in the room.) greeted by a very friendly receptionist who gives good recommendations to food and everything else. deluxe sea view room was awesome. clean and nothing more to ask for. the beach's a bit quiet and under-utilised and would have been better if there are seating areas along the beach. went to the CUMULUS bar tt night and pretty much enjoyed myself with a simple x'mas party. entertaining live band with great ambience by the beach. breakfast was great with huge variety. Upon checking out, decided to return to singapore by PEDAS LINGGI and there was a staff who gave precised directions. Highly recommended for couples, families, even for solo travellers. More of a relaxing environment to destress. =) keep up the good job guys.

Room Tip: if u're going for sea view, take higher stories as the trees between the hotel and sea is quite...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Thistle Port Dickson Resort? Share your experiences!